Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

I'm picking this one locally tomorrow per your kind help it looks to be a post 1990 model.

You might find the exact date as it was often written on the back of the sweatband seam along with the circumference.

img_1764-jpg.91518

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Edit: Just noticed you were referring to hatbands (and not sweatbands). You could get about any hatband and they currently used a dozen or so customer hatband makers.

We should start one. @Hurricane Jack probably knows for sure.

These two are Durango era Kevin O'Farrells (1980s).

c578a861e4f90424fd71cbe549a5eb56.jpg

o_farrell_grey_04-png.127443

Not a good pic, but this is a 1991 hat made for a reseller/store.

86467ad62f91fd911989f080a373b5df.jpg

1992 (Michael R.'s).

img_1765-jpg.91516

2002 Kevin O'Farrell from Santa Fe. This was after the move to Santa Fe in 1995.

29b03e32-c03b-47e2-900d-e4fe6e3cd286-jpeg.124190

This may be after the move downtown. Not sure what year that happened. Early 2000s?
You might find the exact date as it was often written on the back of the sweatband seam along with the circumference.

img_1764-jpg.91518
Good to know, I will check that when I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks Bob. ;)

M Brown

A-List Customer
SHARP! Great looking!

Does the factory pricing apply to online orders too or just in-person? If it does apply to online, do you have a link?

I'm not sure why they aren't set up for on line sales. The store only has 4 employees, which may be one reason. The inventory is huge...I'd estimate around 5,000 hats. And the back room storage area is a gold mine of hats, bands, ribbons, liners, and such. The way the store is laid out though, there's really no area that could be utilized for prepping shipments for on line sales.

But if you ever get a chance to visit the store, should you be in the DFW area, it's worth the drive. My new BOP is one of the 'vintage reissue' series, #86 of a limited run of 100 hats...$249 from on line Stetson retailers. But at the factory store it was $65. The hard part is to not leave there with a truck full of hats!

Is there a dedicated Ofarrell forum? Trying to figure out the ages of some Durango hats. Did sweatbands change when Kevin sold the shop?
No dedicated thread. The FL was all about fedoras with the occasional early Stetson Western coming in. There was no interest in custom Western hatters.

Kevin sold out to the Glenn family in 1990 ending the Kevin O'Farrell era. The Glenn family kept the name but later changed the small block embossing on the sweat to the larger arched one.

Not a good pic, but this is a 1991 hat made for a reseller/store.
Glenn family era hat. Kevin never sold thru a retailer.

I'm picking this one locally tomorrow per your kind help it looks to be a post 1990 model.
Glenn family era hat.

Kevin started the 1st Cowboy gathering in 1989.

IMG_4524.JPG

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Thanks to advice here, I called the Stetson outlet and am looking at an Open Road 6X in Silverbelly that is discounted due to some mild discoloration around the crown. From the images I saw, it looks not too different than the regular wear I'd put on a Silverbelly when I handle incorrectly by the crown instead of the sides.

Also, the outlet will honor their 20% Labor Day discount now.

For any of you "unique" (like me) 7 3/8 heads out there, there's an interesting hat at the Stetson outlet. I asked about Sage Open Road Royal Deluxe and they have two in 7 3/8. One is a RD but has a small hole in the back right portion of the crown. It's fairly noticeable so I'm passing on it, also because it has a leather band instead of the original ribbon. That said, at $69 minus the 20%, it could be a good pickup for someone who could fix the hole.

The other is a Distressed Royal Deluxe made for the C.C Filson Company. Also, although it is called a Royal Deluxe, the brim is 3" (instead of 2 3/4). So it seems it is somewhat of a hybrid, and good deal at $129 minus the 20%. It does have a bit of chaffing underneath the front brim.

$20 shipping in a hat box from the outlet. (972) 494-0337

Images are of the hybrid.

Attachments

• media0-1.jpeg
    media0-1.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 146
  • media0-4.jpeg
    media0-4.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 149
  • media0-10.jpeg
    media0-10.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 182

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I certainly remember Stelzig's Western Wear store in Houston. A very upscale store located near the Galleria area, and very popular around rodeo time.

From the little bit of reading I did it sounds like during that timeframe of Stelzig's history they focused quite a bit on western wear. For the majority of their history (100+ years prior) they were more known for saddlery and other leather work. Here's a link with a bit of info, though I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I can contribute more.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
From the little bit of reading I did it sounds like during that timeframe of Stelzig's history they focused quite a bit on western wear. For the majority of their history (100+ years prior) they were more known for saddlery and other leather work. Here's a link with a bit of info, though I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I can contribute more.
Very nice. I was aware of the Galleria-area western wear store from sometime in the mid-'70s, but I didn't know that the Stelzig family operated a saddlery in downtown Houston for that long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana