Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

John Galt

Vendor
Stetson Nutria Quality in rare chocolate brown. This is a project hat. Re-blocked it just after taking these photos and will put a new liner & sweat in tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377778.486291.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377818.436635.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377849.235753.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377891.336259.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377919.185946.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376377949.136142.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Great color. I really like the hat logo on the sweatband!

Here's a closer shot. It says "Owner Ashton the Hatter."

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376379952.083860.jpg

The felt is amazing too. I usually clip the logo and other markings from the rotten bands (this one is falling apart) and glue them behind the new sweat with spray glue so as to save the important info. The spray glue makes it a lot like a post-it & doesn't seem to damage the felt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376379453.290607.jpg

And the new crease & roll, along with some of my new Beaver Brand (and Keen) crown blocks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376380068.769882.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I like it. And I don't go much for brown hats...

I need to pick a band. I'm contemplating:

1. A durable leather band, maybe black with silver conches or studs;

2. A real brown bridle leather band with a bridle buckle;

3. An old fashioned mid-width grosgrain band & bow;

3. A thin grosgrain band in a contrasting color;

4. A thin grosgrain band in the same color.

Of these, the bridle band appeals most to me. I made one for a hat I refurbished fir my brother, and it came out nice. I'll post a pic of that & see what you all think of it.

John Galt

Vendor
Here's the new sweat and liner. These are Leko products. Not the best sweat, but it will do for a while, until I buy a gross of good ones. The main issue I have with it is that the leather is weak and always tears at the bottom stitches where the sweat is cut & sewn back together, and therefore always requires extra stitching to hold it together there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376727753.422155.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376727810.486842.jpg

Anyway, this is ready for a hatband. Here's the one I made from a bridle for my brother's fishing style hat, made from a stripped down Blltmore I bought at an antique store for $5.00. I'm thinking about making another for this hat:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376728045.870406.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376728073.387058.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Great job on the sweatband. I wish I had the skill and patience to sew a sweatband.

That old Nutria would look good with a horse hair band too. You can find some very nice horse hair bands on Ebay.

frussell

One Too Many
I agree with the horsehair band. If you want the hat to stay western, a mid-width ribbon or two cord ribbon would be great on that old hat, and keep it period accurate. You can always add a horsehair or leather hat band over the ribbon, like most cowboy hat wearers do. The bridle leather belt is nice, but would make it look more like a shooting or fishing hat. You've got my admiration just by sewing in your own sweats, that's hard work. Good luck, and good score, that's a killer hat. Frank.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks all! I will pick a horsehair band and/or a mid-width ribbon, I think. I may have trouble choosing. Both are pretty authentic, and I have no westerns with either trim. I love these Nutria and Nutria Quality hats, and have a few. I actually have another one the way from an eBay seller. Here's a before shot. Don't know yet whether I'll do anything but clean it up. It should be here Monday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376798201.634151.jpg

I grabbed this one at a shockingly low price. I may try one of Henry Ermatinger's cleaning solutions or Naptha, but Scout hat cleaner has been pretty good to me thus far...

John Galt

Vendor

I found some pretty cool westerns today while out and about. This one had a real nice hand. A little on the big side though! :D

That one looks good on you. Might make a good project hat if the price is right. When resizing though, I like to go up rather than down, especially on light colored hats. The stitch marks and fading stains tend to be visible when going down on a light colored hat, because they move out onto the brim. Sizing up can sometimes be accomplished with a stretcher, which doesn't present that problem. If it's more than can safely be stretched, the fading and/or stitching holes can be hidden under the new ribbon. No such option when the ring is out there on the brim. Here's an example: my first effort at downsizing was on an old Portis I resized for my little boy (cost $.99 for the hat, my labor priceless)):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376798843.808617.jpg

This is all right for a little kid who wants a hat like dad's, but no gent wants to wear something like this.

Here's one the ladies at Paul's in SF did for him, from an old Champ (cost $.99 for the hat - nasty & greasy, I cleaned it before having them resize it; $150.00 for labor - I didn't realize it would be so expensive & walked away a little embarrassed, which is why I made the other one myself).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376799115.191441.jpg

the point is that color plays an important role in downsizing. The ladies obviously did a much better job than I did on my first attempt, but with a block and a dark hat, I think I could now do just as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters