Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I giving Cladrite Radio a try...I like how they throw vintage commercials in the mix. Yehoodi Radio was pretty good, but they never did that.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
"Radio is defined: 'Theater of Mind'"

^^^ A remarkable quote and an interesting story...

[video=youtube;uTysXITBCmk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTysXITBCmk[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to eat macaroni and cheese by --

It's January 4, 1939 and the Mutual network is bringing us live coverage from the Capitol as President Roosevelt prepares for his annual State Of The Union Address. Announcer Walter Compton solemnly informs us that the importance of the occasion is such that thousands of people are assembled outside the Capitol hoping to catch a glimpse of the President as he arrives, and his speech is to be translated into "eight of the world's leading languages" for foreign consumption.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Encore of sorts: Hummin' to Myself - Ben Selvin & Orch., 1932. Flipside of Cabin in the Cotton, previously mentioned in this space, Hummin' starts at 3:29 on the video. Probably best known for being covered by Linda Ronstadt.

Fresh: (well sorta...) Livery Stable Blues and P.D.Q. Blues - Fletcher Henderson & Orch., 1927. No idea which is which; the best always leave questions unanswered.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Frankie Trumbauer Orchestra

okeh.jpg

Some classics with Bix & the Whiteman boys from 1928.

Borneo / My Pet / Jubilee / Love Affairs / Bless You! Sister

dimples

New in Town
Today is a mixture of Johnny Cash and the Boswell Sisters. Strange but it works (for me anyway).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Dance band leader Bernie Cummins (March 14,1900 - Sept.22,1986)

[video=youtube;UuZ4p71kV3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZ4p71kV3Y[/video]

cummins1.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Transgressive Tram?

Juba Dance - Frank Trumbauer & Orch., 1934.

Juba Dance was one movement of In the Bottoms, a 1913 piano suite by African-American composer Nathaniel Dett, who based it on folk songs and dances. Russ Case's arrangement makes an engaging shuffle-like foxtrot of the main theme.

Altho Tram and his sidemen came from the Paul Whiteman organization - so well known for bringing a jazz sensibility to light classics - Dett, or his publisher, apparently did not like the idea. Someone complained to Brunswick and the record was pulled from release.

Source: I forget.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner