Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Westerns for people who don't like Westerns

Hondo

One Too Many
I was amazed at the authentic settings of that one; Quigly Down Under, you can’t go wrong there if you’re not a western movie fan,
I must have misread this topic;
I would also include “The Man who shot Liberty Valance” I never get tired of either one, lots of great quotes.

Lady Day said:
Quigly Down Under is awesome AND set in Australia! How can you go wrong!

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My least favorite genre would have to be "Important Message Films." I really can't stand movies that take themselves so seriously that they can't be enjoyed as simple entertainment. As Sam Goldwyn once said, "If you want a message, use Western Union."

A.R. McVintage

Deadwood is just a great series, and one that'd be good for people who don't care much for westerns. The fact that it's the 1870s and people carry six-guns is all just the trappings of the period, but the show really has much more in common with The Sopranos than John Wayne.

Another HBO western, And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself, is another good western for people who don't like westerns.

As are the films of Sam Peckinpah (Ride the High Country, The Wild Bunch, The Ballad of Cable Hogue) as these are all about the death of the west in general as it stood in the face of burgeoning civilization.

A.R. McVintage said:
Deadwood is just a great series, and one that'd be good for people who don't care much for westerns. The fact that it's the 1870s and people carry six-guns is all just the trappings of the period, but the show really has much more in common with The Sopranos than John Wayne.

If you can get past the expletive deleted language then it might be something for you. I think the Sopranos had less foul language---and that is saying something. :p ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
There are some great, unusual, pretty good, and occasionally humorous westerns that have gone unmentioned. Here are ten in no particular order.

High Noon (1952) directed by Fred Zinneman with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. Gary Cooper won the Oscar for Best Actor.

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Directed by Sergio Leone with Henry Fonda in his absolutely meanest role. Also Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale, Keenan Wynn, Jason Robards, Woody Strode, and Jack Elam.

White Buffalo (1977) Directed by J. Lee Thompson with Charles Bronson, Jack Warden, Will Sampson, John Carradine, Kim Novak, Clint Walker, Slim Pickens, and Stuart Whitman.

Heaven's Gate(1980) Directed by Michael Cimino with Kris Kristofferson, Christopher Walken, and John Hurt.

Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957) Directed by John Sturges with Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster.

Cat Ballou (1965) Directed by Elliot Silverstein, with Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin, Michael Callan, Dwayne Hickman, and great musical interludes by Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye. Lee Marvin won the Oscar for Best Actor In a Leading Role and dedicated 1/2 of it to his horse.

Silverado (1985) Directed by Lawrence Kasdan with Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Brian Dennehy, Kevin Costner, Rosanna Arquette, Danny Glover, John Cleese, Linda Hunt, Lyn Whitfield and Jeff Goldblum. Great cast in a pretty good film.

Jeremiah Johnson (1972) Directed by Sydney Pollack, with Robert Redford, Will Geer, and Delle Bolton. This may be my all-time favorite western.

Little Big Man (1970) Directed by Arthur Penn with Dustin Hoffman, Chief Dan George, Faye Dunaway, Martin Balsam, Jeff Corey and Richard Mulligan. "It is considered a Revisionist Western, with Native Americans receiving a sympathetic treatment uncommon for Western films in previous decades. Many of the United States Cavalry soldiers are depicted as villains."

Dances With Wolves (1990) Directed by Kevin Costner, with Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, and Graham Greene. Much of the dialogue in this revisionist western is in the language of the Lakota Sioux. This flm won Academy Awards for Best Picture, Directing (Costner), Writing Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound, and Original Music Score as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Drama.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
My least favorite genre would have to be "Important Message Films." I really can't stand movies that take themselves so seriously that they can't be enjoyed as simple entertainment. As Sam Goldwyn once said, "If you want a message, use Western Union."

Or as Orson Scott Card says, "Fiction is not an essay in disguise."

I completely agree with you.

Hondo

One Too Many
Have tohand it to you, Lee Van Cleef was always cool, smoking that pipe!
but...Eli Wallach (not even mexican) was awesome! Tuco crazy, comic bandit.
"I take care of you" LOL!!!! lol
This was my first Sergio Leone film, the man with no name, but the others don't just don't compare.

jamespowers said:
Uh, the Good the Bad and the Ugly was one of Sergio Leone's Man With No Name series. :D
Let me add Sabata or just about any Lee Van Klef movie with him smoking a pipe. ;) :cool2:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think I'll give The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance a shot and a few others mentioned here. For some reason I can not bring myself to watch The Searchers.

I have one on my netflix list called The Deadly Companions. I liked the premise and I like Maureen O'Hara so hopefully I'll like the movie.

Hondo

One Too Many
If you get a chance check out IMDB for more info, what I find interesting and funny are the sadistic killers, 3 clowns really, Lee Marvin (at his best as Valance) Strother Martin (remember him in Cool Hand Luke? "What we have here is a failure to communicate" ) best slime ball crook and an early Lee Van Cleef. I like Lee Marvin, cold killer but scared of the Duke :eusa_clap

deadpandiva said:
I think I'll give The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance a shot and a few others mentioned here. For some reason I can not bring myself to watch The Searchers.

I have one on my netflix list called The Deadly Companions. I liked the premise and I like Maureen O'Hara so hopefully I'll like the movie.

Hondo said:
Have tohand it to you, Lee Van Cleef was always cool, smoking that pipe!
but...Eli Wallach (not even mexican) was awesome! Tuco crazy, comic bandit.
"I take care of you" LOL!!!! lol
This was my first Sergio Leone film, the man with no name, but the others don't just don't compare.

Eli Wallach. That is a good one. He is 92 and still kicking. He has a small part in the soon to be released Mama's Boy.
No actor out there has yet to fill the shoes of Lee Van Cleef in westerns. Just a look from him conveyed plenty. He didn't have to go all "Woody Allen" on the audience. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy