Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
As you know the block determines what the hat can be. Any Engineer, Draftsman or Structural Detailer knows that if the angle is <90 degrees at the breakline then it will be off by several degrees of taper at the 6" crown height. If the angle is >90 degrees at the breakline it will be over by several degrees at crown height creating reverse taper. One shouldn't need a block number to determine if the crown will be straight or not.
As you know the block determines what the hat can be. Any Engineer, Draftsman or Structural Detailer knows that if the angle is <90 degrees at the breakline then it will be off by several degrees of taper at the 6" crown height. If the angle is >90 degrees at the breakline it will be over by several degrees at crown height creating reverse taper. One shouldn't need a block number to determine if the crown will be straight or not.
Which is why I leave it to the Engineers, the Draftsmen, and Structural Detailers to figure out the math and science behind creating the blocks, and my job is figuring out which of those blocks works best for what I want to accomplish. For me, I've had good luck with the straight sided dome for the majority of my projects.

I am truly sorry that my post and question has caused such an issue. I will refrain from posting on this forum going forward.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about; you spurred something good discussion but you didn’t cause “an issue.” It was a good question.

I like the hat too. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up...I too prefer minimal taper, but I also enjoy diversity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. 1 Quality

IMG_1334[1].JPG

IMG_E1336[1].JPG

Nice one, Cuz. A classic shape. That brim curl is subtle and sublime. Nice kicks, too. Not sure I recall the 2 piece construction. Details? I'm digging the narrow square toe on 'em.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Which is why I leave it to the Engineers, the Draftsmen, and Structural Detailers to figure out the math and science behind creating the blocks, and my job is figuring out which of those blocks works best for what I want to accomplish. For me, I've had good luck with the straight sided dome for the majority of my projects.
We don't need to all produce the same hat.
This place would be boring if everyone did.

Right on, Greg!

Thanks, Perry.

Nice one, Cuz. A classic shape. That brim curl is subtle and sublime. Nice kicks, too. Not sure I recall the 2 piece construction. Details? I'm digging the narrow square toe on 'em.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cuz. I don't break these boots out very often. Picked them up a couple of years ago. D. W. Frommer out of Redmond Oregon made them. French calf. Pics and details are in the CBB thread somewhere.

Looks great BB! Especially in black.
This is what I have in mind for my latest No.1Q & the block is perfect for it. My only concern is with me doing the pencil roll

Thanks, HJ. I think your N0. 1 is a perfect candidate for that. I've put a pencil roll on about five different hats now so I know you can do it. When you get ready to do it, let me know and I'll walk you through the steps of how I did mine.

dkstott

Practically Family
At the risk of stirring up more controversy. I have this Oak colored Stetson Roadster that I'm not sure if I like the leather hatband.

I'm considering removing it and installing a 1 inch wide fabric hatband in a dark brown, maroon or maybe a color that matches the ribbon binding on the brim.

I tend to wear it fedora style with the back brim up and the front brim down.

Am I crazy for considering this??
93b02bb2b0f1ed03bf96f1be4c734093.jpg
00b9e6c54459c6ea381b7f07d89876e8.jpg
f1743d1b9961d448da2ea31374d0a9c9.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

J Williams

Practically Family
Thanks, Perry.

Thanks, Cuz. I don't break these boots out very often. Picked them up a couple of years ago. D. W. Frommer out of Redmond Oregon made them. French calf. Pics and details are in the CBB thread somewhere.

Thanks, HJ. I think your N0. 1 is a perfect candidate for that. I've put a pencil roll on about five different hats now so I know you can do it. When you get ready to do it, let me know and I'll walk you through the steps of how I did mine.

I wouldn’t mind hearing your method as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB