Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Paquito D'Rivera's rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman." Just alto sax and a bass. (It's on a release called "Jingle Bell Jazz," which is a compilation of two older records.) I had them in college.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for back spasms to subside by --

Now playing, Will Bradley and his Orchestra from 1940, and "Fry Me Cookie, With a Can of Lard." Apparently during the brief boogie-woogie craze of the early forties, all song titles had to be constructed according to the [Verb] me, [Slangy Noun] [Transitive Verb] [Object]! formula. No wonder the fad burned out.

Next up, the tune that precipitated the breakup of the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra in 1935, "I'll Never Say Never Again Again," with some neat harmony by Don, Roc, and Skeets on the vocal. Don't you think that's a little too fast, mac?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Man, I love the Internet. Found a great Christmas Swing radio station that I'm listening to right now. Now if I could just get some snow...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
2215745820_8d33490750.jpg

The original Charleston, by Paul Whiteman, 1925.
Louis Armstrong pioneered scat singing a year later, but he may have heard the guy on this record scat talking.

Alternate take, with no scat.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I picked up two new Christmas CD's over the weekend, Tony Bennett featuring the Count Basie Orchestra, entitled A Swinginn' Christmas, and The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Best of Collection-Christmas Rocks.Obviously two very different takes on Christmas, but GEEZE, they are soooo good!

just_me

Practically Family

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
The Bogart Era

I'm listening to a CD that I find myself returning to time and time again. It's called The Humphrey Bogart Era. It is a fairly random collection of tunes from Bing Crosby to Django Reinhardt, with (somewhat annoying) bits of dialogue from Bogart radio shows interspersed.

The one track I always skip is Turner Layton's "As Time Goes By". It's Dooley Wilson or nothing for me. (Although my better half like the theme song to the excellent British TV series "As Time Goes By").

http://www.amazon.com/The-Humphrey-Bogart-Era/dp/B000QZYQTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1228415583&sr=8-1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran