Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

J Williams

Practically Family
Did some digging on the history of this Nutria Hat. To the best of my knowledge, It appears to be from the late 1920's to the late 1930's. This is based on the sweatband showing it is from the H.W. Starr Saddle Shop on 530 Broadway in Oakland, CA. Per Oaklands local museum records, The H.W. Saddle shop moved several times and was briefly located at 530 Broadway. There is a vintage photo of a man on a horse, taken in 1938, outside the shop and a movie theater showing "Out West With the Hardys" This along with the hand embroidered liner and older style Stetson logo makes this the oldest hat I own. When I got it it had a round flat crease and I just recently reshaped it to a more tradtional western hat to my liking.

View attachment 192800 View attachment 192801 View attachment 192802 View attachment 192803 View attachment 192804 View attachment 192805 View attachment 192806 View attachment 192807

Nice job on the dating. My Nutria is from ‘The Sport Shop’ in Las Vegas which has been near impossible to search for. Found a few things but nothing definitive but I’m still working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Please forgive my ignorance on hat dating. I found an online photo collection of H.W. Starr “The Saddle Shop” along with addresses and dates of the photos from the Oakland Museum. So my presumption was the hat must be from this time period. I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before. ;)

The sweatband in the hat shows the address as 530 Broadway Oakland CA. 2 photos below are from the 1930s showing “The Saddle Shop” at this location, same as the sweatband in the hat. My original assumption was the hat was from that time period but actually the shop could have been in that location up until it moved in 1951, I have no idea when they actually moved from 530 Broadway to the shop at 716 Broadway. The oldest photo of the Saddle Shop appears to be from 1906 when it was called the Starr Harness Shop. . The shop ultimately closed sometime in the late 1960’s.

download (1).png
download (6).png
download (5).png
download (3).png

Please forgive my ignorance on hat dating. I found an online photo collection of H.W. Starr “The Saddle Shop” along with addresses and dates of the photos from the Oakland Museum. So my presumption was the hat must be from this time period. I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before. ;)

The sweatband in the hat shows the address as 530 Broadway Oakland CA. 2 photos below are from the 1930s showing “The Saddle Shop” at this location, same as the sweatband in the hat. My original assumption was the hat was from that time period but actually the shop could have been in that location up until it moved in 1951, I have no idea when they actually moved from 530 Broadway to the shop at 716 Broadway. The oldest photo of the Saddle Shop appears to be from 1906 when it was called the Starr Harness Shop. . The shop ultimately closed sometime in the late 1960’s.

View attachment 192873 View attachment 192874 View attachment 192875 View attachment 192876
Great information!!! Lots of fun.

Again, look the hat over carefully, It is NOT from the 20's-30's.....Go with the "they did not move until 1951" date.

Now that said, you have an AWESOME hat there!!!!!!!!!! regardless of date!!!!;)

PS Check out THESE threads!!!! : https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-liner-a-field-guide.32679/

AND: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-size-tag.46483/

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Great information!!! Lots of fun.

Again, look the hat over carefully, It is NOT from the 20's-30's.....Go with the "they did not move until 1951" date.

Now that said, you have an AWESOME hat there!!!!!!!!!! regardless of date!!!!;)

PS Check out THESE threads!!!! : https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-liner-a-field-guide.32679/

AND: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-size-tag.46483/
Always learning :) even at 66 yrs old. Thanks for helping me date this thing properly, and bursting my bubble. lol.

Always learning :) even at 66 yrs old. Thanks for helping me date this thing properly, and bursting my bubble. lol.
We are ALL of us learning!!!! At least we should be. There should be no burst bubble. You have a WONDERFUL hat I would love to find!!!!! And in great shape......In my size, they are unicorns that command more than I can give.......:(
A Stetson Nutria is a nice thing to own and enjoy!!!!!:)
Enjoy it for what it is!!!;)

PS: I just have to say the saddle stamp on your sweat has to be one of the absolute coolest store stamps EVER!!!!!!!

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey Ken:
I’ve found on the lounge if you want the right answer, or quick answer....take a stab at it...you’ll quickly find out if you stabbed well. Lol
Great research on the store. Always a plus for a special hat and that IS a special hat.
Dating hats??
Was vs is.
A hat was.....made whenever??
A hat is....in my hand!!!
I’ll take IS every time.
B

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Hey Ken:
I’ve found on the lounge if you want the right answer, or quick answer....take a stab at it...you’ll quickly find out if you stabbed well. Lol
Great research on the store. Always a plus for a special hat and that IS a special hat.
Dating hats??
Was vs is.
A hat was.....made whenever??
A hat is....in my hand!!!
I’ll take IS every time.
B
It's such a great help having all these super knowledgable folks just a knifes throw away. ;) I love going through the old archives and looking for hat info. But wow, such a time suck. lol.

I don't usually go much for the black hats, on my head anyway, but that's a mighty fine one, Cuz. Black boots, on the other hand, are a completely different story. Especially when they're shined up right. Be safe out there tonight in 'em.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cuz. I find I can't wait for cooler weather to break out the black hats. Most folks are one side of the fence or the other on black hats. A few talk of wearing them for formal occasions only. If I didn't like a black hat, I wouldn't wear one then either. Black boots are a favorite. These are smooth ostrich that will shine up like patent leather if you need it. Just noticing how wrinkled these old boys are becoming. Shoulda wiped the toes off before I took the pic. Home before dark. Enjoy yourself with the kids if that's on the agenda.

I always like seeing that Stetson! Perfect boots also!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you, Dd. Always appreciate your comments on this hat. Really enjoying seeing your posts. You've got me on a hunt for a Pendleton jacket because of that great one you've posted.

Beauty! I’m seeing some perfect black hats in the lounge these days. Is that a No 1? Let me know if you find another just like it my size

J, it's one of those unmarked Stetson's that came with a Fray sweat and not marked as a model anywhere. I would put it in the BRE category. If I find another in "our" size, I'll be sure to let you know in the PNHH thread.

J Williams

Practically Family
J, it's one of those unmarked Stetson's that came with a Fray sweat and not marked as a model anywhere. I would put it in the BRE category. If I find another in "our" size, I'll be sure to let you know in the PNHH thread.

Oh I knew a quip was headed back my way. Took me a second to figure out the thread. I will be glad to see it nonetheless but do vow to have one on my head one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko