Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Looking good Floey! The car is a nice accesscoire for your style. :cool:

Is this the first time you wear plus-fours/knickerbockers?

They look great with the cap and sweater. Are they original or reproduction?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Well done, Flo. The outfit looks good. Maybe it's easier to wear 'plus 4s' in a plain fabric, rather than a bold check (which can look a bit too much like a costume).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a brown herringbone but I agree that bold check would look more costumey. I was striving for a more natural and relaxed appearance.

We went to that classic car thingy hoping the car owners would be interested in dressing according to the age of their car. Very few do and for them it is really a costume. Saw a guy with a yellow car and a yellow bold check suit.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
hoping the car owners would be interested in dressing according to the age of their car. Very few do and for them it is really a costume.

Crazy isn´t it? Most vintage-wearers dream about having such cars, yet those who have them (and can effortlessly afford clothing) have mostly not the slightest interest.
:confused:

My experience is that vintage / antique car guys are car guys first and last. There, as always, will be a few exceptions, but in general these guys are intensely interested in the minutia of antique cars, but that passion doesn't spread to the rest of the items and vibe of the era. I know some of them, and my interest in the Golden Era in general - architecture, culture, clothes, etc. - does not engender conversation with these guys, but bring up when this or that tail light was used on this or that car in this or that year and the conversation will take off. Nothing wrong with that, it is just another example of where my expectation of something - they love old cars, they must love the era in general - was wrong.

Flat Foot Floey

There are very different types of classic car owners. Some like to repair the cars themselves, others just buy them and pay the garage to make them work. Some drive and some let their car in a glass house in front of their villa. Pure status symbols. There is some crazy stuff going on in that scene. Events like Goodwood in UK seem to have a slight effect towards the overall vintage appeal.

Here is my outfit from sunday. RL long sleeve Polo in cotton mohair blend.
View attachment 15676

Hats off to you sir (or should it be heads off) for rocking that vintage style. The pants and cap together truly have the vibe of the era.
As to the cars, I've noticed that here as well. I am fortunate to own an old car ('61, not a classic like in your pic) and on the rare occasion I take it out to a cruise-in or something I meet a few "T-shirt and jeans" greasers, and often some DJ is there to play "oldies" music, but most of the folks not only have no interest in dressing or looking vintage, but seem to think it weird that anyone would.
I guess I should add, at least in my case, that the budget for clothing and the budget for automobile maintenance rarely exist at the same time, if you understand my meaning. And now that I have a vintage (a.k.a. fixer-upper) home, neither of those budgets exist much at all.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
There are very different types of classic car owners. Some like to repair the cars themselves, others just buy them and pay the garage to make them work. Some drive and some let their car in a glass house in front of their villa. Pure status symbols. There is some crazy stuff going on in that scene. Events like Goodwood in UK seem to have a slight effect towards the overall vintage appeal.

Here is my outfit from sunday. RL long sleeve Polo in cotton mohair blend.
View attachment 15676

Both my Husband and I have to say, you look as if you have been transported back in time. What a great looking outfit you have on, just amazingly nice and a handsome young man as well!

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Hats off to you sir (or should it be heads off) for rocking that vintage style. The pants and cap together truly have the vibe of the era.
As to the cars, I've noticed that here as well. I am fortunate to own an old car ('61, not a classic like in your pic) and on the rare occasion I take it out to a cruise-in or something I meet a few "T-shirt and jeans" greasers, and often some DJ is there to play "oldies" music, but most of the folks not only have no interest in dressing or looking vintage, but seem to think it weird that anyone would.
I guess I should add, at least in my case, that the budget for clothing and the budget for automobile maintenance rarely exist at the same time, if you understand my meaning. And now that I have a vintage (a.k.a. fixer-upper) home, neither of those budgets exist much at all.
Having been an owner of a 39 Plymouth I know exactly what you mean. What I need is a model t speedster and a jazz suit.

Edward

Bartender
We went to that classic car thingy hoping the car owners would be interested in dressing according to the age of their car. Very few do and for them it is really a costume. Saw a guy with a yellow car and a yellow bold check suit.

I grew up around the vintage car scene in northern Ireland, and it's exactly the same there. In fact, the only two people I can genuinely recall being dressed "in theme" with their car were a cuople who drove a little thirties Topolino (I think)... painted up as the Noddy car. She was dressed as Noddy, and he, BigEars... It's very common on the car scene across the UK; the vast majority of folks are interested solely in the cars, not in any other aspect of the period. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course - it's their choice. Just strikes me as odd that it's so rare. The one exception is the fifties American car scene in the UK, which is mostly dominated by yer actual, genuine rockabillies.

Edward

Bartender

I suspect that might be part of it. Jinkies, some vintage cars can be expensive to keep on the road. Once you bear in mind also that for the vast majority of people - especially now with anything much pre early-Sixties, car-wise - it's just not plausible for the old car to be kept on the road as daily transport, it becomes even more expensive to run one as a hobby. It's something I'd be tempted to do myself, but in reality, given that I live in central London and don't want to leave, the chances of me even being able to ever afford a property where I could realistically keep the car (let alone buy it, restore it, maintain it....) are less than nil.

TBH, on the runs I went on with my folks years ago, you were lucky if some of the men didn't look like they'd crawled out from a long session under the car and just gotten into the driving seat for the run...

Flat Foot Floey

I doubt it's just the money. It's their taste. There was a stand with modern leather jackets that seemed to sell a lot. He called them "Cabrio jackets". We already joked renaming our collection with car related stuff.
Most people came in branded yuppie clothes (Armani, RL, Joop, Boss), you know? Pastel polo shirts and so on. Unless they thrifted all this it wouldn't be cheaper than most repro brands.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Here in Denmark, the other vintage car owners I've encountered, just really love their car or cars. Few dress strictly vintage when driving them, but I think it's because they don't buy into a whole lifestyle when they get their car, they are simply into the car itself.
Even with the more expensive cars (Jag X-type and up), the people I've talked with mainly got the car because it's a realisation of a life-long desire to own said car, or in some cases a more recent fascination, and then it's a question of which model they fell in love with, when doing their research.
My own passion was to get a sports car that looked good, wouldn't be overly expensive to keep in good running order, and wouldn't be overly expensive. And thus, I ended up with a vintage car.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I doubt it's just the money. It's their taste. There was a stand with modern leather jackets that seemed to sell a lot. He called them "Cabrio jackets". We already joked renaming our collection with car related stuff.
Most people came in branded yuppie clothes (Armani, RL, Joop, Boss), you know? Pastel polo shirts and so on. Unless they thrifted all this it wouldn't be cheaper than most repro brands.

I've been involved with classic cars and been around them for most of my life and as you have noticed the very vast majority don't dress vintage or to the period of their motorcars, even at events. But then you have to remember that for most owners their interest is first and foremost in the car and its engineering. That often doesn't translate to any particular urge to dress in the period that their vehicle is from. Nihil hit the nail on the head when he said:

"Few dress strictly vintage when driving them, but I think it's because they don't buy into a whole lifestyle when they get their car, they are simply into the car itself."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner