Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Mike, your vintage suit and the entire ensemble are fantastic, the vintage look is sooo perfect for you Sir...
mike said:
From the other day...

1940 dated blue and black herringbone suit which is back belted w/pleats. Pocket flap on chest pocket matches hip pocket flaps reminds me of Clark Gable's It Happened One Night suit!!!

Also wearing a vintage Dobbs fedora, green vintage unlined tie, Magnoli shirt, and AE spectators.

DSCN0751.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
No pics, but an update.

Have not been focusing on my forties vintage look of late, as we've been gearing for the upcoming West Coast Ragtime Festival in Sacramento next week. The suggested time period for clothes is arbitrarily 1890-1920, so I'm working on vintage-inspired 1900 to 19-teens.

Almost all pieces I'll be wearing are things I already own, or borrowed from our church's costume dept. that I had sewn for a past Christmas production in 2006. Just went this afternoon to a master costumer/seamstress and had her pin fit two bodices, to work with my having recently lost weight but more so several inches (hey, Pilates works!), and with my wearing a modern boned waist cincher to help achieve the right posture and proper fit for the period. I have much work to do this next week; taking in the bodices, making an extra petticoat, trimming a lace corset/bustier and possibly needing to make a long skirt to match it.

I'll make certain I have pics taken of my outfits.

analiebe

A-List Customer
so wonderful to see everyone exuding such style... as always!

its been sweltering here in melbourne (over 30 degrees celcius every day last week) but i'm a true believer that sassy style helps one keep ones cool even when things start to get a little hot under the collar... heres my last saturdays' work attire which took me out to see a friends' blues gig that same evening (with the addition of my new vintage-inspired veiled pillbox hat...)

antons (the shop/ label for which i work) 40s-inspired superfine wool pencil skirt; revival vintagesque b&w polkadot 'secretary' blouse over vintage 50s silk camisole; vintage 50's metal bow brooch & 40s-inspired vintagesque patent pumps

141109.jpg

newhat161109.jpg

volatile

A-List Customer
2w2lw1y.jpg

From head to toe:

Brixton crushable skinny-brim
Moustache for Movember (sponsor me and help fight prostate cancer!)
Vintage thermal undershirt
1940s wool loop-collar shirt
High-waisted raw denim jeans by Cheap Monday
Vintage deadstock workboots.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
volatile said:
2w2lw1y.jpg

From head to toe:

I bet those workboots are the gorgeous black ones you scored a few weeks back? Well, you finally decided what to wear with them.. :eusa_clap

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
volatile said:
2w2lw1y.jpg

From head to toe:

Great!!

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
analiebe said:

its been sweltering here in melbourne (over 30 degrees celcius every day last week) but i'm a true believer that sassy style helps one keep ones cool even when things start to get a little hot under the collar... heres my last saturdays' work attire which took me out to see a friends' blues gig that same evening (with the addition of my new vintage-inspired veiled pillbox hat...)

antons (the shop/ label for which i work) 40s-inspired superfine wool pencil skirt; revival vintagesque b&w polkadot 'secretary' blouse over vintage 50s silk camisole; vintage 50's metal bow brooch & 40s-inspired vintagesque patent pumps

141109.jpg

newhat161109.jpg

That's just lovely Ana :eusa_clap

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
After reading the gentlemen discussing vintage-inspired jackets at JC Penney, I decided to take my fella there to see if he might fancy anything. That red reversible jacket is fantastic, but the brightness was a bit too bold for him. :( (I thought is suited him to a t.)
It wasn't a wasted trip though, because the Worthington line of women's wear continues to have a lovely retro feel. I got this high-waisted tweed skirt, ivory sweater with satin sleeves and detachable fur collar, and ribbed thigh-hi socks at Penney's yesterday. And all at very nice reductions.

4110621920_5195f88836.jpg

alden405

A-List Customer
analiebe said:

141109.jpg

newhat161109.jpg

11 out of 10

volatile

A-List Customer
djgo-cat-go said:
I bet those workboots are the gorgeous black ones you scored a few weeks back? Well, you finally decided what to wear with them.. :eusa_clap

Thanks! It was almost a classic case of building an entire new outfit around a new pair of shoes! ;)

I think the belt lets me down slightly... and I need a better one. Ideas?

Edward

Bartender
volatile said:
Thanks!

I think the belt lets me down slightly... and I need a better one. Ideas?

Belt looks fine to me. [huh] I guess if you wanted a more early-50s vibe you could try one that's a bit slimmer..... I recently bought a bunch of leather belts on eBay from somebody going by.... I think it was 'the beltman' or thereabouts.... used to trade out of Camden Market - the area that got burned out last year. Cheap and good.... The other option, still, I believe, trading up in Camden (I don't go up there much now since Camden Council ripped the soul out of the place) is Gohills, on the main road (turn right out of Camden Town tube, on the market side, and keep walking.... you'll hit it just beofre the roadbridge over the canal). Indian family business, they do some great leather belts in there. I have a couple I bought in there about 99 that I still wear (though they're much, eh, shorter than they used to be, it seems....).

volatile said:

How are they for fit in the leg? Interesting they're doing a high waist - the only Cheap Monday jeans I've seen before were hipster-waisted drainpipes.... fine if you're Noel Fielding, but I'm a bit too in the Julian Barrett mould for those nowadays.... lol

analiebe said:

You look fantastic. Great ink, too!

volatile

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Belt looks fine to me. [huh] I guess if you wanted a more early-50s vibe you could try one that's a bit slimmer..... I recently bought a bunch of leather belts on eBay from somebody going by.... I think it was 'the beltman' or thereabouts.... used to trade out of Camden Market - the area that got burned out last year. Cheap and good.... The other option, still, I believe, trading up in Camden (I don't go up there much now since Camden Council ripped the soul out of the place) is Gohills, on the main road (turn right out of Camden Town tube, on the market side, and keep walking.... you'll hit it just beofre the roadbridge over the canal). Indian family business, they do some great leather belts in there. I have a couple I bought in there about 99 that I still wear (though they're much, eh, shorter than they used to be, it seems....).

Aaah, I know the place. I shall pop in next week...

How are they for fit in the leg? Interesting they're doing a high waist - the only Cheap Monday jeans I've seen before were hipster-waisted drainpipes.... fine if you're Noel Fielding, but I'm a bit too in the Julian Barrett mould for those nowadays.... lol

Oh, the legs are great. Just the right amount of looseness; very different from the usual Cheap Monday fare. I took a gamble on the sizing as they're raw (so shrink-to-fit) and they are still probably a little looser than they could be, but I think that helps give a little more of a vintage look. They were from ASOS.

Pretty please...

Would a pile of you stylish people please move to Arizona somewhere within driving distance of me? Thank you!

today is a housework day, so here am I :

1117091613a.jpg

The dress is from Nordstrom (several summers ago) and is made of jersey which is very comfy to work in. I attached a vintage embroidered nylon collar (late 40's / early 50's)

Silk gardenia and a white and red stripe apron (vintage) with Black penny loafers (new).

If you come over, I'll bake a cake... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy