Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What 1940s/50s Hat Would Not look To Out Of Place Today?

melanie

One of the Regulars
With me been new to dressing vintage, I do not want a hat that is too.....wow, if you know what I mean, I would like a hat that is from these eras, but what would not look too out of place these days, any suggestions?

Almost any "proper" hat will be, um, distinctive these days. Fedoras and the like aren't as uncommon as they were a few years back, but they are still unusual enough that if you wear one frequently you'll be regarded by many as "the gal (or guy, as the case may be) in the hat."

So, I say wear whatever style you think looks best on you. For many of us here, that's something akin to what was popular prior to the late 1950s, when those lower, more tapered crowns and narrower brims came into fashion.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
melanie said:
With me been new to dressing vintage, I do not want a hat that is too.....wow, if you know what I mean, I would like a hat that is from these eras, but what would not look too out of place these days, any suggestions?
Trial and error! There are lots of styles, and only putting on a hat will let you know whether it works on you. When you've tried on a certain number you'll become good at guessing. Women's hats get much more extravagant than men's hats, and so women have more territory to cover. You'll just have to take a chance and buy some, unless you can try them on first. And if you get really nervous you could always buy a modern hat to go with vintage clothes--Village Hat Shop should have a good selection.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
This has been a popular topic that has been discussed since this sites birth.

The problem is that today, women (and men) for the most part do not wear hats… and this does depend on one’s geographic location of course… but, in general, here in CA anyone wearing a hat other than a modern Trilby (Modern take on the Fedora) is looked at being old fashioned or “vintage”. Even the Trilby people associate with the golden age.

For me, I have accepted the fact that what I do is just different than what the rest of the world cares to do or know about and I’m ok with comments (most positive) and people looking at me or us as a group as different.

When looking to dress in a period style that one embraces, may as well go whole hog because, no matter what you do to try and “blend it in” or make it not as noticeable, you’ll still get noticed because it is different. May as well go for the full deal and embrace what you feel is your style and emulate it to the best you can or choose to and toss strangers opinions and thoughts to the wind.

My lady dresses in period 30s or 40s most everyday… hair styles, makeup and dresses and hats… when she’s in full period, she gets nothing but positive comments and people really are amazed to see someone put together so well today.

So, watch some movies and pick your style and chase it till you catch it and own it. Have fun and remember to never worry about others thoughts because when it comes down to it, do what you enjoy and hang the opinions of strangers… because they’re mostly jealous that you’re getting noticed and attention and they’re not!:D

PS: In England there is a rather healthy little vintage community and they are pretty dedicated to the craft and the lifestyle... they also attend all sorts of dances and social gatherings I'm sure you can find... some of them are members here! It really helps to associate with like minded people and be part of a group... it makes it a lot more fun and not as awkward for a beginner.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
tonyb said:
Almost any "proper" hat will be, um, distinctive these days. Fedoras and the like aren't as uncommon as they were a few years back, but they are still unusual enough that if you wear one frequently you'll be regarded by many as "the gal (or guy, as the case may be) in the hat."

So, I say wear whatever style you think looks best on you. For many of us here, that's something akin to what was popular prior to the late 1950s, when those lower, more tapered crowns and narrower brims came into fashion.

As has happened to me... One instance today where an acquaintance of mine actually didn't recognize me in the same room because I didn't have a hat on. :eek: :p

melanie

One of the Regulars
Thank you for all the advice and encouragement, I may as awell just dive in at the deep end, and be completely vintage, as I know it will make me happy, and I will try my best not to worry about what other people think. :)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The easiest way for a gal to fit into modern times is with a beret. Works well with a dress or more masculine styles.

It all really depends on your outfit for the day. Since it's been a long time since women have worn hats regularly, unless you are wearing a suit and going a little retro... hmmm.

Another way to set yourself in the modern day yet still wearing a hat is to wear a traditionally men's hat in a feminine way.

melanie

One of the Regulars
I'm in the process of crocheting myself a nice red beret, following a pattern from 1936.
I have worn berets before, beanies and trilbys, but the types of hats that I was wondering about were those tiny little ones from the 40s with the net on ect....

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
melanie said:
... but the types of hats that I was wondering about were those tiny little ones from the 40s with the net on ect....

I suspected that was where you were going with this thread. Here stateside in Ohio I only see one woman wearing that sort of hat, or more generally, women-specific hats at my son's church. When I was stationed in England I rarely saw a woman in a hat, and never in a hat such as you describe.

For something that won't look too out of place, Matt's suggestion of a beret is a very good one; another is to go with a fedora of some type.

As you say, you might as well dive in as you will stand out. Of course, so does anyone in a hat these days or even anyone who dresses well, it seems. You may as well enjoy it!

Cheers,
Tom

BanjoStrings

New in Town
melanie said:
Thank you for all the advice and encouragement, I may as awell just dive in at the deep end, and be completely vintage, as I know it will make me happy, and I will try my best not to worry about what other people think. :)

That a girl! Do whats important to you

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
melanie said:
... the types of hats that I was wondering about were those tiny little ones from the 40s with the net on ect....

I think that type hat is such a nice look on a lady. If you are new to wearing hats (whatever the style), then it will take a while to "own" the look. But, once you are past that initial stage I will bet you get nothing but good complements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters