Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

John Galt

Vendor
Nice... I like your crease.

Thanks. I did not change it - I believe it is original. I am tempted to do a high & kind of rough pinch like Tom Mix actually wore most of the time (as opposed to the so-called Gus crease) but I like this one too.

I guess I will just have to buy another high crowned wide brimmed cowboy hat to do that with. Sigh...

Don't know if it's a original nor how old can it be.
20130620b.jpg

Probably early 80's at the oldest, when JD started their major merchandising push...

John Galt

Vendor
Watch out for low branches ;)

That's a very striking find. Not something I'd wear on this side of the pond, but beautiful nonetheless.

You might give it a try. The 11th Doctor sure looked classic in his Stetson. Also, I read somewhere that Christy's actually has the original patent on the Cowboy hat, so I'm sure they could make you one...

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might give it a try. The 11th Doctor sure looked classic in his Stetson. Also, I read somewhere that Christy's actually has the original patent on the Cowboy hat, so I'm sure they could make you one...

Interesting about Christy's. I think an OR is about as far as you could push the western style over here before people thought you were wearing fancy dress.

TipTop

Practically Family
Gabby Hayes Lives…I got this wild west shooter hat on ePrey, including what can only be described as a hat vault; (it's so sturdy that it contains a warning NOT to use it as a stool or seat!)

The hat, by Great Plains Hat Co., Bellevue, NE contains the original maker's card and notes: Model, The Foreman, 1883, including the block number, from the Casper WY 1880 collection. Seems to be a decent grade 15X (75% beaver, 25% rabbit) is very firm, but of a soft hand, both for ~$100. The leather band is also decent grade (conchos are heavy and leather is quality). Now I have to decide what to do with it, although that upturned front brim strikes me as something that might be convenient for shotgunning.

Does anyone else remember western sidekick Gabby Hayes?
17438342-md.jpg

17438343-md.jpg

17438344-lg.jpg

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I sure remember him. I bought a $5 collection of OLD John Wayne westerns (when it looked like Duke had to get pass from school to work in the movies) and they had Hayes in almost every one of them.

Are you sure that is a hat carrier? It looks like a freeze proof horse waterer with a mirror on it.:D
Looks to be a nice hat but I can't tell if that is a crease or the result of laying on the parcel shelf behind the back seat of a car for too long.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Love those old John Wayne movies, but they are really all the same. John helps damsel in distress whose old man is being strong armed by bad guys for gold/oil rich land. Gabby helps. Dad dies or recovers. Horse chase scene ensues, in which John jumps into a tree, jumps down on bad guy and saves the day.

Love the hats though, and funny that you mention these shows. I just rebuilt a 1978 outback collection hat and hand-creased it back into the buckaroo style for a 66 year old former working cowboy who just couldn't part with all those memories. Every nick & crease had a story.

Him: "The stain that was here used to be part of a guy's face. He got kicked by a wild horse as I was riding by."

Me: "Wish you'd told me that before I washed it out by hand without gloves."

True story. I should have taken pics.

It was pretty cool though. He looked like he was meeting an old friend when I gave it back to him. Then he turned down the kettle roll brim I'd spent an hour shaping by hand and walked away grinning.

John Galt

Vendor
Looks to be a nice hat but I can't tell if that is a crease or the result of laying on the parcel shelf behind the back seat of a car for too long.

I've got an old Stetson Nutria Quality with a similar crease, and have seen it in old catalogues. Don't know what it's called, but it was popular once. it looks like a rancher from the side.

John Galt

Vendor
Funny thing about the Tom Mix though - I've looked at literally hundreds of photos of the man, and it looks like he usually just pinched his hat roughly way up high, rather than actually sporting the crease that is named after him.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I have a Stetson "Gus", but it looks like the crease is really a "Montana" crease. Either way, good looking hat which I love wearing. I also have a Stetson "Lonesome Creek" crusher which has a Gus (Montana) crease.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TWD, Rick Grimes' Hat

Yeah, I watch "The Walking Dead" and I'm preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse...but I need a hat to complete my preparations...I like Rick Grimes' hat but I don't know who makes it...anybody have any ideas who the maker might be?...

4eq7.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a new (to me) one: the Cow Track crease, Resistol 50. Nice hat, got it cheap, but it came crushed & needed a little TLC.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374363456.464362.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374363470.298408.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner