Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Ok, here is my Stetson 3X that I threatened to crease fore and aft like bamaboots did on one of his (though I understand he reverted back to a cattleman).

That 3X looks good, Mark. If you're referring to my No. 1 that I creased, I've kept the crease as it's kind of grown on me. I've also done something similar to one of my western Panama's.

You just gotta live it...

I-see-by-your-outfit.jpg

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Thoroughbred 10X earlier this morning while running errands.

View attachment 126836
View attachment 126835
Was in the area of what's left of the hanging tree so I stopped. Need to come at sunrise for the soft morning light to photograph. Lots of stories about this tree. Last hanging was a horse thief 130-135 yrs ago. Lightening struck it around 50 yrs ago. Most of the dead tree has rotted away now.
Love that open crown Jack.

Ok Gents...what’s the minimum brim width to get in this here club. I don’t wanna get thrown out on my *** first post. Any other protocols or etiquette tips to keep a guy in line?? I know...no a** err blowin kisses!!
B

Hey, I thought you were going to thin the hat herd and here you are expanding into westerns? ;)

You have some GREAT hats that definitely make the transition to the western side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Martin Murphey did a lot of justice to Marty Robbins songs also.

Just found this website recently. Been meaning to send the author an email asking about his book too. I have coffee table books on "The Wild Bunch" & "Easy Rider".

http://lonesomedoveremembered.com/

And finally it's tough watching a good man outlive his time & usefulness. Always liked this short clip:

HJ, you're spot on about Murphey.

That was a fun read on lonesome Dove. let me know about your book inquiry.

I enjoyed that clip. I've been a James Gammon fan for about as long as I can remember. I can pretty much just listen to him talk. His character in Monte Walsh sure knew when he had outlived his time and his usefulness was over.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Here is an early-mid 70's Bradford (at this point Resistol). Quite the sweep to the brim sides......nice silverbelly......brim is quite stiff.....crown much softer. Dimensions are: 5 1/2 inch open crown (front 5" as bashed), 4 inch brim, nice 6 cord ribbon. I love the liner......No wear at all! Nothing, absolutly pristine. Not sure what I will do with this one........probably at least flatten out the brim......not sure about the crease, it is not exactly a "cattleman", I really like the shaped center crease and deeper side pinches. Time will tell.
Would keep the crown crease and flatten the brim.

View attachment 127100 View attachment 127101 View attachment 127102
Hell i don’t know. This one’s brim is out there and crown is up there. Is it a western? If so i maybe got a couple round here.
B

View attachment 127134 View attachment 127135 View attachment 127136 View attachment 127137 Well alrighty then. Since i know what we’re shootin for.
I’ll throw this one in. A dirty a** hundred. Don’t think it’s been seen. A Dirty Bird for sure....and Bird’s the Word!! Ha
Think it was a workin man’s hat.
B

I consider them both westerns but my thinking on westerns may be different than others. Though I tend to agree with gtdean48 for the most part, I think westerns can be divided into western dress or cowboy hats. I look at OR's and the clones with less than 3" brims as western dress and those above a 3' brim as cowboy hats. The weight of the felt along with the stiffness of the brim and crown also play a part. Bowen I would venture to say that both of these hats were considerably stiffer in their youth. (No jokes from the peanut gallery) My 40's Nutria Quality is soft and pliable in both crown and brim but it is still a western/cowboy hat. I would imagine that age and use softened it considerably. I've considered applying shellac to it because the brim won't retain it's shape.

Bowen, that Boss Raw Edge with a brim binding still throws me for a loop.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I consider them both westerns but my thinking on westerns may be different than others. Though I tend to agree with gtdean48 for the most part, I think westerns can be divided into western dress or cowboy hats. I look at OR's and the clones with less than 3" brims as western dress and those above a 3' brim as cowboy hats. The weight of the felt along with the stiffness of the brim and crown also play a part. Bowen I would venture to say that both of these hats were considerably stiffer in their youth. (No jokes from the peanut gallery) My 40's Nutria Quality is soft and pliable in both crown and brim but it is still a western/cowboy hat. I would imagine that age and use softened it considerably. I've considered applying shellac to it because the brim won't retain it's shape.

Bowen, that Boss Raw Edge with a brim binding still throws me for a loop.
I use to like a big brim when I was young but when I saw the Hag sporting shorter brims in about 1985 and it looked good I went to 3". Then the older I got it diminished to 2.75" max. Old man style.:):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner