Western, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kokopelli, Dec 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. J Williams

J Williams A-List Customer

Nice job on the dating. My Nutria is from ‘The Sport Shop’ in Las Vegas which has been near impossible to search for. Found a few things but nothing definitive but I’m still working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77 and Wyldkarma like this.
  2. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

put me down as a non-believer on any date from the 20's or 30's

3. YOU are right, That hat is definitively from the 40's through the 50's.....a little research right HERE on the Lounge under size tags and liners will reveal this fact.....

AbbaDatDeHat, jlee562 and Wyldkarma like this.
  4. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Please forgive my ignorance on hat dating. I found an online photo collection of H.W. Starr “The Saddle Shop” along with addresses and dates of the photos from the Oakland Museum. So my presumption was the hat must be from this time period. I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before. ;)

The sweatband in the hat shows the address as 530 Broadway Oakland CA. 2 photos below are from the 1930s showing “The Saddle Shop” at this location, same as the sweatband in the hat. My original assumption was the hat was from that time period but actually the shop could have been in that location up until it moved in 1951, I have no idea when they actually moved from 530 Broadway to the shop at 716 Broadway. The oldest photo of the Saddle Shop appears to be from 1906 when it was called the Starr Harness Shop. . The shop ultimately closed sometime in the late 1960’s.

download (1).png download (6).png download (5).png download (3).png

5. Great information!!! Lots of fun.

Again, look the hat over carefully, It is NOT from the 20's-30's.....Go with the "they did not move until 1951" date.

Now that said, you have an AWESOME hat there!!!!!!!!!! regardless of date!!!!;)

PS Check out THESE threads!!!! : https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-liner-a-field-guide.32679/

AND: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dating-vintage-stetsons-by-size-tag.46483/

bowlerman and Wyldkarma like this.
  6. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Always learning :) even at 66 yrs old. Thanks for helping me date this thing properly, and bursting my bubble. lol.

7. We are ALL of us learning!!!! At least we should be. There should be no burst bubble. You have a WONDERFUL hat I would love to find!!!!! And in great shape......In my size, they are unicorns that command more than I can give.......:(
    A Stetson Nutria is a nice thing to own and enjoy!!!!!:)
    Enjoy it for what it is!!!;)

PS: I just have to say the saddle stamp on your sweat has to be one of the absolute coolest store stamps EVER!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. Ross Young

Ross Young One of the Regulars

All Hallows’ Eve or any given Thursday? Have a safe one everybody, happy Halloween!
    Polariod’s of a 7x CB ‘cowboy’ and Brothel Girl.
    B4622B09-1CF7-4A7C-876D-B87D6B326866.jpeg 284AEB0B-5770-4837-948A-B0D22977C25A.jpeg

9. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Etchison:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey Ken:
    I’ve found on the lounge if you want the right answer, or quick answer....take a stab at it...you’ll quickly find out if you stabbed well. Lol
    Great research on the store. Always a plus for a special hat and that IS a special hat.
    Dating hats??
    Was vs is.
    A hat was.....made whenever??
    A hat is....in my hand!!!
    I’ll take IS every time.
    B

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Stetson and Jesse the bootmaker.
    52584E8F-F3D5-45CA-A1E9-2AC987BF08D4.jpeg

12. dh66

dh66

Nice one! I like the short brim on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

13. dh66

dh66

I don't usually go much for the black hats, on my head anyway, but that's a mighty fine one, Cuz. Black boots, on the other hand, are a completely different story. Especially when they're shined up right. Be safe out there tonight in 'em.

Bamaboots likes this.
  14. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

It's such a great help having all these super knowledgable folks just a knifes throw away. ;) I love going through the old archives and looking for hat info. But wow, such a time suck. lol.

Cornshucker77 and Desert dog like this.
  15. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

I always like seeing that Stetson! Perfect boots also!

16. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Cuz. I find I can't wait for cooler weather to break out the black hats. Most folks are one side of the fence or the other on black hats. A few talk of wearing them for formal occasions only. If I didn't like a black hat, I wouldn't wear one then either. Black boots are a favorite. These are smooth ostrich that will shine up like patent leather if you need it. Just noticing how wrinkled these old boys are becoming. Shoulda wiped the toes off before I took the pic. Home before dark. Enjoy yourself with the kids if that's on the agenda.

Thank you, Dd. Always appreciate your comments on this hat. Really enjoying seeing your posts. You've got me on a hunt for a Pendleton jacket because of that great one you've posted.

17. ^^^What he said, BB!

18. J Williams

Beauty! I’m seeing some perfect black hats in the lounge these days. Is that a No 1? Let me know if you find another just like it my size

Wyldkarma likes this.
  19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

J, it's one of those unmarked Stetson's that came with a Fray sweat and not marked as a model anywhere. I would put it in the BRE category. If I find another in "our" size, I'll be sure to let you know in the PNHH thread.

20. J Williams

Oh I knew a quip was headed back my way. Took me a second to figure out the thread. I will be glad to see it nonetheless but do vow to have one on my head one day.

Desert dog and Bamaboots like this.