Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Capstick comes home by Tony capstick

CAPSTICK COMES HOME

I'll never forget that first day at t'pit. Me an' mi father worked a seventy two hour shift, an' then we walked home forty three mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.

Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village. Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.

We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire. Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."

Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.

Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone." He were a reyt tater, mi father. He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.

An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.

We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes. We med us own fun in them days. Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.

They don't know they're born today!!!

Tony Capstick
1944 - 2003

kittypackard

Familiar Face
midnight sonata...

... tonight's midnight is being serenaded by the syncopated brilliance of Jean Goldkette and his Orchestra's phenomenal "Slow River" (1927).

If you'd like a staste of Goldkette's steady locomotive-like beat, here's a link to his page at the inordinately wonderful Red Hot Jazz Archive: http://www.redhotjazz.com/goldo.html

Happy black bottom-ing! :D

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
1044140.jpg

"The Tres Chic, Laura Fygi France's answer to Dianna Krall, Topping interpretation of Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade( en Francaise) incorporating Clare De Lune, Do listen, if you have the chance. I was introduced to her at a Cocktail party this afternoon, not in person! but her Cd was playing, seems her Mother is French and her father Dutch, very much influenced by the "Hot Club De Paris" Don't ya know"

laura.jpg

"I was introduced to her at a Cocktail party this afternoon, not in person! but her Cd was playing, seems her Mother is French and her father Dutch, very much influenced by the "Hot Club De Paris" Don't ya know"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to boil the kettle by --

Waking up to Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra in 1930, with the Fields/McHugh pop hit "Blue Again." A great record, despite the bizarre vocal by Sid "Ten Cent Edition of Harry Richman" Garry. Pity they couldn't get Chick Bullock for this session.

Next up, following a commercial for Post Raisin Bran ("Cereal and Fruit all in one! What an idea!"), the usual workmanlike job by Ben Selvin and his Orchestra in 1932, with "All of Me." Sounds like Dick Robertson picking up a check for the vocal.

Chas

One Too Many
kittypackard said:
... tonight's midnight is being serenaded by the syncopated brilliance of Jean Goldkette and his Orchestra's phenomenal "Slow River" (1927).

If you'd like a staste of Goldkette's steady locomotive-like beat, here's a link to his page at the inordinately wonderful Red Hot Jazz Archive: http://www.redhotjazz.com/goldo.html

Happy black bottom-ing! :D

Rex Stewart wrote in his book "Jazz Masters Of the 1930's" that Goldkette's band was the only orchestra ever to cut Fletcher Henderson's unit in a battle, ever.
LizzieMaine said:

Waking up to Duke Ellington and his Famous Orchestra in 1930, with the Fields/McHugh pop hit "Blue Again." A great record, despite the bizarre vocal by Sid "Ten Cent Edition of Harry Richman" Garry. Pity they couldn't get Chick Bullock for this session.

Yeah, I know that one. It's one of a number of pop recordings that the Duke recorded during his tenure at the Cotton Club; probably at Irving Mills' prompting.

kittypackard

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:

What a lovely phrase! LizzieMaine, I do believe you've just inspired my entire morning and I am off to switch on both the kettle and good ol' Radio Dismuke!

Happy lazy Sunday morning to one and all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred