Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Yahoody

One Too Many
Same hat, and
IMG_0673_Moment(2).jpg
another day in paradise :)

Woodtroll

One Too Many
She is thinking.."I'm gonna bite him just for fun :D " I am thinking, " She is gonna bite me just for fun :confused: ". Thankfully, no humans or horses were injured during that photo shoot :rolleyes:

I have limited experience with horses, but I swear I've dealt with some of her kin, then! I've always heard there are horses with great personalities out there, but somehow I keep running into the pasture thugs of the clan. :(

Yahoody

One Too Many
We're lucky. Not a mean horse in our six. Helps to handle them all the time and start doing it a few days after birth. Makes a big difference. Lots more to it to get "good" horses. But plenty of space and feed go a long, long ways to getting there. I've been around some just down right mean horses. Mean to other horses and mean to people if they can get away with it. You see that kind horse, understand some of what made them that way... and you don't want the horse or to be around anyone that got them there.

Any of our six might bite you if you let them get as close as the picture. My fault for letting her get there. If she bit me it was because I was being stupid. Horse is just doing what a horse needs to do. A horse has pretty limited ways of "touching" the world….it's mouth, lips and chin whiskers tell them a lot. They bite each other all the time in the same herd. Seldom..as in very seldom... draw blood or even hurt each other. Horse hide is tough....us not so much :eek:. I suspect most of the time that are pretty shocked when they just want to give you a little love chew and we totally freak out from all the blood leaking out :confused:

Yahoody

One Too Many
How’s her leg doing??

Nellie is doing great, thanks for asking. (Galena in the other picture is 5) Good scar that hopefully will get smaller over time. But we were just able to stop wrapping her a couple of weeks ago. Five months of bandages, needing replaced every other day. I was beginning to wonder if she would ever heal up.

This is Nellie....she is just a little over 2.
IMG_0654_Moment(2).jpg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
She is doing great, thanks for asking. Good scar that hopefully will get smaller over time. But we were just able to stop wrapping her a couple of weeks ago. Five months of bandages, needing replaced every other day. I was being to wonder if she would ever heal up.
No wonder she photobombs and kisses you. Lucky horse to have such care!!
B

Woodtroll

One Too Many
We're lucky. Not a mean horse in our six. Helps to handle them all the time and start doing it a few days after birth. Makes a big difference. Lots more to it to get "good" horses. But plenty of space and feed go a long, long ways to getting there. I've been around some just down right mean horses. Mean to other horses and mean to people if they can get away with it. You see that kind horse, understand some of what made them that way... and you don't want the horse or to be around anyone that got them there.

Any of our six might bite you if you let them get as close as the picture. My fault for letting her get there. If she bit me it was because I was being stupid. Horse is just doing what a horse needs to do. A horse has pretty limited ways of "touching" the world….it's mouth, lips and chin whiskers tell them a lot. They bite each other all the time in the same herd. Seldom..as in very seldom... draw blood or even hurt each other. Horse hide is tough....us not so much :eek:. I suspect most of the time that are pretty shocked when they just want to give you a little love chew and we totally freak out from all the blood leaking out :confused:

I figured a horse’s disposition had a lot to do with how it was raised and kept, just like dogs, people, and lots of other critters. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, I sincerely appreciate it. With all animate things, it seems a few are just born mean and stay that way, regardless of their lineage or upbringing. Hard to say what makes those odd few predisposed to orneriness. But I’m glad to know not ALL horses are that way! ;)

Yahoody

One Too Many
I am literally amazed every day to see what little it takes to make a good horse, a good dog or a good kid for that matter. I'm pretty much convinced that what goes in is what comes out. Just no way to control much of what goes into kids these days. And if you did it would likely have just the opposite of effect that you had intended. Horses and dogs are way, way easier to give a good life.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Ego is the enemy of relations with animals (people too). There is a part of all of us that says, "when I catch that damned horse I'll teach him not to run from me!" and when the horse is finally caught you slap him or jerk on his halter or something else that some might think is a disciplinary move. To the horse (or a dog) the unfriendly behavior just told them that getting near you is not a good place to be. Teaching them to do the right thing is to make your presence a good thing for them. Horses are all about survival and you need to be that place where their security is high and survival is assured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran