Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dickschaedel would come pretty close in my opinion. Apologies if I've spelled it wrong but I haven't written German for several years and then I was too young to have learned properly when I left the place.

Not bad, but Dickschädel refers to a stubborn rather than a cocky/big-headed person. :)

Here's the difference, using the same person (...) as a model.

Großkopfert:​

pepe.png

Dickschädel:​

pepe.jpg

TTO

Familiar Face
Nice suit, TTO.... where is it from? Looks a similar cut to the made-to-measure line from Roderick Charles. The cuts of all their stuff over the coupe of years I have been following them are very Fifties to my eye.

Love the colour, too: brown suits somehow have something immediately vintage about the look when accessorised right....not sure why.

The suit is a Domenico Spano that seems to have been uncollected/not paid for by it's original owner!
It's fantastically well made and of a beautiful linen/mohair blend that really comes to life in the light!
I think it will look suitably period if dressed that way, here i was just trying out colour and textures to see what worked with it before wearing it out for my friends art-show opening/ my Birthday... unfortunately the weather turned and it was too cool for this summer suit!

TTO

Familiar Face

What I actually wore as it was too chilly for the summer DB.
Vintage Bespoke suit, Vintage Neapolitan Knit tie, Vivienne Westwood hanky(birthday gift) and MTM end on end pale grey shirt.
(muted purple and grey polka-dot socks, and black suede captoe oxfords)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
This was two weeks ago. The weather was cool enough to allow a heavy weight three piece.
222050_1993200277953_1481806055_32275026_3343792_n.jpg

-50s suit
-70s tie with the lining removed so that the knot is of a more reasonable thickness

This was yesterday in an old Georgian courtroom which is now a museum. It was unusually humid and warm for this time of the year but I am determined not to let the summer get the better of me so I still wore a 26oz wool suit.
227640_10150602501550235_560480234_18701530_2757553_n.jpg

-60s tie
-60s NOS suit (more about this in my British suits thread when I have better pictures as this is an interesting piece of local history)

Edit: the suit, shirt, waistcoat and hat of the second outfit are grey and the tie is black so I don't think it matters too much that I only have a black and white picture, though the suit is actually more of a Prince of Wales check than it looks in this picture.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Edwards! I love the first photograph. My only comment is that your watch-chain looks ridiculously high.

My rule of thumb goes as follows:

Six or more button-waistcoat - Watch-chain at 2nd or 3rd button from the bottom.
Five-button waistcoat - Watch-chain at 4th button (second from the bottom).

Maybe I'm just really picky about watch-chain symmetry, but I'd be shifting that chain down to the 4th button so that it's in-line with the top of the watch-pocket. But that's just a habit of mine.

You look great!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Looking good there! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Makes me think that I still don't have a nice 3-piece. The ones I found were either too pricey or too short. Or too wide. Same old story... :rolleyes:

I think vintage three pieces are easier to get hold of in the UK because we were the only country who still religiously believed in always having one's waist covered right into the early 60s. At least I've come across quite a few both in vintage shops and ebay, though this was the only one which fit me (and through good luck without needing any alterations).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, Edwards! I love the first photograph. My only comment is that your watch-chain looks ridiculously high.

My rule of thumb goes as follows:

Six or more button-waistcoat - Watch-chain at 2nd or 3rd button from the bottom.
Five-button waistcoat - Watch-chain at 4th button (second from the bottom).

Maybe I'm just really picky about watch-chain symmetry, but I'd be shifting that chain down to the 4th button so that it's in-line with the top of the watch-pocket. But that's just a habit of mine.

You look great!

Thank you :). I always thought that with a single albert chain it looked better if the chain is higher than the watch pocket so that it doesn't dangle down too low, but you may be right. I always wear the watch in the second highest buttonhole on five or six button waistcoats and in the highest on low cut black tie waistcoats but I may try your idea tomorrow, assuming I don't decide to wear a DB suit in which case it would be a boring wrist watch.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Not bad, but Dickschädel refers to a stubborn rather than a cocky/big-headed person. :)

Here's the difference, using the same person (...) as a model.

Großkopfert:​

pepe.png

Dickschädel:​

pepe.jpg

I think you're right. I was translating too literally. It seems there is no German word for bighead but at least German can redeem itself by having words like "verschluckt" which there is no English equivalent for (it may be a strange example but I always find it irritating that there is no English word for this).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Friday evening for Foxtrotting in; the ivory silk chiffon with bright pink and purple flowered printed dress that I'm wearing in my current avatar picture, pearl necklace, pearl bracelet. Very dark brown vintage fur stole. When I arrived at the house of my Mr. and he saw me in this dress, he said "Beautiful, as always." *smile*, he decided (on his own no less) to wear a purple solid dress shirt to match my dress, and charcoal grey slacks. One dance instructor there kept insisting that I surely must have laid out his clothes for him, not taking my "No, I didn't" as my answer! I might on the very rare occasion suggest a certain type of shirt for him to consider for an evening's going out, but I'd never lay out clothes for him! We looked damn gorgeous together, the best dressed couple there that night. As we were in the dance lesson, I looked across the group of dancers at him at one point, admiring how handsome he looked wearing that shirt he specially chose to wear to match what I had on... sigh:)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Not today but last night. My wife and I went to a function where I got a minor service award. Since it was a Saturday night in Waikiki my wife and I decided to do it mid-Century swinging style.

Her red 1960s flower cocktail dress:
396640747.jpg

My Continental style suit:

396640669.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn