Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I like the angled cut on the frayed edge John Galt. All of the frayed edge bows I have ever seen have been cut straight. That is very sharp.
I too like the angled cut. I have seen some frayed edges look more worn with the frayed not so geometric (the frayed part).

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I like the angled cut on the frayed edge John Galt. All of the frayed edge bows I have ever seen have been cut straight. That is very sharp.

+1 to dh66 & Joao. That hat is nice! The bow work is awesome! I like the frayed 45 angle cut on that! If only Dan Blocker were still alive to see it! Very nice John G. Excellent work!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I really like the 45 degree cut. The reason, why it's rarely seen, is probably that the weaving is done in square angles. Therefore it's a lot easier to fray the ends, if they are cut in a straight angle. Well done, Sir ;)

I do think, that it's too asymetric, though. I would probably have cut the tails a little shorter - but that's just a matter of taste and details :)

John Galt

Vendor
That is an interesting tidbit. De we have any dates on that?

No, I didn't save it. I'll see if I can find it again though. It was online, I think.

Most sources talk about the paper straw, but this from Merriam-Webster online is consistent with the older usage I mentioned.

Main Entry: shantung straw
Variant(s): also shantung
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s):
Usage: sometimes capitalized Shantung
: a fine smooth hat straw woven from buntal

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Alan, I didn't get any real content from your link, unfortunately.

From The American Hatter, Vol. 48, 1919:

3aqasu7a.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I really like the 45 degree cut. The reason, why it's rarely seen, is probably that the weaving is done in square angles. Therefore it's a lot easier to fray the ends, if they are cut in a straight angle. Well done, Sir ;)

I do think, that it's too asymetric, though. I would probably have cut the tails a little shorter - but that's just a matter of taste and details :)

Thanks Olė. I appreciate that. I left them long because it is a very big hat for a very big man, and I thought they would balance well. I'll let you know if he agrees with you :)

Last edited:

SknyBlt

New in Town
Hi, new member here. I hate to post this here, but haven't found a better place. I've enjoyed this thread and would like to throw some pics of my hat in the mix, but can't figure out how to upload images. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, new member here. I hate to post this here, but haven't found a better place. I've enjoyed this thread and would like to throw some pics of my hat in the mix, but can't figure out how to upload images. Any help is appreciated.

Got to have 15 post to use the built-in feature. If you use a photo hosting site, like photobucket, you can embed the IMG url for the photo & show them immediately.

SknyBlt

New in Town
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and created a Photobucket account. The hat was made by Buckaroo Hatters. 50% Beaver / 50% Hare. I wear it almost everyday for work and going out. Fits perfect. He's local so he made sure it was perfect before I walked out the door. I'll definitely be doing business with him again.
image_zpsfed830af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zps7a4bc92b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsfa070cab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow, sknyblt! Sometimes simple is indeed the most sublime. Welcome, and thanks for posting another prime example of Mike's work.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

SknyBlt

New in Town
Thanks for the compliments. I forgot to add the "specs". 7 1/8" hat size, 4 1/4" crown, 3 3/4" brim. It's either silverbelly or darkbelly. Though the pics don't show it, it's actually a darker version of silverbelly then I'm use to seeing so probably darkbelly. I forgot to ask Mike. I'm happy about it being a "darker" version since I wear it so much and silverbelly can easily become a work only hat. I plan to have another one done in pecan or whiskey at some point.

DTQ

New in Town
I need to have a new ribbon put on this possibly this weekend if the seamstress at the local hat shop is working. I was thinking about a contrasting color like red. Any suggestions or thoughts? uploadfromtaptalk1406816313001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav