Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
51yleSsxALL._SS500_.jpg

Absolutely killer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The voices in your dog's head?
out...play...whazzat foody smell...c'mon i smell FOOOD...FOOD! FOOD!...whereza food?...guess no food...OUT! PLAY! OUT! OUT!

I'm listening to the Alec Wilder Octet. Anybody know 'em?
wilder-a.jpg

Warning! Link goes to "musician's music" - too highbrow for middlebrows, too middlebrow for highbrows.

I was listening to the Boop Boop A Doop CD that Dean Mora and his band worked on about 10 years ago. It showcases the music of one of the guys that did a lot of the music for the Max Fleischer cartoons such as Betty Boop, Popeye, the Guliver's Travels on and Superman cartoons. It's good stuff to me because as a kid I watched pretty much all of these that they showed on TV back in NY. I recall the B&W Betty and Popeye cartoons fairly well.

just_me

Practically Family
Phoebe Snow. I love her voice. She pretty much stopped touring over 30 years ago to take care of her daughter. She started touring again after her daughter died and has a new live album out.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Bought Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's Live album from a few years ago. Not sure how I feel about it. I definitely think they have a better studio sound than live. My favorites are on there though: Go Daddy-O!, Big Time Operator, I Wanna Be Like You, and Mr. Pinstripe Suit... Which sound almost exactly the same. I'm starting to realize they may not be as good of a band as I used to think they were.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Was just up in St Paul, MN, and picked up a group of about 200 select records that I have been playing incessantly.

The group includes the Whiteman waxings of "Washbaord Blues", "Sweet Sue, Just You", "China Boy",

Ben Pollack's recordings of "She's One Sweet Show Girl", "Singapore Sorrows", and "He's The Last Word".

King Oliver's "Call of the Freaks", "Wa Wa Wa" and "Aunt Hagar's Blues", The

Charlston Chaser's recordings of "Delirium", "My Meloncholy Baby", "Red Hair and Freckles", and "Davenport Blues",

Fletcher Henderson's Vocalion recording of "Shanghai Shuffle", "Queer notions" on Canadian Decca, and his Paramount waxing of "Prince of Wails" (in it's most common issue, on Regal, bulled as "Henri Gendron and His Strand Roof Orch.)

Nichol's "Feelin' no Pain" (Early vocalion reissue, as the red Heads)

The Red Head's "That's No Bargain"

Benny Goodman's early Victors of "Madhouse", "Yankee Doodle Never Went to Town" (LOVE Helen Ward's vocals) and the rare and terrible "Popcorn Man".

A bunch of early Bing on Brunswick, including his "St. Louis Blues" with Ellington.

A bunch of early Mills Brothers on Brunswick.

Plies of Fats Waller, including "Pashwonky".

Several nice Boswell Sisters sides.

A bunch of Raymond Scott stuff in Brunswick.

Ditto Art Shaw and his New Music (the best of the Shaw catalog, in my opinion)

A lot of Cal Ramblers, Little Ramblers, and Goofus Five atuff on various labels (Columbia, Perfectm harmony, etc.

Many pressings on various 1930's ARC labels of pleasant 1930's dance music (Ozzie Nelson, Adrian Schubert, etc)

About ten Dixie Stompers recordings (Fletcher Henderson's `1926-28 organisation on Harmony and Velvet-tone)

Fred Hall and his Sugar Babies OkeH of "On the Night We Did the Boom Boom by the Sea"

and the best of the lot, the Broadway Bell-Hops (with Bix sitting in on the cornet) "There Ain't no Land Like Dixieland to Me"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112