Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
DSCN4793.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok so after looking at this thread over the years I have come to the conclusion that gentlemen have it easier when it comes to dressing vintage. Mens wear hasn't changed as dramatically over the years like women's wear has

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan, I have to say, after what seems like years of seeing you in great ensembles, this suit is my favorite. Love it! :eusa_clap

Thank you very much. It's a new acquisition, and is now one of my favorites, too.

AlanC, I love those (gold?) cufflinks you're wearing with your suit. What can you tell us about them?

The cufflinks were the first thing I noticed looking at that last picture, also. Fantastic! Where did you get them?

Thanks. The cufflinks came from the source of all things: ebay. They were made by the company HWK, and are Belais white gold front. I figure they're ca. 1920s. I have put together a small collection of them. Pics below.

img3123p.jpg

img3134r.jpg

Derek WC

Banned
Ok so after looking at this thread over the years I have come to the conclusion that gentlemen have it easier when it comes to dressing vintage. Mens wear hasn't changed as dramatically over the years like women's wear has

Try wearing a suit to high school. Maybe I'm odd, but I don't like being called a "pimp".

I have to agree with Hap Hapablap, AlanC. Great look (silhouette?) there, Paddy.

Last edited:

Torpedo

One Too Many
It was TWEEDleDAY for me...

DSC01024.jpg

DSC01022-1.jpg

DSC01032b.jpg

Cap is a Christy's. Jacket is a hacking style, in a woolen tweed-like material, with suede elbow patches and cuff trimmings. The pattern being busy enough, I chose a pretty plain tie - the embroidered pointer dogs seemed appropriate, too, adding to the overall country look ;).

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Three-piece with interesting treatments. Knit edges of the waistcost, large patch pockets and elbow patches on the jacket, also note the button hole on the lapel. Not-quite-horizontal front pocket on the trousers. Vintage bone and brown Dexter spectators. Lid by Dave Johnson in Las Vegas.

IMG_0205-crop.jpg

IMG_0206-crop.jpg

IMG_0215-crop.jpg

IMG_0216-crop.jpg

IMG_0214-crop.jpg

Slim that tie not has to go in favour of a half windsor...IMHO of course...

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Just for Fun.
- Gatsby Cap
- Ralph Lauren chinstrap Work Shirt from the 1990s
- RL Back belted Jacket
- Tweed Vest
- Ascot tie
- Officers Pinks
- british Bulldog Pocket Revolver

Last edited:

WineGuy

A-List Customer

Perhaps! But I've noticed a lot of vintage styles coming back for women, and I think woman are given more flexibility with the looks. I've been accused of "wearing a costume" just because I like wear a fedora with my suits.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I rather disagree. It's not as easy as: A suit is a suit. It's all about details. And you have to "learn" them first if you go for a specific era. Often they are almost contrary to the style worn ten years before. Most of them can't be found in modern suits.

Examples?
-Skinny legs don't go well with a 30s, 40s outfit but they are good with 60s.
-The 1920s square sack suits where followed by extreme hourglass sillouttes in the 30s.

For me this changes ARE "dramatically" enough.

Similiarities are even worse. The 1970s where influenced by the thirties but often you can see the difference on details and the whole suit just looks like a cheap costume.
Plus there are many "rules" what to wear to which occasion (did you read the whole white tie, black tie thingy?)[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy