Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My Knott's Berry Farm western, with a new brim curl and fresh crease.

tahyvary.jpg
mu7avyra.jpg

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Frank, that's exactly what I was imagining. Do you suppose a western wear shop or boot barn might be able to implement one?

John Galt

Vendor
Frank, that's exactly what I was imagining. Do you suppose a western wear shop or boot barn might be able to implement one?

I have two 1/4 inch brim curling irons and am willing, but you really should consider contacting Oliver (Hatter4). He has many different sizes and many years of expertise.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yep! Mike would be my first call, for sure. I just wanted to see if I could avoid sending it anywhere, since its probably a hat that will get less wear from me.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
National Day of the cowboy is celebrated, in New Mexico, the 4th Saturday of July every year. Everyone is encouraged to wear a western hat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's my contribution to the thread. This is one of my Resistol Stagecoaches. I re-creased the crown to a Center Dent and finished putting on this vintage mid-ribbon and western style bow. I got the idea for the bow design from some that I saw on US military Campaign hats from the 1890s era....

RS_04.jpg

RS_05.jpg

RS_01.jpg

Before:

Resistol_Vintage_02.jpg

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is the one I converted several years ago. A Stetson 5X from the 1990s. It might give Joao palpitations because it was originally a four-inch brim. I made it a 2-7/8 incher.
stetson_5X.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a NOS 7x Shantung Hoss Cartwright hat by Biltmore in a size 7 3/4. I put a new ribbon & bow on it for a friend. First attempt at a frayed edge bow. I'm reasonably pleased.

usy4uvyg.jpg

ysuzaza7.jpg

eje2yheg.jpg

6evu7a5u.jpg

quna5ezu.jpg

It is real straw not paper, I believe, but I could be wrong [Edit - I was wrong - it's paper]. I've read about this and seem to recall the term Shantung being used to describe real straw hats before the term was appropriated for paper straw hats. At any rate, this one is not heavily shellacked like most modern Shantung hats, and although it appears machine-weaved it is a pretty decent straw hat.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
It does looks really nice. I think frayed edge doesn't have to be perfectly geometric. It needs to look used.

Well said Joao. I honestly didn't try to get it perfect, thinking it was right for the western with a little character. I do want to do one precisely, but another time, and for a gentleman's hat...

I like the angled cut on the frayed edge John Galt. All of the frayed edge bows I have ever seen have been cut straight. That is very sharp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925