Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about that frizz?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Hi all! I'm brand new to the site, and I'm finding all these posts intriguing and fun to try, but it seems that most of you have straighter hair than I do! My hair has a natural curl (that I love, don't misinterpret that!), but I have a lot of trouble doing many of the hairstyles mentioned without a lot of frizz. When I sleep in sets, the curls turn out so tight I can barely pull them through, and even then, they don't sit sleek and pretty. I own a straightener, but I'm not sure that's the best solution as the smallest drop of moisture sets it off, and I'm afraid of damaging it with relaxing creams.

So, to get to a point, does anyone have any suggestions for hairstyles that work with hair that isn't straight?

Thank you!

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I have pretty much the same kind of hair. Definitely try the bigger rollers, I think mine are a little over 1inch diameter. Also after I wash my hair I apply a leave in conditioner and then blow dry until just damp, then I use a smoothing serum, (try nexxus smoothing cream) and put up in rollers. I do semi large sections too, I probably only have 16 rollers in if that.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Use bigger rollers. Also, try using a pomade like Royal Crown or VO5 Sheer Hairdressing (or any other of the many on the market) when rolling your hair. Brush our your curls gently, keeping in mind that it may take a lot of brushing to get the waves you want. Try using an anti-humidity hairspray on your finished style.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Madalene Laurae said:
Great tips, I will have to make a trip to the beauty store. My hair is bi-polar, the top is stick straight and the underneath is super wavy.

My hair used to be like that until I read the book Curly Girl, which teaches you how to treat and style it better. Of course, it doesn't lend tips for vintage styling, but it has good instructions on how to wash, cut, and dry your hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran