Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
What is the best way to shape an Open Crown Straw cowboy hat without cracking the straw? The open crowns I have encountered have also already been shellacked. I have been shaping some felts (Crown and Brim) and a few straws (brim only) and was recently asked if I could shape an open crown shellacked straw. I answered the individual by declining to work on an open crown straw. I have no experience with that and I would not appreciate some novice lying to me and destroying my hat; so I was honest with person. So, now I am seeking some advice that I may apply while practicing on my own straw hat. Thank you for any advice you may offer.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
When I've shaped the crowns of straw hats, I've relaxed the stiffener by steaming the heck out of it and doing the shaping before it sets again. Usually works pretty well.

On a couple of occasions, I've gotten frustrated and put the hat under the shower, then shaped while still wet. Believe it or not, this has worked quite well too.

Renault

One Too Many
I remember, in times past, smaller western wear stores (the mom & Pop type) there would be a #3 washtub full of water on the floor specifically used for the shaping of straw hats.

Not being a straw hat wearer, I do not know if this practice is still employed. Hard to find the old mom & pop shops anymore too! My great uncle ran one in Rocksprings Texas for years.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Thank you everyone. Steam was my initial guess as to what to use, but I was not confident that I had a full understanding.
I will experiment with a straw hat I own and see what my hands are capable of. Thank you once more.

Resistol 3x Western in silverbelly.

96af48ba472b496be42b7f7bc3a6afee.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely gorgeous, David! The buckaroo is masterfully done.

So is the black sheep, of course, but I've seen that one already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner