Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

rue

JanetKleinShow-sa-2011-11-5973.jpg

Very nice Espee! Your friends look terrific too :)

That's a great hat on you TTO :)

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Though it's the middle of fall and we already had a day of snow, the weather here in New York spiked up to 70 degrees on Tuesday. I went for an early '50s casual look that day.
-1950's Lee Fedora
-Early 1950's Ripley sportcoat
-Modern Shirt
-1950's tie
-'80s/'90s Gorsart slacks
-Allen Edmund Wingtips
CIMG1983.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Today I am wearing:

Black, leather soled Oxfords. Beautiful shoes of no discernable brand, but claimed to be Northampton handmade, all leather. No reason to doubt it - and got them brand new on eBay for a pittance (GBP35.00).

Navy 1950s peg trousers, reproduction from HeyDay

On the top is a long sleeved t-shirt type shirt (tucked in, of course!) black and white horizontal stripes (narrow) - ex-Russian military.

Outerwear consists a Buzz Rickson B15-C MOD jacket and a B wear cap in grey herringbone tweed.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Well, I'm not a guy, but I do love to see your suits (along with other Lounger's attire) and I'm not an original member [huh]

Seconded, or thirded, (can one third?). I love looking at all the dapper folks on here, it really has been a mine of useful information and inspiration. I would love to see some of your outfits!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Tuesday - rather casual. The waistcoat is by David Saxby (London). It's a lovely cotton/wool mix. The silk cravat is also from David Saxby.
crop-2.jpg

Wednesday: I went for the traditional English country look. Brown moleskin trousers (by Spencers), vintage Dunn & Co jacket, waistcoat by David Saxby, vintage 'Rooster Knit' tie. Boots by Cheaney.
countrycrop.jpg

Thursday: Winter is here! That gives me the perfect excuse to get the classic 'British Warm' overcoat out of the cupboard.
crop-1.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is from a few days ago. Unfortunately I don't have color version of it.
It's this blue jacket and a red vintage tie. The shirt is grey/greenish with white stripes.
dsc02033flobildvonhagen.jpg

berlinjacket2.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I still can't get over the fact that you came to Berlin and found this in a place where I have never found anything but JUNK!!! :eusa_doh:

Guess that's why Berlin has become so popular...we always keep our best stuff for the tourists... ! lol :D

Edward

Bartender
Saturday 5th November, before heading out to the Ric Rac Club:

IMAG0701.jpg
IMAG0702.jpg

Sunday last (same suit and tie, different shirt!):

IMAG0715.jpg

Today (11/11/11 - Nigel Tufnel day!):

IMAG0720.jpg

These trousers are special. They go to eleven.

IMAG0722.jpg

Shoes Barker; Trousers HeyDay; collarless shirt Joe Brown's; cravat Duggie (I think - still wearing it!), vintage, Sixties (probably); covert coat Roderick Charles of Jermy Street; fedora Akubra Fed Deluxe, Mk III. The jacket is vintage. Age unknown. The only label in it is "All wool / made in England". No wool mark, which suggests a pre-1964 manufacture. Picked it up a couple of years ago for forty pounds GB on Portobello Road. Completely as new condition. It's a style that looks very vintage to me, but given how little that style of jacket changed over time, it's hard to date it exactly.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Another great outfit, Edward. Those trousers really are something! The combination with the collarless shirt and the ascot is wonderful. Aren't you afraid to stumble over one of this trouser legs?

Last edited:

Gene

Practically Family
The jacket is vintage. Age unknown. The only label in it is "All wool / made in England". No wool mark, which suggests a pre-1964 manufacture. Picked it up a couple of years ago for forty pounds GB on Portobello Road. Completely as new condition. It's a style that looks very vintage to me, but given how little that style of jacket changed over time, it's hard to date it exactly.

It looks like a British counterpart to the American "Hollywood" jacket. Love the collar and 4-buttons!

Edward

Bartender
Another great outfit, Edward. Those trousers really are something! The combination with the collarless shirt and the ascot is wonderful. Aren't you afraid to stumble over one of this trouser legs?

Thank-you, Sir. I've yet to take a tumble with them, though it is important that you have them the right length.... I did once tread on the back of them on some stairs. lol I can certainly see why back in the day they did tend to wear legs this wide just that bit shorter. Heyday sell these as 40s (their Gallipoli model); I believe them to have been based on a post-War, post-cloth rationing pattern. They work equally well for pre 1939 too, I think.

The cravat / collared shirt thing I picked up a while back.... I used to like a collarless shirt for occasional no-tie days. At a time I felt they looked quite smart buttoned (before I developed such a fondness for ties!), and preferred them to a loose collar (I still don't care for open collar with a blazer or suitcoat when worn in the contemporary manner, but discovering folding the collar out over the jacket was a revelation). I've long liked the workingman look of a collarless shirt with lounge suits and such, probably a result of watching one too many films set in Ireland in the late Teens / early Twenties. Adding in the cravat was something I did once or twice of necessity (last clean shirt, wanted something a bit tidier than the bare open-neck itself.... but I came back to it as a deliberate look having seen it on a fellow New Sheridan Club Member last Summer and being inspired by how good it looked on somebody else. His was a proper repro of a vintage shirt, designed to take collar studs. He actually wore his with the studs in place (but no collar attached), and it looked superb!

It looks like a British counterpart to the American "Hollywood" jacket. Love the collar and 4-buttons!

Yes, very much so. I've often wondered whether this style was in some ways the inspiration for the Hollywood jacket. It's really a country jacket, and to the best of my understanding would originally have been worn in the same sort of circumstances as the Norfolk jacket (obviously one difference being that this is an unbelted style). Since the Seventies this four pocket style has often been referred to as a "Safari" jacket, and I supposed I can see certain commonalities to the two different styles.

Absolutely fantastic Edward! I love that coat :)

Thank-you! Yes, my Roderick Charles Covert was definitely a good buy! I picked it up in a sale last year for £200, down from £500. I was a little disappointed originally they didn't have them with velvet, but actually since then have been very pleased by that. The velvet on a collar is nice as a look (my understanding is that originally it was more utilitarian than that, velvet being used to cover up a worn collar). Without it, though, this jacket is more flexible. Most commonly you see brown velvet on this jacket, which would limits its going with blacks and greys, IMO. Got my eye on one in Charles Tyrwhitt, in a nice charcoal shade now.... Really, they should be earthtones: they started out as groundskeepers coats before, as with so many things, the gentry adopted them. The cloth is a specific part of what makes it a covert. Also the extra lines of stitching round the cuffs and hem, which were designed to stop a snag from running further and ruining the coat. Originally they would also have had large inside pockets, designed to fit a packed lunch and other necessities for outdoors all day types. THose pockets, of course, are mostly dispensed with now that they are worn in cities. ;) I love the breast pocket - so handy for gloves. I've even seen them worn in more clement weather by some of the more flamboyant city boys, in place of a blazer in "business casual", with a pocket square in the breast. Reminiscent of a drape or a zoot suitcoat. Too fashion-forward for me, but I've seen it pulled off with aplomb by the kind of guy you might imagine as a typical Oswald Boateng customer.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Melbourne Pen Show tomorrow and it's the preshow dinner tonight.

In anticipation of pens, inks, paper, stains and spills, I am wearing a mostly black enssemble today (and, weather permitting, tomorrow as well).

It's a habit/tradition of mine to wear black at the Pen Show. That way, stains don't show up on my clothes.

Today's setup:

Black waistcoat.
Black trousers.
Black shoes.
Dark socks.
White, shortsleeved shirt.
Silver-grey tie.
Black rabbit-felt homburg.

This is actually my first time wearing my homburg in public. I hope it looks good...

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Melbourne Pen Show tomorrow and it's the preshow dinner tonight.

In anticipation of pens, inks, paper, stains and spills, I am wearing a mostly black enssemble today (and, weather permitting, tomorrow as well).

It's a habit/tradition of mine to wear black at the Pen Show. That way, stains don't show up on my clothes.

Today's setup:

Black waistcoat.
Black trousers.
Black shoes.
Dark socks.
White, shortsleeved shirt.
Silver-grey tie.
Black rabbit-felt homburg.

This is actually my first time wearing my homburg in public. I hope it looks good...

It really would be nice to see some photos, if possible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy