Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What’s your favorite decade for hats, and why?

What is the best decade for hats?

• Before the 1920s.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1920s

• 1930s

• 1940s

• 1950s

• 1960s

• After the 1960s

• Present Day

• Total voters

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Each decade has something to like, certainly, except for the dark ages from the late 1960s to the dawn of the Internet era. Now, however, the world wide web allows us access to talented hatters worldwide who can craft us a reproduction of a hat from any era, so this may be the new golden age of hats.

I’m going to say I like the 1940s, personally, with an emphasis on the second half of that decade. Crowns were still tall, with wide hat bands to match, and the bound edge seems to have been in its heyday.

-Dave

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
30's

Untapered high crowns with nice wide bows and raw edge brims - Mercury still used in the process too :D

Lokar

A-List Customer
The Twenties. Soft felt hats had truly entered the mainstream, but toppers and bowlers were still regularly worn, not just for the most formal events. Such a wide range to choose from!

Jauntyone

Practically Family
19th century: there is nothing cooler than a top hat!
1930s: soft hats (fedoras) were made with perfect proportions.
1960s: there is just something about stingy-brims that I like, even if I can't quite put my finger on it!
2000s: Art Fawcett!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Mid-'20s to early-'30s. Gotta love the uber tall crowns, narrower brims and wonderful felt. They had attitude.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
For me, I'd say the 30's and 40's. I love both the high untapered crowns with smaller brims as well as large bound brim types of the 40's going into the 50's a bit.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I vote for TODAY. The possibilities are immediate and exciting. Not a single hat I wear on a daily basis is over three years old (as of right now).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I voted for the 40's, although there are features of hats I like from all the decades listed. I love the high crowns of the 30's just as much as I like some 60's style stingies from time to time.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Classic 1940s . . .

I’m giving my vote to the 1940s . . . High quality felt, crowns were still tall, wide brims, bound edges, and three of the greatest hats of all time were born . . . The Stratoliner, the Open Road, and the Allesandria.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran