Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Feraud

Bartender
Finished Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. An amazing story of WWII POW survival.
I can recommend this and her prior book Seabiscuit.

Last edited:

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Paddy Whacked
The Untold Story of the Irish American Gangster
T.J. English
Great book and you don't want to put it down!!

This is a light,fun read,with History not well known

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie (yes House/Bertie Wooster) a very good if off beat spy thriller of all things.

I particularly love the fact that he discusses/uses the OODA loop (he refers to it as the Boyd Loop) as part of the story line.

One reviewer refered to the book as a combination of The Day of The Jackal and Code of the Woosters.

djd

Practically Family
That's odd- I bought that book when it first came out (in the 80s?) and enjoyed it. Its now had 'sudden' success due to Hughs worldwide fame post-House! I understand the book has now been a huge success in France

WH1

Practically Family
Ironically I found it on Amazon for my kindle while looking for books on John Boyd. I didn't realize that Laurie had written any novels. Apparently this was his first. There is also a short interview with him in which he references P.G. Wodehouse as the "finest and funniest writer I have ever read."

He also recommends Kyril Bonfigliolo, with whom I am not familiar but according to Wikipedia, "Bonfiglioli's style and novel structure have often been favorably compared to that of P. G. Wodehouse. Mortdecai and his manservant Jock Strapp bear a fun-house mirror relation to Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves. The author makes a nod to this comparison by having Mortdecai reference Wodehouse in the novels." I guess I will have to find some of his work now.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished The Perfect Nazi by Martin Davidson. Martin is half Scottish, half German. His grandfather was in the SS during WW2. Fascinating account of how he discovered just how deep his grandfather was in the Nazi machinery. Chilling, too.

Corto

A-List Customer
Just started Evelyn Waugh's "Sword of Honour" trilogy after giving up on Ewart Brooke's "Proud Waters". Waugh's take is (so far) a cynical and unsentimental take on WWII. Wouldn't expect anything else from him...

WH1

Practically Family
Churchill's Cigar by Stephen McGinty
An excellent history of the great man and his prolific useage of Cigars. It was my read while enjoying several good cigars.

Wine and War: The French, The Nazis. and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure by Don and Petie Kladstrup
Especially interesting history of the survival of the French wine and champagne industry under occupation. Very interesting in dealing with collaboration and the legacy of Petain and Vichy. (Unfortunately no wine here to enjoy with this one.)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Finished At Home in Mitford, by Jan Karon. Enjoyed it. The unmortified part of my personality wanted to tag it "an Episcopalian Mayberry," but Baptists and Presbyterians are alive and well in Mitford. Karon has an great ear for dialogue.

DNO

One Too Many
Always have more than one book on the go. Currently:

Star Island by Carl Hiaasen

The Deputy by Victor Gischler

No Higher Purpose...part one of the history of the Royal Canadian Navy in WW2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112