Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you snacking on?

With super girlfriend still in super baking mode, football Sunday was all about two things - watching too much football and eating too many of these buttermilk biscuits:

Win or lose, every single time Eli Manning or Ryan Fitzpatrick drop back to pass, I'm nervous as there just isn't the consistency or crispness in their passing - and their team's passing game - to make you feel good. You're almost waiting for something to go wrong. Hence, munching on a biscuit is a good stress reliever.

She doesn't need a Southern cookbook for those bad boys. Look just awesome.

She doesn't need a Southern cookbook for those bad boys. Look just awesome.

Thank you - she has real skills. I am amazed at what she can do. IMHO, she's the real deal as, for example, if a recipe calls for seven ingredients, and she only has five, she'll find a creative solution - "oh, I can substitute this or that and it will work, I just need to adjust the temperature, leave it in longer or also reduce the amount of this other ingredient, etc. -" and, yup, 99% of the time it will. She'll also say, "hmm, I think this would be better if we did this" (to a recipe in a famous author's cookbook) and, yup again, 99% of the time it will be better.

She approaches baking and cooking with a combination of science - there is an underlying chemistry at work here and she understand that - and art - how does the mind interpret combinations, what flavors "feel" right together, why would this work better with a crunchier texture - that is incredible to watch.

While I can barely boil water, after twenty years together, I can go out, eat something in a restaurant and (sometimes) be able to figure out the ingredients and even how they prepared it - what was baked, boiled, broiled, and why and in what order - because I have learned how to deconstruct a finished dish just by paying attention to details that I've learned from watching her mind work. I am a B- at this game, but she's a solid A.

Bakingpalooza continues at the Fading Fast's house as super girlfriend has been in full-on baking mode. A friend of ours dad (he's also our friend) is going on a "guys" long weekend and his daughter and my girlfriend have committed to providing many, many cookies for them (12 men who all have healthy appetites hanging out for 5 days - they are making several hundred cookies).

Below is some of yesterday's output - chocolate cookies (bittersweet chocolate, espresso and sea salt, that's some sea salt sprinkled on top that you see) and oatmeal raison. I had to impose a cookie toll tax or I might not have gotten any yesterday. To be honest, I basically ate cookies all day yesterday and not much of anything else.

I am not proud of this, but I love marshmallow, I love candy corn and I love peeps - what was I supposed to do when I saw this ⇩ in the store?

A stronger man would have resisted. A stronger man would have been too proud. A stronger man would not have bought a treat targeted toward a six year old. I think we have established that I am not a stronger man.

I am not proud of this, but I love marshmallow, I love candy corn and I love peeps - what was I supposed to do when I saw this ⇩ in the store?

A stronger man would have resisted. A stronger man would have been too proud. A stronger man would not have bought a treat targeted toward a six year old. I think we have established that I am not a stronger man.
I too am known to enjoy peeps. It's a binge type thing. Once I binge and after the sugar coma is over, no more. No more peeps. They are too sugary. I cannot stand them for too long.
:D

I too am known to enjoy peeps. It's a binge type thing. Once I binge and after the sugar coma is over, no more. No more peeps. They are too sugary. I cannot stand them for too long.

They are definitely a one-night-stand food. I will have them a few times a year and that's it - as you said, you don't want to see them after you've had your fill.

Let's re-titled this one, "What Are You Not Snacking On," as, despite a full battalion of Halloween candy having invaded every drug store and supermarket near me, I have yet to see this Halloween classic:

My real fear is the other Russell Stover's pumpkins have already been stocked, so did something happen to the orange marshmallow ones this year? Was there a bad orange harvest? (My girlfriend derides me for this as she doesn't understand the food supply-chain and questions if there are any real oranges in these; whereas, I know that Russell Stover must have its own farms to produce these - jeez, she should know better.)

I have been eating these for Halloween since I was a kid - they kind of mark the beginning of the Halloween candy season. There was a time, if my faulty memory is any good, that the orange marshmallows were the only pumpkin-shaped candy Russell Stover produced, so I have to believe they are coming, but the wait is killing me.

Fading Fast, I LOVE the RS marshmallow pumpkins (and eggs, and Christmas trees, etc). They are a guilty pleasure. I, like you, have been eating them since I can remember. Especially the Easter eggs and Halloween pumpkins. I have not searched this year, but I will let you know if I come across the orange ones.

Fading Fast, I LOVE the RS marshmallow pumpkins (and eggs, and Christmas trees, etc). They are a guilty pleasure. I, like you, have been eating them since I can remember. Especially the Easter eggs and Halloween pumpkins. I have not searched this year, but I will let you know if I come across the orange ones.

Like you, I'm there with them for every holiday they put them out. At Easter, I can hardly keep up with all the varieties they produce.

They don't do it anymore, but they used to put out a pretty elaborate turkey one with colored icing of some sort over the chocolate - now they just do a plane chocolate one. The same thing happened to the Easter Bunny who used to get a very pretty icing decoration - but they haven't done that in years.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my silly love of these things. If the rain lets up today, I'm going to expand my search field a bit as I need to find the orange marshmallow one.

Let's re-titled this one, "What Are You Not Snacking On," as, despite a full battalion of Halloween candy having invaded every drug store and supermarket near me, I have yet to see this Halloween classic:

My real fear is the other Russell Stover's pumpkins have already been stocked, so did something happen to the orange marshmallow ones this year? Was there a bad orange harvest? (My girlfriend derides me for this as she doesn't understand the food supply-chain and questions if there are any real oranges in these; whereas, I know that Russell Stover must have its own farms to produce these - jeez, she should know better.)

I have been eating these for Halloween since I was a kid - they kind of mark the beginning of the Halloween candy season. There was a time, if my faulty memory is any good, that the orange marshmallows were the only pumpkin-shaped candy Russell Stover produced, so I have to believe they are coming, but the wait is killing me.

This crisis is getting very serious. Despite rain this morning. I did a hard perimeter search and found no orange marshmallow pumpkins. Adding to my concern, many of the other Russell Stover varieties are in, but I can't bring myself to have them as I always kick off the season with the orange one.

What the heck is going on? While my girlfriend doesn't share my concern - I think it must be related to a failed orange crop (she doesn't believe these are actually grown in a field but, get this, processed in a plant - what does she know!?).

Has anyone else seen them yet this year (he cries out in desperation)?

Chocolate chip cookies with coffee. It might be early in the day for snacks, but I have been up for a few hours and already ate a breakfast. Maybe a brunch or a big snack should be next on my list of things to do.

Last edited:
This crisis is getting very serious. Despite rain this morning. I did a hard perimeter search and found no orange marshmallow pumpkins. Adding to my concern, many of the other Russell Stover varieties are in, but I can't bring myself to have them as I always kick off the season with the orange one.

What the heck is going on? While my girlfriend doesn't share my concern - I think it must be related to a failed orange crop (she doesn't believe these are actually grown in a field but, get this, processed in a plant - what does she know!?).

Has anyone else seen them yet this year (he cries out in desperation)?
Try Amazon if you get really desperate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana