Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Casual clothes for wearing to the El Dorado Country Fair in Placerville, CA Thu, Fri and Sat. Brought along jeans and tshirts and my sneaks, and the requisite swimsuit for playing in the pool.
Watching the horses Saturday morning:
IMG_0989.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A former middle school teacher of my kids saw me at church this morning and couldn't believe how I looked, how much I've changed in the last year or so since I'd seen her. So I asked my dd to take my picture:

Ralph Lauren Chaps navy and white print knit wrap with ruching up the left side, worn with black pumps. I'd removed my gold wrist watch by this point in the afternoon.

First pic is when my Sarah caught me touching up my hair before taking the picture!
IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1015-1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Last night: 2 button peak lapel 3 piece black herringbone suit from 1933. '30s Disney derby. '40s tie, spearpoint shirt with collar bar. Church's wingtips.

IMG_2929.jpg

Back to some previous discussions about '30s suits versus modern ones in terms of length. The sleeves and the skirt of the jacket are almost the same length. It's not something to be altered to "fix". It was a style, popular in that decade, which I find very flattering. Emphasizes the vertical.
IMG_2925.jpg

Kling Brothers- Chicago
IMG_2942.jpg

March 7, 1933.
IMG_2943.jpg

Last edited:

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Derek, I tried to send you a private message to respond to your private message, but got a prompt back saying you were not receiving any private messages at this time. Just wanted you to know that I tried!

MarkL

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Nice suit D-man (and well coordinated outfit). The short jacket length looks fine on you in those pictures. Do you ever wear the jacket and waistcoat with striped trousers as a stroller? It looks like it would be perfect for that.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yes it would. Thanks for taking all that trouble to point out the slight typo.
Here's another ad.
1939.jpg

Those prices in today's dollars are roughly $380 to $960.
The suit was supposedly worn by its original owner at his wedding. It came as part of a lot, along with the early '30s lace dress worn by his bride.

He wore it a fair bit with a watch or key chain, going by wear on the pockets, but otherwise the suit's survived pretty well.

Last edited:

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
A muggy day checking on an old place of ours in Waynesville, NC - a 1909 farmhouse. Wearing a tropical weight wool suit w/patch pockets, 1940's Van Heusen tie, Resistol Panama hat, and Church's tan bucks.
IMG_0485.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
A former middle school teacher of my kids saw me at church this morning and couldn't believe how I looked, how much I've changed in the last year or so since I'd seen her. So I asked my dd to take my picture:

Ralph Lauren Chaps navy and white print knit wrap with ruching up the left side, worn with black pumps. I'd removed my gold wrist watch by this point in the afternoon.

First pic is when my Sarah caught me touching up my hair before taking the picture!
IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1015-1.jpg

Beautiful chanteuseCarey! :eusa_clap
Ernest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'40s Cap
WWII flight jacket
Railroad stripe workshirt repro
older Banana Republic vest- along the lines of an old woolrich or Brown's Beach railroad/hunting vest
nothing-special jeans
Canadian army boots

IMG_3022.jpg

"Imperial" Cap
IMG_3027.jpg

Cut down WWII Navy Colvinex (formerly) heated flight suit
IMG_3028.jpg

Striped workshirt with cigarette/watch pocket. I've stuck on a 1936 Landon/Knox pin because I'm sure no good could come of the Roosevelt fellow. (there's actually an ugly embroidered logo on the shirt and it was the best looking vintage pin I had laying around at the moment to cover it up with.)
IMG_3030.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
(there's actually an ugly embroidered logo on the shirt and it was the best looking vintage pin I had laying around at the moment to cover it up with.)
I wish you wouldn't have mentioned the ugly logo because I now want to see it. Sad but true.:eek:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's the shirt. I found mine at the thrift shop for a couple bucks less than the one in the ebay auction. I was able to take off the logo patches on the sleeves, collar and hem, but the logo by the pocket is actually embroidered on, so there's not much that can be done but cover it up. The shirt's no $200 Japanese repro, but it has pretty nice pocket detailing and you can't beat the price.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I was able to take off the logo patches on the sleeves, collar and hem, but the logo by the pocket is actually embroidered on
Boy did they go overboard with branding! Tags are one thing as they can usually be carefully removed but embroidery has a nearly impossible fix. The only effective technique I've seen, and this depends on the garment's colorways, is to use a permanent marker to render the embroidery virtually invisible.

I learned of this from the good people at Dunhill. I had been looking at one of their quilted country jackets in navy blue but I balked because of a white Dunhill logo on a side pocket. The manager said that he could have it removed if it posed a problem for me. I came back later that week to find the logo gone. I asked him how it was done and he produced a blue Sharpie..................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy