Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mr Badger

Practically Family
For once, it's actually nice and sunny in Somerset – I popped across to Crocker & Woods on Catherine Hill in the hep and happenin' town of Frome, the first stockist of my handcrafted, 1940s-50s Western / rock & roll-style belts, wallets & wristbands... you can check 'em out here.

Picked up a decent Guatemalan straw fedora when I was DJing at the BathVA Vintage Fashion Fair on Sunday, took the 'orrible pungee off and replaced it with a band & bow made from deadstock French ribbon in a lovely shade of burgundy... given the rarity of sun around these parts, I just HAD to road test it today, and paired it with my Stacy Adams basketweave / elephant Madisons, a pair of Palm Beach 'Sansbelt' slacks I picked up in Brooklyn for $17 a coupla years back, a DaVinci 'Los Angeles' print rayon shirt and my Classic Specs shades... *addedum* d'oh! :eusa_doh: Of course, and the flax jacket is a Style Aire by Justers of Minneapolis!

525175_191858627629770_106940246_n.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A perfect vintage "resort look":

My Bf Tom in his vintage mid to late 40s-early 1950s sage green hollywood waist trousers, an early birthday present from me. The tropical print cotton shirt he's had for many years. The green in the shirt print perfectly matches the trouser colour. Worn today for lunch out with his Mother as we helped her celebrate her 84th birthday. His Mom got a kick out of seeing Tom in these, saying to us "Your Father would have worn those." I said in reply, "He did wear them!"

One of Tom's vacation/on holiday looks he'll be sporting on our trip to Long Beach and Catalina Island next month.

IMG_0960.jpg

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The 35mm pictures came back from processing yesterday, this taken by his 18yo ds Sarah. Couldn't resist adding just one last (I promise!) picture of my handsome teenage son in his white tie and tails from Saturday.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Looking solid, Mr. B.

Great look Mr Badger! I actually have that same shirt.

Thanks folks – as I predicted, the rest of the week has been less than Summery, in fact downright weird, weather-wise, so it's been back to denims and Big Apple caps for me! Hellish today – five minutes of blazing sunshine, followed by dark clouds and strong winds, then sunshine and rain, after that overcast and hailstones! What's a gent to do!?!? :eeek:

I really like that style of Da Vinci shirt, flat-top, and have another of the same pattern in black – a word of warning to those who are tempted by them, though, even hand-washing in cold water they shrink like crazy!

Here's some snaps of me while I was DJing at the BathVA Vintage Fashion Fair on Sunday – decided to go for a Western-meets-1950s biker look:

67580_10152748841965471_1651946651_n.jpg

73941_521442877919770_596843302_n.jpg

Here's me with my DJ pard, Louie:

922877_521442791253112_709167013_n.jpg

The cap actually came from one of the Lansky brothers, Alvin, who owns Mr Hats in Memphis – bought it before the pukka Brando-style repros became available. The jacket's by Scully, the silk-cotton striped shirt I nabbed years ago in JC Penney, I made the belt, the trousers are textured black rayon cuffed jobbies that I picked up cheap off the 'bay, and I had on my black & white, leather-soled saddle shoes from Muffy's in Oregon.

Sharing this pic via my online friends elsewhere just brought loads of negative comments, along the lines of 'have you joined The Village People / Frankie Goes To Hollywood?' and 'something to wear around the cottage', which I really just think is a bit sad. As I pointed out:

"It just shows how successful stereotypes are, really... the whole 50s biker / Western look, which is what I was aiming for and got pretty much dead-on, simply doesn't register with people. Funny that the Lansky's dandy casual look sported by Elvis, Brando, Johnny Cash et al is now associated with The Village People, in much the same way that wild-assed 1950s rock'n'roll is just 'Pink Ladies' and 'T-Birds' to most folks... don't get me wrong, I've nowt against disco, the butch scene or "Grease" (which is one of my wife's fave films), it's just a mite disappointing. But it wasn't too long ago that only skinheads and kids with nits had a Beckham-style crop, which is now the de-facto hairstyle of nearly every fella... what comes around, etc."

A point well made, methinks, but still the vaguely snide comments kept on coming... :(

Last edited:

cpdv

One of the Regulars

My 1925ish look for the day (pants are a little baggier and the jacket isnt as fitted as my prefence for the early 20s). Original straw boater made by Dobbs of 5th Avenue. The suit has grey and light blue pinstripes and the best part that you cant see in the first pic is my "autocrat" model Illinois pocket watch made in early 1923 according to the mechanism number.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
excellent headshot Mr. Badger! Perfect for a publicity photo, and as a framed 8x10 for the wife's bedside table:)

Thanks, but I don't think Mrs Badger would like to wake up in the morning and see me on BOTH sides of her, that'd be too weird!

The guy who took these is a jolly nice pro snapper who had a charity photo booth next to our DJ set-up, he also shot Mrs Badger (sorry, rather unfortunate juxtaposition there!) and she looks FAR better than I! :D

8666986363_87c3e7f215_z.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
your Missus is a pretty lady! A great picture. Her outfit as seen here including the fur hat is terrific!

Thanks, but I don't think Mrs Badger would like to wake up in the morning and see me on BOTH sides of her, that'd be too weird!

The guy who took these is a jolly nice pro snapper who had a charity photo booth next to our DJ set-up, he also shot Mrs Badger (sorry, rather unfortunate juxtaposition there!) and she looks FAR better than I! :D

8666986363_87c3e7f215_z.jpg

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Took a trip to Orlando Florida with some family friends to go on my first ever trip to Disneyworld and Universal studios.
Standing in front of my idol at the Magic Kingdom. Entire ensemble 1950's vintage. ('30s jacket on my arm). Modern wayfarer glasses.
CIMG4667_zpsf4b81e2f.jpg

Universal Studios entrance. '50s Adam Milan weave porkpie hat, '50s shirt, old navy pants, bass saddle shoes.
CIMG4771_zps4c609ce4.jpg

French pavilion at Epcott. '20s glasses, '50s Ecuadorian panama hat, '30s belted back jacket, '50s shirt, '90s slacks, bass shoes.
CIMG4989_zpsee4f2f4a.jpg

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Thanks folks – as I predicted, the rest of the week has been less than Summery, in fact downright weird, weather-wise, so it's been back to denims and Big Apple caps for me! Hellish today – five minutes of blazing sunshine, followed by dark clouds and strong winds, then sunshine and rain, after that overcast and hailstones! What's a gent to do!?!? :eeek:

Why, he dons a trench coat :D

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Why, he dons a trench coat :D

Good point, well made! S'funny, I bought a trench coat from a thrift store a coupla years back but somehow have never gotten around to wearing it – guess the small town where I live isn't urban enough to pull it off! Cripes, I get enough weird comments as it is...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner