Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Even though it gets underexposed somewhat when photographing it is a bit lighter shade. So it very well could be Sand. When I enlarge those ads for easier reading they go blurry. Which one lists Sand?

The ads from '35 and '38 list a color variant for Light Sand. The product number was 6289. I think in one of your older posts someone else asked you about any tags behind the sweat and you said you didn't find anything else. Otherwise I would say to check behind the sweat seam, like on O'Farrell hats, which is where I found a tag with the product number.

557CE833-185C-4F2F-A4F3-6D1FEAA6F9DA.jpeg
9D15EFB8-D479-440A-B1E7-BFF0DAC21662.jpeg
70F68B8C-8FDC-4750-A5A4-8971194F2369.jpeg

Another Sears Carlsbad in nutria tan has surfaced:
View attachment 193158 View attachment 193159 View attachment 193160
Specs:
4" Brim (w/ curl)
6-3/4" Crown (open)
1-1/8" Ribbon
5.9oz Weight​

Dinerman was the first to post one of these many years ago, though his was a different variant. More recently, @Hurricane Jack has posted one as well and this one appears to be the same as his.

After doing some digging I was able to find some older Sears catalog references that may place this hat from the 30s rather than the early 40s:
View attachment 193165
View attachment 193162 View attachment 193163

I even found one reference from a 1922 catalog, however, note that the product number is different on this earlier model:
View attachment 193164
Interesting that the description says this older hat was made of fur felt, so some time over the next decade the content changed from fur to wool. Also note the price variance, possibly due to pre vs. post Great Depression?

Definitely not the nicest hat in terms overall body and construction, but nevertheless one of the most interesting hats in my humble collection. A nice piece of everyday American history.

This all is GREAT research....None better than having the catalog number in the hat itself!!!:eek: Too cool!!!!;);););)
On the price reduction in the 30's...while everyone (including Stetson) WERE lowering prices as I am sure, results of the depression as you note. In THIS particular case a greater influence in price would be switching from fur felt to the less expensive wool felt.....AND could be very well why they switched to wool felt....to be able to offer a MUCH cheaper price point.
Great research!!! Nice having this information for when I find my Sears Carlsbad (someday I hope!!!).;);););)

The ads from '35 and '38 list a color variant for Light Sand. The product number was 6289. I think in one of your older posts someone else asked you about any tags behind the sweat and you said you didn't find anything else. Otherwise I would say to check behind the sweat seam, like on O'Farrell hats, which is where I found a tag with the product number.
Thanks for the info. I'll take another look. My sweat is stiff enough that I didn't try to manipulate it too much.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This all is GREAT research....None better than having the catalog number in the hat itself!!!:eek: Too cool!!!!;);););)
On the price reduction in the 30's...while everyone (including Stetson) WERE lowering prices as I am sure, results of the depression as you note. In THIS particular case a greater influence in price would be switching from fur felt to the less expensive wool felt.....AND could be very well why they switched to wool felt....to be able to offer a MUCH cheaper price point.
Great research!!! Nice having this information for when I find my Sears Carlsbad (someday I hope!!!).;);););)

I figured the price variance was due to the changing from felt to wool, but as you pointed out that may have been a consequence of the Depression. The hat body itself is actually in quite good shape with minimal (moth) damage. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived because the seller's pictures weren't the greatest.

The 1922 catalog also offered a higher tier version, Bond Street DeLuxe, for $6.95:
IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1909.jpg

Heading to the dog park...
Ken, just an FYI & I know you have a small dog. A lot of dogs end up getting their lower jaw broken at dog parks, when they play rough with other dogs & get their jaw caught under the other dogs collar. Then they usually have to be put down. Around here most owners at the park will voluntarily remove their dog's collar once they learn of the potential.

Always keep a sharp sheath knife on your belt capable of cutting thru a dogs collar.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Ken, just an FYI & I know you have a small dog. A lot of dogs end up getting their lower jaw broken at dog parks, when they play rough with other dogs & get their jaw caught under the other dogs collar. Then they usually have to be put down. Around here most owners at the park will voluntarily remove their dog's collar once they learn of the potential.

Always keep a sharp sheath knife on your belt capable of cutting thru a dogs collar.
Excellent advice, we only do the park once a month or so and the ours has 3 sections, 1 for large, medium, and small dogs. She only goes into the small dog park. That's certainly a scary scenario though .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB