Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

ortega76

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Are you using collar stays? If not, then give them a try. If so, then maybe try some stiffer ones. And BTW, starch isn't very good for shirting.

I am, but the stay is plastic. I seem to have lost my metal ones in my last move. Thanks for the tip.

ortega76

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:
This is actually from last week, but I wanted to post this outfit because I love it! I wore it to work at the library, and then later swing dancing.

Forgive the tightness of my curls-- I had just taken out my rollers, so they're a little too tight. They got much looser (and better looking) as the day went on.
50s2.jpg

The peasant blouse is made from vintage fabric-- Grandma said she bought it between '58 and '60 and it's been in the closet ever since. I used Sense & Sensibility's Regency Underpinnings Chemise pattern to make the peasant blouse-- I shortened it by about a foot, added fabric to the sleeves to make them poofy, and put an elastic band in the sleeve hem.
The skirt is made from my grandmother's instructions. It's made from broadcloth and the hem is hand-sewn, which took me about two hours :( All in all, the outfit took me about 3 hours to make, including the 2 I spent hemming the skirt.
50s3.jpg

The crinoline petticoat I'm wearing is about 25 years old-- a hand-me-down. The pearl necklace and earrings belonged to my grandfather's mother.
The shoes were only worn for the photo, and then later for dancing. I wore a different pair of black heels for work and for walking.
50s4.jpg

Sorry for the background clutter and silly faces-- I'm no good with the timer, and the only place I could find to rest the camera was in the office, which has since been cleaned and organized.
50s6.jpg

Stunning, MTS. Simply stunning.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Sir, are you all buttoned up there? :eek:[/CENTER]

Buttoning the bottom button of a waistcoat is not necessarily a style faux pas, unless it throws off the tailoring (many waistcoats are designed with the bottom button to one side, making it wrinkle if buttoned).

I believe it was in the early 20th Century that this habit started, aping King Edward VII (king from 1901 to 1910) who was supposedly too rotund to button the bottom button. It may be more likely that he simply forgot to button it one day and the style caught on (perhaps an early example of sprezzatura?).

In any event, it is perfectly acceptable sartorially to button the bottom button, especially if dressing in a manner consistent with Victorian or earlier styles (but also if dressing in a later fashion). However, if buttoning the bottom button detracts from the natural flare of the waistcoat as it is tailored, then it should not be buttoned for aesthetic reasons.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Quite right, Max Flash.

And, from my perspective, when royalty sets a trend the independent-minded free thinker goes in the opposite direction.

Why suffer drafts around the midriff for the sake for some misguided social aspiration?

Yours warmly and fully buttoned

CP

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
I had meant to say in my previous post: I was watching the ITV production of Brideshead Revisited (from the 1980s) last week and noticed in a scene set in the mid-1930s that Charles Ryder was wearing a three-piece tweed suit with the bottom button of his waistcoat done up. Given that the series is, by-and-large, very accurate on period details, I think this must have been a deliberate method of wearing the waistcoat, and indicates that even closer to Edward's reign, wearing the waistcoat unbuttoned was not ubiquitous.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
The whole waistcoat debate will roll on forever.. The general rule of thumb is that the bottom button should be undone, however.. be your own man and wear it the way you like.. You can safely assume that 98% of the population have no idea about the "details" or correct dress anyway!!

Mary

Practically Family
Friday night..

Cherry lips! So beautiful!

fl0901001.jpg

Me, nothing to fancy, but it's a lovely broch in filtmaterial.

fl0901002.jpg

And yesterday I went to the movies and saw Aelita and Public enemy.

fl0901004-1.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Mary said:
Friday night..

Cherry lips! So beautiful!

fl0901001.jpg

Me, nothing to fancy, but it's a lovely broch in filtmaterial.

fl0901002.jpg

And yesterday I went to the movies and saw Aelita and Public enemy.

fl0901004-1.jpg

You look amazing! I've never seen someone be able to cross over three separate eras like that and still look great in them all :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Alan, What shoes are you wearing?

Those are E.T Wright double-monks made in England by Sanders & Sanders. They were on Amazon.com for awhile on clearance, and apparently showed up at some clearance outlets.

Mary

Practically Family
Thank you so much for your compliments! I felt so oldfashioned not having any waist! :)

But LauraChase, it must be some 70's remake of the 20's, don't you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot