Western, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kokopelli, Dec 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. J Williams

J Williams One of the Regulars

Thanks Scott, I'm really excited to see what it looks like when I get it back from him!

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  2. J Williams

J Williams One of the Regulars

Western helmet?

I have a 6X and it's pretty damn hard, has softened up some. I will always hang on to it as it was my first real foray into the hat world and has some special memories attached. My vote stays the same - RD in sage and vintage in Silverbelly.

3. Robieman

Robieman One of the Regulars

I have a premier stratoliner in the sage. Great color. Also have a royal deluxe OR in the natural color. It is softer feel than the 6x rancher I have. Just me, but for everyday wear, I’d choose the RD.

4. Fivesense

Fivesense One of the Regulars

I agree that the RD is probably the way to go. I ordered the 6X and will evaluate it as an every day wearer.

I can't quite say why I elected to go with the 6X first; I think it's because I like wearing my stiffer cowboy hats but don't always want the larger brim. My Open Road 10X is stiff (for straw anyway) and it suits me. For some reason, the stiffer felt feels more rugged, which I know is a relative perception.

If the 6X works out, great. If not, I'll order the RD. Alternatively, I may re-bash my Chatham Royal Deluxe in Caribou, putting a Cattleman's crease on it.

I'm at the point where I'm not afraid to experiment. I've got a lot of catch up to you guys and gals!

Cornshucker77 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. Fivesense

Hahaha- this is probably true. Head protection in case I fall off my "horse."

I may periodically hit it with steam to "break it in." I know I'll likely flatten out the brim a few times to achieve the profile I prefer.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  6. The weather is cooling down, seasons beginning to change & it's almost Labor Day for the fashion conscious. Time for my Ritch Rand Tom Horn affectionately known as Blackie.

First light
    IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

One of my favorite hat and band combos of yours.

How does that band tie?

I've been studying the bands of a TN woman who is a member of the Cherokee Tribe of North Alabama and she makes fitted seed bands, made to fit snugly around the crown. I'm dubious. Any experience?

8. Thanks! I had to roll out the sweat this morning because I couldn't remember what yr I bought this one...1992. So that makes my chocolate Rand which was originally a Rancher a 1988 or 1989 I think. I've worn this hat everywhere, even snowmobiling in Baniff National Park (I have some 35mm slides somewhere).

The beaded band has a short full width tie in the back. I have one hatband from the TN woman & have had no problem with the fit so far. The fit is good even along the top border.

Cornshucker77 and Desert dog like this.
  9. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Thank! What I wanted to hear.

10. No gap or pucker along the edges.

Michael R. and Bamaboots like this.
  11. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

Giving the Topeka a little head time this morning. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I gotta come up with some brim curlers...that's a nice kettle roll!

13. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

14. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 Call Me a Cab

I think the Topeka is my favorite hat of yours Ed. Looks perfect.

Michael R., Wyldkarma and Desert dog like this.
  15. Super looking hat Ed.

16. Fivesense

17. Stormy night & rainy couple of days ahead calls for a BBW...big brimmed Woomera. I know what you were thinking!

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

18. Cornshucker77 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  19. Michael R.

Michael R. Call Me a Cab

20. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Finally able to spend some time today working on this project. Definitely a work in progress but it's getting there I think. Ran out of distilled water and then the phone battery too. Here's a few shots I was able to grab as the sun was going down:
    IMG_20190830_201230590.jpg
    IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1572.JPG IMG_1574.JPG