Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Miss sofia

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Vintage 50s dolman sleeve wool jumper, repro pencil skirt, 50s shoes, vintage feather half hat, modern unhoovered carpet!

4892496764_54af0c648c_z.jpg
A picture of elegance as usual Dovima! :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
For some reason your linked images won't show up. And no, I'm not confused, thank you! :p ;)

But you're right about the grain thing. See, the problem is that my cheap camera is producing nasty blobs of erroneous pixels and I'm actually using the added grain to mask those blobs. Not really Kodachrome-correct, I know. Getting rid of them would be possible but is rather labour expensive and would still leave you with blurred outlines. At the moment I'm merely experimenting with ways to get at least a bit closer to the color, which is a pretty difficult thing (and I'm still not there yet, even though the images look nice). Once I get my hands on a proper camera I'll be delighted to skip all that grainy trickery. ;)

BTW: What do you mean with 'transpericies'?

Here is a great collection of vintage color photos from Charles W. Cushman.

repeatclicks said:
You must be confused... Kodachrome was a very, very fine grain (think 50 ISO) color transparency film that yielded an incredibly detailed, colour rich and colour accurate image. There was almost zero grain to the transparencies and the results are nothing short of stunning.

You can still get transparency film in the form of Fuji Velvia, but the colours are heavily blown out, causing most to refer to the film as 'Disneychrome.' Still a great film though.

The images below are genuine 1940s Kodachromes, and you can see the difference.

1a34909u.jpg

1a34879u_0.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
NancyLouise said:
A little :eek:fftopic: again, but maybe you could find an old Kodachrome picture from this period that you really like (good lighting, someone wearing a color you like or someone with a similar skin tone) and then try to approximately copy the colors they are wearing and the prominent colors in the photo then doing a side by side in photoshop, tweaking the photo until you match up the colors. Maybe it would provide some enlightenment? Also, Kodak has a pretty good history of providing tightly grained films and from what I've seen a lot of Kodachrome photos weren't very grainy unless it was a dark setting. Maybe this will help? (Couldn't help but comment, I'm a little bit of enamored with photography and very pro film.)

I'm always grateful for good tips, thank you. And yes, I have a great collection of Kodachrome images that I can use as a reference. I think to really get the look down you'd have to do a lot of masking of similar colored areas. For example, the whites get easily too tinted if you're just playing around with the saturation on the whole image. For the thing about the grain read my response to repeatclicks above. :)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
These are Bostonians and a bit older than the nice Florsheims you scored. Old Bostonians are very good but I wish they were Florsheims from the '50s instead - that'd be even a bit better! :)

I'd be hard-pressed to find nice vintage shoes (and I'm talking about the real stuff here) in German thrift stores. I already considered myself really lucky to have scored the Florsheim shoes. I'm really beginning to think I should go and visit my family in Knoxville and do some intense thrifting along the way... :D ;)

laotou

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
I'd be hard-pressed to find nice vintage shoes (and I'm talking about the real stuff here) in German thrift stores. I already considered myself really lucky to have scored the Florsheim shoes. I'm really beginning to think I should go and visit my family in Knoxville and do some intense thrifting along the way... :D ;)
What size Mario? I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Torpedo

One Too Many
It is hard to keep an acceptable level with so many great examples!

Today I donned this summer ensemble...

DSC00229b.jpg

Hat is vintage (Lee Adventure), as are the collar bar and tie. I chose a pretty discreet one, to pair with the already busy enough sports jacket.

DSC00239b.jpg

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I went to the park today with some friends. The shots aren't the best, but I suppose they'll suffice. The jacket sleeves look a little shorter than they actually are due to bunching.

4896401115_4f692685a6_b.jpg

And to complete the ensemble:

4896401023_ff75b64055_z.jpg

The shoes are a bit big, but I haven't had time yet to remedy that issue.

——S.

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
The photo accentuates the problem; they're not as big as they look — only really a half size too large. With thicker socks, they fit fine.

For $20, I couldn't really turn down a pair of Florsheims in this condition. And if inserts don't fix the issue, then I'll retire them.

——S.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It's been around two months since I last posted here as I've been relatively busy since and without reliable internet. Now that I'm settled into my new home in a rather rowdy youth infested town I've had time to see what I've missed on this thread and post a few pictures of my own. I'll try to post here a few times a week when possible, but this will probably be the only thread in the FL that I regularly visit.

This one's from a Duke of Edinburgh expedition in Dartmoor which I mentioned a couple of months ago in the adventure gear thread.
35384_10150221785810408_703140407_13305093_1546558_n.jpg

Here's one of me inside my tent on the first night. We became so wet during the afternoon that once the tent was up I stayed in there all evening refusing to come out and made my friends do the cooking (in my defence I took over cooking the other two nights).
38129_10150221784235408_703140407_13305008_1244324_s.jpg

My "adventure" gear consisted of all modern items though I like to think that the hat and the jumper gave it a slightly vintage look.

And here's a picture taken last Thursday. I tried to be interesting by adding some green.
38971_420573589830_531509830_4499326_2806588_n.jpg

-Akubra Federation
-60s Dunn and Co suit
-70s or 80s shirt (I believe) with a subtle microcheck to it
-modern silk tie
-modern quaker parrot born two months ago

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
A fine ensemble sir. However, I don’t think I’d add the green myself, at least not if I were going outdoors. lol
avedwards said:

-Akubra Federation
-60s Dunn and Co suit
-modern silk tie

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss Hannah - perfectly turned out - as always!

Not strictly worn today but I did wear this to my friend's Hen Party on Saturday - grey Suzy Perette dress, red swing coat, navy satin LK Bennett shoes and black Chanel clutch:

Download16August219.jpg

Download16August220.jpg

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE Not strictly worn today but I did wear this to my friend's Hen Party on Saturday - grey Suzy Perette dress, red swing coat, navy satin LK Bennett shoes and black Chanel clutch:

Download16August219.jpg

Download16August220.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What beautiful clothing! You look divine!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
avedwards said:
It's been around two months since I last posted here as I've been relatively busy since and without reliable internet. Now that I'm settled into my new home in a rather rowdy youth infested town I've had time to see what I've missed on this thread and post a few pictures of my own. I'll try to post here a few times a week when possible, but this will probably be the only thread in the FL that I regularly visit.
And here's a picture taken last Thursday. I tried to be interesting by adding some green.

-Akubra Federation
-60s Dunn and Co suit
-modern silk tie

Glad to see you're back! :)

Nice hat. The felt has a lovely feathered appearance to it. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member