What are you wearing today??

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by moustache, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles One of the Regulars

Well, this is my first sewing project; I basically cut them down, used the leftover fabric from the legs to make two strips, hemmed those, and sewed them into the trouser legs, shortening them as I did so, leaving it similar to elastic.

2. cpdv

cpdv One of the Regulars

I just got in a blue serge suit from speakeasyman. It's patterned off of an original from the late teens early 20s. I had him modify it into a "novelty" suit with the close button placement, (not a jazz suit though) pleated patch pockets and a pleated belted back. Also I've got my new cap from Monsivais caps on as well. You will notice how flared the jacket is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And of course some black and white spectators and fancy windowpane socks to go with my slim highwater trousers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

1950s H Bar C
    [​IMG]

5. dh66

dh66

Very nice!!

6. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

Headed to a neighborhood event, "White Linen Nights" tonight. jacket is RRL belted back, pants are part of the brown collegiate suit whose other pieces can be found in the "Show us your 30's suits" thread. Tie is 20s/30s.

[​IMG]

7. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

that's a very good RRL jacket. has something of a late 20s cut.

8. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

[​IMG]

Only thing vintage is the bracelet.

9. Derek Cavin

Derek Cavin One of the Regulars

Vintage or not, it is nice to see folks dressed up. We (Americans) have become so casual its ridiculous. I see people at stores in the pajamas.

10. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

So have I. At that point, I think - what is left? Some women go around nearly naked, middle age men dress like frat boys and now people wear pajamas in public - the ball seems to have rolled to the bottom of the hill - is there further to go?

11. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

Unfortunately, the masses can go further. They can go around in their underwear, or worse, naked. Hopefully this never happens.

12. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Another odd thing that took off several years ago and hasn't completely gone away is women wearing sheer or light-colored tops with dark colored bras underneath. To your point, it is getting closer to the day of people wearing underwear in public with nothing else.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. Retro Spectator

Actually, this might sound crazy, but if the masses leave their house with nothing else but underwear, wouldn't that mean that there would be a larger variety of clothing? Since the masses would all be wearing underwear, then they would have no say in what clothes look like, and thus, clothes would appear in a larger selection. Either that would happen, or they would cease to make clothes.

14. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Patrick Hall, great outfit. Just my taste. Casual yet elegant.

cpdv, I would like to see a full shot of this suit. Certainly looks interesting and suits your 20s style.

The other last posters should take their negativity here and leave this thread clean, please.

15. Patrick Hall

Thanks HBK - One of the things I like about RL's jackets, across the board, is the high button stance. Even where the trouser rise is frustratingly low, the jackets always button just at the right place. I think that is one of the reasons this belted back has a late 20's vibe. Also the herringbone pattern in the cream cotton is just exquisite. RRL really hit it out of the park on this jacket.

Thanks Floey, all the pieces worked together better than I'd imagined. It's nice when that happens. And I want to echo your sentiments about cpdv's "novelty" suit - light up that "vintage inspired suits" thread, please!

16. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

If only! You made a good catch on this one, as many many RL jackets have a very low button stance.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?78254-Ralph-Lauren-Beltbacks

17. HamilcarBarca3

HamilcarBarca3 One of the Regulars

Patrick Hall, I'd like to see the back of that jacket :)

I wore this today.

[​IMG]

18. McPeppers

McPeppers One of the Regulars

Actually it is worse than light colored shirts. Assuming they choose to wear a top at all - a popular style these days is a shirt with the back almost completely torn open to reveal the straps and clasp - the sides open to make sure even those with bad imaginations can guess the size and shape - and then top it all off with reflective stretchy yoga pants. It is like the Apocalypse happened while they were in their closet.

19. Retro Spectator

I'm wearing my new homemade necktie today.
    [​IMG]

20. Patrick Hall

Guess I've just gotten lucky. I think I've got 3 RL jackets, and they all button high. But, I'm sure across their line there are a spectrum of stances.

HB3 - I put up more photos of it in the Ralph Lauren thread awhile back.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Ralph-Lauren&p=1791952&viewfull=1#post1791952