Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Decided to get my hands dirty again and go back to work on this 'wonderful' Bailey 50X Beaver. Took awhile, and about a quart of distilled water. Put a little more draw in the front than I intended but I'm not going back at it for awhile. This was an NOS hat that came OC with a flat 4" brim from a Clovis NM shop. If this was a shape it while you wait shop, I think they waited awhile. Stiffest western I've ever owned. Even the crown is bowler like. Supposed to rain later. If it does, this ones sitting outside so it can bleed some of the dye onto the lawn instead of my hands. Still got to get rid of the bling and find a band or ribbon.
CIMG7203.JPG
CIMG7204.JPG
CIMG7205.JPG
CIMG7206.JPG
CIMG7207.JPG
CIMG7208.JPG

Looks clean, HJ. Those are great hats. Just noticed this one still has the trolley attached. Thought it was missing. Good get.
That's how I can tell them apart at a glance; the 3X has a trolley & the 5X doesn't. Plus the 3X is about 3/8" shorter at the front dip.

It cleaned up pretty good with just a steam bath & hat sponge.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks guys. It is a very nice hat & the fit is great. I'll get some detail pics soon for the appropriate thread.

I also have the 3X San Antonio that got a steam bath yesterday. It should be dry for detail pics today, & some side by sides.
Jack, you have a nice collection of Resistol OR styles! These are real jewels!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
TOF, if you should push that out to open crown I'd like to see a pic.

Sorry, HJ, but here's the best I'm going to be able to do tonight. I still have to put my boy to bed and get the weekly groceries. All I have available was a bowl, soup ladle, and some steam. I know it needs more work:
IMG_20190824_204051.jpg IMG_20190824_204743.jpg
Probably like a three legged dog...useless.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the home stretch on this 10X Quality Beaver Brand Western rebuild and size up. I finally finished sewing on the brim binding and I reshaped the brim and creased the crown. I set it aside to dry out overnight and tomorrow I'll be sewing on a matching black thin ribbon...I'll have more when it's finished
Beaver-Binding-A.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally finished the rebuild on this Beaver brand 10X Quality Western. I can't get good pictures of it yet. I have to wait for better lighting to get a better look at the bow work. I went with a 9/16 thin ribbon on this one...I was able to reuse the original red liner and the sweat band bow.

Beaver-Binding-7-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-8-A.jpg

On the head.
Beaver-Binding-6-A.jpg

Finally finished the rebuild on this Beaver brand 10X Quality Western. I can't get good pictures of it yet. I have to wait for better lighting to get a better look at the bow work. I went with a 9/16 thin ribbon on this one...I was able to reuse the original red liner and the sweat band bow.

Beaver-Binding-7-A.jpg

Beaver-Binding-8-A.jpg

On the head.
Beaver-Binding-6-A.jpg

Handsome looking hat, Terry. It looks great on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Handsome looking hat, Terry. It looks great on you.

Thank you, Brent. I'm having second thoughts on the 9/16 hat band, though. I'm seriously thinking about changing it out for a 3/8 ribbon. The 9/16 is perfect for brim binding a thin ribbon hat but I don't think it makes a good hat band for one. That's just my opinion.

Thank you, Brent. I'm having second thoughts on the 9/16 hat band, though. I'm seriously thinking about changing it out for a 3/8 ribbon. The 9/16 is perfect for brim binding a thin ribbon hat but I don't think it makes a good hat band for one. That's just my opinion.

I can’t see the bow, but from what I can see the ribbon looks very nice. I think it’s a nice width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana