Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Here’s one I picked up from my home land. Canadian Stetson. I thought it was a really light silver belly but it’s White!

Interesting liner and size tag. Pretty nice felt for $20.00 but I’m not sure how I feel about a white hat...

141930c87ad6a5de5acbb74b7622ec3b.jpg

View attachment 181894 View attachment 181895 View attachment 181896

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sugar white hats are beauty to beheld!
Sometimes a white hat is the only hat to wear!
B

J Williams

Practically Family
Thanks guys. No idea how old it is really but I think it’s probably 60’s if I had to take a guess. I don’t wear hats like this so I was thinking of cutting the brim down and fedoraizing it some. Definitely love the red liner.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. No idea how old it is really but I think it’s probably 60’s if I had to take a guess. I don’t wear hats like this so I was thinking of cutting the brim down and fedoraizing it some. Definitely love the red liner.

With the narrow black sweat and keyhole shaped size tag I would guess it at very late '50s - very early '60s. I've converted a lot of Westerns to fedoras. But when I come across something like you have I'm inclined to leave it Western. That's a nice Stetson you have.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Oh man!!! Be ashamed to cut that down!! Sugar white, Red liner Canadian Stetson!!
Buy a white fedora....save a cowboy!!
B

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Another look at my Beaver brand size up and rebuild. The pictures still aren't much better but one of them does show the bow work a little more clear. I was also able to reuse the original red liner too. I'm almost tempted to take this 9/16 ribbon off and replace it with a 3/8. I think this style bow would look better if it were done with a 3/8 ribbon...IMO. Still thinking about it...

Beaver-Binding-16-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-11-A.jpg

Red liners must've been pretty popular with Western hat manufactures back in the day.
Beaver-Binding-12-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-13-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-10-A.jpg

I lost some brim on this one with the size up but I was still able to trim it to an even 3 1/2 inches all around and keep it Western. I just added a new sweat, sewed on a brim binding, and put a 9/16 matching black ribbon on it.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another look at my Beaver brand size up and rebuild. The pictures still aren't much better but one of them does show the bow work a little more clear. I was also able to reuse the original red liner too. I'm almost tempted to take this 9/16 ribbon off and replace it with a 3/8. I think this style bow would look better if it were done with a 3/8 ribbon...IMO. Still thinking about it...

Beaver-Binding-16-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-11-A.jpg

Red liners must've been pretty popular with Western hat manufactures back in the day.
Beaver-Binding-12-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-13-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-10-A.jpg

I lost some brim on this one with the size up but I was still able to trim it to an even 3 1/2 inches all around and keep it Western. I just added a new sweat, sewed on a brim binding, and put a 9/16 matching black ribbon on it.
Great work! That ended up as a beautiful western. Red liner Beaver westerns rock!
6255f4f7eb00489f289ee8ba66d4227c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RossRYoung

Practically Family

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
A few months ago I picked up a Santa Fe Monte christi felt. Just dropped it off today at Nathaniels in Georgetown for a cleaning, sizing it on his conformer to my head shape, and having it steamed / re-shaped. It's not in bad shape just a bit out of whack with lumps and bumps I was not able to smooth out. Can't wait to see the results. I'm keeping the same headband though, I like it. Watching him work a hat is nothing short of amazing, he's such a perfectionist. I follow him on Facebook & Instagram and he is almost daily posting new cool looking hats he's done for clients. David at Texas Hatters is good, Nathaniels is a few notches better in quality. Of course, I cant affort Nathaniels Beaver Customs. $950 to start. Ouch! He's like the Optimo of Western Hatters.

sf2.jpg

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I've got the Stetson Open Road 6X in the cart.

I'm vacillating between the 6X and Royal Deluxe, which is ridiculous because eventually I'll have both. I love fedoras but my daily inclination leans "western." Is that the answer?

I don't baby or abuse my hats and I favor function over form. Do I just go with the stiffer 6X up front or spend the additional $20 or so (found a solid vendor) and get the Royal Deluxe?

Decision is between silverbelly 6X and sage RD- this will be a 3-season hat. I'm pursuing vintage also but that won't affect this next purchase.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

I'm vacillating between the 6X and Royal Deluxe, which is ridiculous because eventually I'll have both. I love fedoras but my daily inclination leans "western." Is that the answer?

I don't baby or abuse my hats and I favor function over form. Do I just go with the stiffer 6X up front or spend the additional $20 or so (found a solid vendor) and get the Royal Deluxe?

Decision is between silverbelly 6X and sage RD- this will be a 3-season hat. I'm pursuing vintage also but that won't affect this next purchase.
If I were choosing I would go with the Royal. I heard someone say you could drive nails with the 6X. LOL

I don’t mind firm western felt, but the 6X Open Road I had was brutally hard and unappealing. The RD is a much nicer hat for what I want. I suppose there’s a reason why someone might choose the 6X over the RD but I can’t think what it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm