Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
INCREDIBLE suit! The breast pocket flap is INSANE! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mike, are there any labels on it anywhere? Who made this suit?

mike said:
From the other day...

1940 dated blue and black herringbone suit which is back belted w/pleats. Pocket flap on chest pocket matches hip pocket flaps reminds me of Clark Gable's It Happened One Night suit!!!

Also wearing a vintage Dobbs fedora, green vintage unlined tie, Magnoli shirt, and AE spectators.

DSCN0751.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Gijoe said:
Wow.... your fall outfits are great !!!!!

This afternoon I go with the children into the forest.
- Gatsby Cap
- Grey Hollister Henley
- Brown chambray work pants
- Repro US Army Makinaw
- Us Army M-1949 Gloves

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
volatile said:
More proof, of proof were needed, that jeans and a denim jacket together are not always wrong!

It seems I'm learning everyday... I wore jeans and denim-jackets since I was a sibling:D

I've got my eye on a similar overcoat on ebay at the moment - I think this just convinced me to bid!

My coat is a early 60's pendleton I won at the bay.. very comfortable.:)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Gene, Djgo-cat-go, and GIJoe, :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap your casual outfits. Different styles, I like them all!

Mike, very good outfit, and, I must say, you have a very convincing "vintage" look yourself.

Torpedo

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap FANTASTIC ensemble and the bowler too Torpedo- one of your best looks yet! Tell us about the suit and vest, are they new or vintage??

Thank you Carey, and everybody else, for the comments.

The vest is vintage, although how much I don't know. It is a brown houndstooth pattern, less usual than the more often seen grey. The suit is modern, I have had it for a few years. Tie is vintage, 60's probably. Collar bar is vintage too.

The one thing I would like to acquire is a vintage brown bowler :D .

LaMedicine

One Too Many
At work: Casual kimono

We had an open house type event at my work place today, where we displayed the art and crafts work made by our patients as part of their rehabilitation and recouperation program. I always make the effort to attend the various events for our patients and their families in kimonos, as ours is a mainly geriatric facility, and many of our patients have their own fond memories of kimonos.
Hand dyed, hand loomed benihana (safflower) tsumugi (pongee) kimono and hand painted studious cats fun obi.
09NovCheckBH2W.jpg
09NovCheckBHBack1W.jpg

Close ups of the obi. The han-eri (jyuban collar), obi-age (bustle) and obi-jime (band) are all also hand illustrated studious cats motif. Dig the footprints all over :D
09Nov15CheckBHDetail1W.jpg
09Nov15CheckBHBackDetail2W.jpg

Oh, I even have a specially tailored lab coat for my kimono days at work lol
09Nov15CheckBHLabCoatW.jpg

navet_confit

New in Town
My first post in this thread... I wish it wasn't such a crappy picture, but my camera's dead, so I had to use my webcam. I don't own much vintage clothing, I prefer to buy vintage inspired clothes, because I'm too scared of ruining actual vintage clothing.
- Cream silk blouse, jones new york, thrifted.
- Navy sailor skirt, thrifted
- White and navy shoes, thrifted.

1356221.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
INCREDIBLE suit! The breast pocket flap is INSANE! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mike, are there any labels on it anywhere? Who made this suit?

Thank you everyone for the compliments & critiques! You really think the arms are too long? It was not eye catching to me, but I suppose I could have them taken up.

Marc - it slipped my mind to take a picture of the tag...

Frank LeBow created the suit at 303-04 Pence Bldg. Minneapolis, Minn. for Dr. Ed Bratrud with a completion date of Sept. 23, 1940.

I'm not sure if I usually wear my suits a bit too small and this one therefore feels a bit too big or if this was created with more of a drape style in mind. But in seeing the pictures, it really doesn't look too big even though when I first I tried it on, I thought it was. Great! lol

Grant Fan

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:
Thank you everyone for your complements :)

@ GrantFan :)
1) How tall are you? I am 5' 5", relatively tall for a Japanese woman, and one of my daughters top me by a couple if inches lol The length of a woman's kimono is around her height. Do you see the fold right below the bottom line of the obi? That is extra length tucked in at the waist, to adjust the length and drape to fit the body. In other words, a certain length of kimono can be worn by women within a 5 inch range in height. Kimonos sewn to my specifications can be worn within a range of 5'2"-5'7"+, which coincides with the height of both my daughters. Kimonos sewn to my taller daugheter's specifics can be worn by someone up to 5'9"-5'10'. :D
2) I once ran across a site that explained how to put on a kimono in English, but I haven't kept the link. :( Tying the obi can be a chore, but there are obis that are cut and sewn apart as the belt around the waist and the *bow* on the back, which makes things easier :)
3) I think it would be fun. I once saw a TV documentary introducing a Japanese woman married to an American and living in VA, with a closetful of kimonos :) There also was someone --BettyValentine, I think her screen name is--in this Lounge (have't seen her around for a while) from NY who said she had some kimonos and knew how to wear them, and did so some times.

I am 5'9" so I am quite tall, when I went to Japan last year I felt like I stood out like a sore thumb being so tall and then having my boyfriend with me who makes me look like a tiny person. I was interesting. I think i might have to look into things like that website, I would definately find an excuse to wear a kimono somwhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy