Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
City Slicker...

optimo_western_1-png.126209

optimo_western_2-png.126210

optimo_western_3-png.126211

optimo_western_4-png.126212

optimo_western_5-png.126213

optimo_western_6-png.126214

Chicago is just an overgrown cattle town, right?
I'd wear that one year round, perfect hat. And just my size too! Nice catch. :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Was just listening to that song on a Robbins CD the other day. That particular song always makes me sad.

Made me think about reading the Lonesome Dove series of books again & watching the mini series.
I love Lonesome Dove. I even registered a showdog I owned as "Augustus McCrae".
The other books... Not so much.
And Burl Ives called that song "A Cowboy's Lament." My Mom listened to it often when I was a kid, so I know it by heart from a young age.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
The crown on Westerns never rakes down to the back...never seen an example on either a dress or cowboy Western. Maybe Roy Rogers did it ever so slightly.

Well, now you have ;) . Unless we’re talking about being historically accurate, and most current “western” hats are not, I think you can shape them anyway you want. I’m not a big believer in contrived rules, and I don’t think many of us are these days. You know way more about western hats than I ever will (or want to :) ) but aside from our personal preferences why not mix and match crease types? From what little I do know, 19th century cowboys and such liked to experiment with their hats and equipment and prized individualism over conformity. There wasn’t a Gus crease until there was, and there want a Montana crease until there was. Now we have a rear tapered western. Looks great to me.

As to what defines a western hat, I have no idea. I don’t think a bowler/derby is western although they were worn a lot in the “old west.” Is it brim width? Is it intended use? No clue, but like Stewart's test, I know it when I see it.” I’m also fine with hybrid western/city hats.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, really I’m not.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
"A Cowboy's Lament" is a different song, at least the version Jewel sang is.

CORRECTION: Max you're correct on Burl Ives, I guess. This is the song by Jewel by the same name.

I'd much rather look at Jewel than Burl!
Hahahaha. I agree, but I still love Burl Ives.

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well, now you have ;) . Unless we’re talking about being historically accurate, and most current “western” hats are not, I think you can shape them anyway you want. I’m not a big believer in contrived rules, and I don’t think many of us are these days. You know way more about western hats than I ever will (or want to :) ) but aside from our personal preferences why not mix and match crease types? From what little I do know, 19th century cowboys and such liked to experiment with their hats and equipment and prized individualism over conformity. There wasn’t a Gus crease until there was, and there want a Montana crease until there was. Now we have a rear tapered western. Looks great to me.

As to what defines a western hat, I have no idea. I don’t think a bowler/derby is western although they were worn a lot in the “old west.” Is it brim width? Is it intended use? No clue, but like Stewart's test, I know it when I see it.” I’m also fine with hybrid western/city hats.

Brent

"Contrived rules". I never knew how to define that. I detest them, and now I know what to call them. Thanks.

Brent

Handsome, I'm not quite sure why you would even post in this thread when, as you say you neither know nor care about Western hats. I would never dream of myself going on the Beret thread with a similar post. But I will defer to your opinions & expertise, & have deleted my posts accordingly.

Handsome, I'm not quite sure why you would even post in this thread when, as you say you neither know nor care about Western hats. I would never dream of myself going on the Beret thread with a similar post. But I will defer to your opinions & expertise, & have deleted my posts accordingly.

Come on Jack. All I said is that I don’t know as much as you nor did I want to know as much as you. I didnt say I didn’t know or care about westerns. I have a couple nice custom westerns and another 10 or so Resistols and Stetsons. I do care a bit about them, they just aren’t my only or main interest. No need to take your ball and go home. We are all big kids and we can disagree without taking things personal. I like your style and I like your contributions, but I don’t have to agree with everything you say and I get that you and others will sometimes disagree with me. It’s cool.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ok fellas...i didn’t mean to kick the bee’s nest here. Take a nap and the thread goes wild! Long as nobody looses an eye we outta all be ok lest we all look alike in our hats . Cowboy, western, city western or cross-dressin one’s like i posted. I like em all.
I got the different distinctions, just didn’t want to throw out an idiot hat.
Bowen

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Come on Jack. All I said is that I don’t know as much as you nor did I want to know as much as you. I didnt say I didn’t know or care about westerns. I have a couple nice custom westerns and another 10 or so Resistols and Stetsons. I do care a bit about them, they just aren’t my only or main interest. No need to take your ball and go home. We are all big kids and we can disagree without taking things personal. I like your style and I like your contributions, but I don’t have to agree with everything you say and I get that you and others will sometimes disagree with me. It’s cool.
You know, Brent, I doubt I could explain what I mean as well as you do even in Spanish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto