Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
very sharp Torpedo!

Love the tie and collar bar especially.

What about starting to work with your little sweetheart daughter- teaching her to use the camera and take pictures of Daddy. She'd probably really enjoy that!

Torpedo said:
Hello,
Although I frequent the "What hat are you wearing today" thread, this is the first time I post here. I hope to keep a minimally acceptable standard... ;) I will try to have photos taken by someone, instead of self-portraits as is the case at present.

I assembled an outfit that, I think, conveys a generally 50's inspired air.

DSC_0432.jpg

Hat: vintage Stetson Whippet, sand/tan felt, with green ribbon, borderline stingy with 2'' brim.
Modern shirt and sports jacket.
50's (60's?) vintage narrow tie, halved black green/dark green with a silver flourish.
Vintage "Swank" collar bar.

PICT0792b.jpg

DSC_0431b.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
old LIFE magazines, where else...

:eek:fftopic: Paddy try evilBay USA. This morning I did a general look up under "LIFE magazine", got category of "magazine back issues". By typing in the magazine title and typing in years 1940, 1941, 1942, there are 100+ issues up for sale for each of those years. Prices are all over the map, so you just pick what you want to spend. Many sellers have listings for multiple issues in a particular year.

Hmm... Hubby is pretty good with Photoshop...

PADDY said:
As an aside, just seeing the old LIFE MAGAZINE has put me in the mood to scan the WWW for one. Shame you can't photoshop your DH and son onto the front of one!!;)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
Sun was shining but with a light breeze, it allowed me to wear this lovely early 40's DB suit from America (beautiful large lapels you can fly with!).

Due to the rush, the inside jacket retaining button is undone, hence the hang of the jacket on my torso is slightly out-of-balance/alignment (I fixed it later!). I also popped a pair of braces/suspenders (as my US Cousins say!), as the pants/trousers need them to hitch em up!, as without...(as you can see) the bottoms are breaking in more places than the polar icecap!

Moral: Do not take any photos until everything's in place!! lesson learnt, "Here endeth the lesson!" :D

Suit1939DB001.jpg

Bottom Button Is NEVER Fastened. Ever. That goes for double breasted suits as well as single. Other than that however, your photograph is quite nice and I rather like the suit aside from the breadth of the trouser legs. What kind of tie are you wearing as well, as the glare of either the Sun or the flash blanked it out. Till next time.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
interesting photo effect here Paddy,

I'd like to see it again when you've taken the rest of the color out of the background. It looks cool with only you in color. Are you going to get the pants shortened, or did they just need the braces to fix the too long legs? Overall, very nice vintage suit and tie! What was the hurry for- the weather?

PADDY said:
Sun was shining but with a light breeze, it allowed me to wear this lovely early 40's DB suit from America (beautiful large lapels you can fly with!).

Due to the rush, the inside jacket retaining button is undone, hence the hang of the jacket on my torso is slightly out-of-balance/alignment (I fixed it later!). I also popped a pair of braces/suspenders (as my US Cousins say!), as the pants/trousers need them to hitch em up!, as without...(as you can see) the bottoms are breaking in more places than the polar icecap!

Moral: Do not take any photos until everything's in place!! lesson learnt, "Here endeth the lesson!" :D

Suit1939DB001.jpg

kools

Practically Family
Casual trend continues...

Milwaukee today
68 degrees F

Early '50s leisure jacket
Modern Peguin polo shirt
Lae '40s gabardine trousers
unknown vintage AE Bedford

P1020751.jpg

P1020753.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thank you Paddy...

Its very helpful to me to get the encouraging feedback. Its good to hear that I'm doing "my" 40s vintage style WELL, even with my doing this whole "vintage thing" for less than three months.

With having been a fan of old movies and golden era music for all these many years (I discovered Fred & Ginger way back in 7th grade), its like I've been training and studying for wearing vintage all this time. Doing this seems very natural and easy to me, so I'm especially glad to get the good report.,

I actually went so far as to look up a M-W definition of the word "aplomb"- Paddy, you're a sweetheart! Adventurous and accomplished, that's what I want my 40s look to be!

PADDY said:
It can be like a walk on a high-wire when putting things together, but this is forged with aplomb!!
Love the faux fur hat - it's just 'so' cute!:eusa_clap The Van Houten is adorablel and the high waisted pants by RL are one of the things old Ralph has got right, and you wear them so well!
The lighter grey jacket just breaks the autumnal browns and tans up a tad, which is adventurous and accomplished.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Not very dressed up - and you might ask, is that vintage?
As a matter of fact, yes it is. This sweater was made for sailors and fishermen in the 30's by a danish company. And it still looks the same, even today. And it's so nice!

Smand003.jpg

Close up: Here you see the special knitting, that helps keeping the body warm even in a storm at the Northsea.
Smand005.jpg

And it actually looks a bit like this one, worn by pilotofficer "Zulu" Lewis in Battle of Britain - allthough, I wonder how he got hold of one.
XCA6N7WNICAV9Y8ZLCATHSX8RCAYR9Y2DCA.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Spitfire, that sweater is really great:) Is it possible to got one like that outside Denmark, somewhere online maybe? Maybe you could tell us the company name? It looks really nice and you wear it well:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Luke 42 said:
Spitfire, that sweater is really great:) Is it possible to got one like that outside Denmark, somewhere online maybe? Maybe you could tell us the company name? It looks really nice and you wear it well:)

Thank you Luke42 -
http://www.sns-herning.com/webshop.aspx
Is the companys online shop. Don't know if they ship outside Denmark - but since it's in english, I believe you are lucky.
They comes in a couple of colours - but the navy is the original;)
Best of luck!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Not yesterday, some gloomy November day last year, but just stumbled upon this. I've always loved the black and white combo although I do realize it suits other people better.
3504602434_50c69c57df_b.jpg

3503834543_6d2faf65a6_b.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Crazydaisy, you are so gorgeous and all the outfits you have posted suits you so well!

Spitfire - always looking so perfect, stylish and very much you!

Channeling my inner Joan Holloway again with purple tones mixed with light grey suede shoes and belt, to bad the lighting is so poor you can't see my red hair - which I love, love looooove!

DSCN0614.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire, Great sweater/jumper. Unfortunately, in that color, in XXL, it's out of stock on their website. I'm looking toward autumn.
Smand003.jpg

crazydaisy, Wonderful pictures. Love the daffodils!
3503834551_3b3abcf062_b.jpg

Mallory porkpie, Polo shirt, Gap vest, chinos, & boat shoes. It's a rosy day.
3504890737_9118bdb5ef.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
Darhling said:
Channeling my inner Joan Holloway again with purple tones mixed with light grey suede shoes and belt, to bad the lighting is so poor you can't see my red hair - which I love, love looooove!

DSCN0614.jpg
I love this outfit. Looks very good on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes