Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What's the deal with the pennies? I've heard them called penny loafers, but never caught the etymology of that.

The two slits in the upper leather, below the tongue, are just wide enough to hold a penny in between them; the penny peeks out under them. Supposed to bring luck for exams (in a campus setting).

MB15

New in Town
Hello everybody
Ok, this is my first post on this thread. I tried to look somewhat casual in these warm(haha) summer days. Here we go:
1006842.jpg

1006841w.jpg

1006840.jpg

1006839.jpg

Greetings
Marco

Gene

Practically Family
The two slits in the upper leather, below the tongue, are just wide enough to hold a penny in between them; the penny peeks out under them. Supposed to bring luck for exams (in a campus setting).

I had a woman tell me once if they were really fancy they wore dimes or quarters! It is a good luck thing, started by college kids in the 40's. That little penny peeking out makes for a little extra flash!

MB15

New in Town
Hello RBH
Tanks for your compliment. It's one of the first times i tried the tie-over-jacket-look, that Mario excellents in.
The jacket is a 1940's Richman Brother's jacket. Middle-brown with light over-check, half-lined, middle-weight-wool. Perfect for summer, i think.
Greetings
Marco

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Looking sharp MB15. Welcome to the Lounge.

Mountain Man, great look. Dare I say you have that dapper Country Doctor look about you there? You remind me of the family Doctor we had as I was growing up. He was one amazing person. Well done.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Thanks Mate - you know, I didn't think of that connection 'til you mentioned it - over in Murphy, NC there was a practice of 3 Docs who had served in World War Two together, and set up a rural practice together after the War - Dr. VanGorder, Dr. Rodda, and Dr. Blaylock - they were a solid, brilliant group of men. One of my cousins was Dr. VanGorder's nurse and I particularly remember that the Doc was one of the best dressed men I ever saw. They sure don't make 'em like they used to - in any aspect!

Edward

Bartender
After a long weekend of work-related residential, on top of a conference last week, I was feeling lazily rockabillyesque this morning....

IMG_20120402_121630.jpg

First wearing of the season for my Florsheim saddle shoes.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hello RBH
Tanks for your compliment. It's one of the first times i tried the tie-over-jacket-look, that Mario excellents in.
The jacket is a 1940's Richman Brother's jacket. Middle-brown with light over-check, half-lined, middle-weight-wool. Perfect for summer, i think.
Greetings
Marco

Marco, in case you don't know, Richman Bros. was a well-known outlet(s) here in the States; I've got two of their coats, one of which I believe was my father's. And welcome to the Lounge. We've got a few more of you here representing Germany.

Marco, in case you don't know, Richman Bros. was a well-known outlet(s) here in the States; I've got two of their coats, one of which I believe was my father's. And welcome to the Lounge. We've got a few more of you here representing Germany.

Richman Bros. must have been quite a chain of clothing stores. We had them here in Indiana as well. In fact it was posted on Facebook(local history)...that the store here went out of business in either 1958..or 1962 as others around the state.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24