Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
outfit1.JPG

annet

One of the Regulars
that's ok! berets grow into my head as soon as it gets cold, and they detach themselves when the sun comes back. this is a very cheap knit one from h&m.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Dressed for today's New Year event for our patients.
11Jan7Cut4W.jpg
11Jan7BackW.jpg

Plum blossom motif kimono to symbolize the coming spring and rabbit motif obi to symbolize the Year of the Rabbit. The rabbit design is adapted from Choju(-jinbutsu) Giga, considered an origin of manga.

11Jan7YakkoW.jpg

Detail of obi-dome, obi brooch carved from wood by a traditional method called ittobori, meaning carved with only a single blade. The motif is Yakko-dako Yakko kite. Yakko is the nickname of servants of daimyo (samurai lords) who carry the luggage of their lords on their travels. Yakko kites were popular toys for New Year holidays, though they are rarely seen now.

All of the motifs are chosen to symbolise the New Year celebration.
Both kimono and obi are pongee, so the motifs are woven, not stencil dyed/hand painted.
I used this obi for the design of our family's New Year card for this year.
2011NengaWeb.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vintage "Imperial Headwear" flat cap
A.G. Meier & Co. uniform jacket (railroad?)- I've added a reddy kilowatt pin to the lapel
'30s bow tie
Early '50s Australian Battle Dress trousers
M-69 Transport Coat, quickly becoming my new favorite winter coat
Vtg. Canadian-made gunboats
IMG_00182.jpg

IMG_00202.jpg

brendon

Familiar Face
it been a long time with me not posting, i had to get back into it i have to say dinerman you lokk amazing in all your pics i love your yellow bow tie i want one.
me from today vintage collar bar
modern burtons shirt and tie vintage tie slide
modern waistcoat and pocket watch and modern pocket square
DSCN4845-1.jpg

DSCN4844.jpg

DSCN4843-1.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Normal everyday wear?

We have many threads about us wearing our vintage clothing and such. but what to you all wear normally, just to go to work, or to the store, or to hang out with friends?

I can't imagine everyone dressing up in suits and ties or dresses and skirts ALL THE TIME.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my humble opinion that thread would be pretty boring. We see it everyday on the streets. There is pretty much of vintage inspired work or casual wear in the "What are you wearing today??" thread. Not only suits. But it still looks better than the usual stuff.

Marla

A-List Customer
Actually...I'd say a good number of us do indeed wear dresses and skirts and suits "ALL THE TIME".

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
In my humble opinion that thread would be pretty boring. We see it everyday on the streets. There is pretty much of vintage inspired work or casual wear in the "What are you wearing today??" thread. Not only suits. But it still looks better than the usual stuff.

I was just curious how everyone dressed on a day-to-day basis. How far doe some people take the vintage look. do they wear it all the time or just special occasions?

Jan

One of the Regulars

I disagree.

For those who manage to maintain the vintage aesthetic for everyday wear, whether it's going to the store or just going out to meet with friends, is something that they have to really dedicate themselves to.

Which is one of the reasons I really admire the rockabilly crowd. Those who look of it as a lifestyle, rather than a scene or trend, are completely submerged in it. And it's amazing.

From Art Deco houses to keeping their modern technologies down to a TV, computer and cell phone, they really live the lifestyle.

I'm not one to wear suits, as I don't have any. But the look that I have, is just my everyday look and my lifestyle. I have the same aesthetic day in and day out.

Otherwise you're just dressing up for the internet.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't take on a vintage look so much as simply dress classically inspired as often as I can, practically speaking. I tend to use the aspects of the 1950s and the more conservative elements of the 1960s (probably more "James Bond" than "hippie," for example) as my "style role model" decades. Of course, all of my clothing is modern, with the exception of a vintage Stetson hat. What I wear on a daily basis includes on average the following; dress shirt, chinos, jeans, leather belt, leather shoes (dress and casual), sport coat, leather jacket, sometimes a hat (especially with the sport coat), occasionally a tie (without jeans). I don't wear suits, but it's more of a matter of me not finding the right suits yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner