Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good looking.
I can't say for sure but I believe its mid seventies. I worked in a western store in the 70s, that sold Bailey. I once creased some of the Bailey 100s that were purchased by some sheriff's posse members. At that time a normal Bailey fur felt cost $30 -$35. This hat costed $100.00. They were beautiful felt and I wore white cotton gloves to crease them as they arrived open crowns. They were some of the best hats I ever worked with. A great score to find one of these!

Latigo

Familiar Face
I can't say for sure but I believe its mid seventies. I worked in a western store in the 70s, that sold Bailey. I once creased some of the Bailey 100s that were purchased by some sheriff's posse members. At that time a normal Bailey fur felt cost $30 -$35. This hat costed $100.00. They were beautiful felt and I wore white cotton gloves to crease them as they arrived open crowns. They were some of the best hats I ever worked with. A great score to find one of these!

Thanks Desert Dog! Good to know...This had to be someone's special occasion hat, it's so clean and well kept. Do you happen to recall if the inside of the hats you worked on looked like this one? The newer Bailey 100x have that stamping of "100" done up with a bunch of X's surrounding it.

latigo

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Desert Dog! Good to know...This had to be someone's special occasion hat, it's so clean and well kept. Do you happen to recall if the inside of the hats you worked on looked like this one? The newer Bailey 100x have that stamping of "100" done up with a bunch of X's surrounding it.

latigo
They were just like yours. No x markings.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
DocCasualty,

I'm recalling that you ordered a hat from Grizz or someone with a Montana crease in it but I don't recall the leadtime. Did you ever get it?

I'm also remembering discussion about hats that might take a Montana crease, & maybe the Campdraft came up. I found this pic posted by Carter of his CD in a 2009 thread. I'm going to reactivate the thread with my modified CD when it arrives later today.

3348137562_e9c9dc8f87.jpg
Yeah, I ordered it from Grizz and received it two weeks ago, much sooner than expected. I haven't gotten around to taking pics. When I do I'll post them.

I've tried every crease I can think of dry in this Resistol Stagecoach but always come back to liking a Tom Horn best. It won't hold the dents without steam so in the next day or so I'll fire up the steamer for the dents & smooth out the center crease a bit. The brim is close to what I want; just needs some straightening up & a bit of an edge curl. The color is called Tanbark & I'm going to use this beaded hatband. The pattern is called snake.

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

Before:
IMG_1843.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice beaded band also, looks like it was made for the hat.

...what a good difference.

Love the hat band.
Thanks guys. I did have the hatband beaded for this hat. I could have gone with some lighter brown & beige colors but decided I wanted a little contrast against the Tanbark colored felt. The hatband is 1-1/8" wide, a little wider than what I normally like but there was a small amount of damage to the felt where Resistol had stitched thru the knot of that awful crocheted hatband. I think the 1-1/8" worked out okay.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Call me nuts but I think the 2 that looked best in you was the first one (the big one) and that brown, leather topper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick to the bowlers. That second one looks too Jiminy Cricket for me.

images

Some nice hatbands though. I like the turquoise colors.

I also forgot about Jiminy! ha! I have to admit, I think I liked that big Montana crease hat the best as well! It was a 10X John Wayne Series hat-- I think Resistol-- really nice quality actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails