Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Definitely keep the second one! It's as sharp as a razor!

Thanks I'll give it some thought. Its a great suit really.

Another one I'm debating on. Excellent, almost mint condition vintage 1980s Aquascutum Chesterfield coat. Double breasted, velvet collar, and lovely almost black herringbone tweed. If the sleeves where about 1" longer I'd keep it.

403334313.jpg

Edward

Bartender
The weekend just past saw the staging of the 2012 Chap Olympiad in Bedford Square Gardens. The Eighth Olympiad, and for the first time a two-day event.

Here I am on Saturday, captured in the middle stage of the Pipeathlon:

528951_445658758799966_2031956739_n.jpg

And assisting young Mai (Darhling) to victory in ironing board surfing:

532420_10150936928486850_1583329833_n.jpg

With the lady herself:

396719_10150936925511850_271289481_n.jpg

Good view of my trousers here, amidst receiving a pressing during Butler Racing:

391496_10150901813167260_1566140700_n.jpg

Marlowe Triumphant: I brought home the Gold for Saturday's event:

552542_10150913927141268_787790447_n.jpg

Alas, no full length photos of Sunday's attire have emerged yet, but I am assured there are some rather fetching pictures on the way...

553165_10151091251359048_5635531_n.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
Looking great, Edward! I love your blazer (but if I were you I'd get rid of that butler - from the looks of it, his idea of pressing seems to be something he picked up from the Spanish Inquisation, although I'm sure he could make money on it if he's willing to dress up in leather).

Edward

Bartender
Aha! Some more Sunday photos have cropped up!

553227_10151903992050300_544059741_n.jpg

Here I am being interviewed by a young lady doing some primary research a psychology-related research paper at one of the leading University of London colleges. Absolutely true story! The trousers are full length bags, but owing to inclement weather making the going rather muddy underfoot, I took full advantage of my hunting socks to keep trouser cuffs out of the dirt.

Edward

Bartender
Looking great, Edward! I love your blazer (but if I were you I'd get rid of that butler - from the looks of it, his idea of pressing seems to be something he picked up from the Spanish Inquisation, although I'm sure he could make money on it if he's willing to dress up in leather).

Well, quite. I got it for free. Normally one has to repair to an expensive young lady in Mayfair.

Flicka

One Too Many
I was now going to make an absolutely hilarious joke about nosegays, but then I realised that most people probably aren't in tune with how to signal one's preferences 18th century style. I'm sure Prinny would have got it, though (which is clearly a sign it wasn't in good taste).

Here I am being interviewed by a young lady doing some primary research a psychology-related research paper at one of the leading University of London colleges. Absolutely true story!

Did she make you take a Rorschach test? And if so, did you tell her that all blobs looked like pith helmets or handlebar moustaches to you?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Trying on some late 1950s suits today, debating about selling them.

Mid-1950s US suit by Scot Squire Delux, lightweight blue/black stripe:

403333445.jpg

Late 1950s/early 1960sBritish Burton "Mad Men-ish" suit, narrow lapels, heavy blue fabric. But very traditionally styled, button fly, forward pleats, suspender buttons no belt loops, etc. Almost mint condition like a new suit!

403333446.jpg

Keep them: they fit well and I think they look good on you.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Aha! Some more Sunday photos have cropped up!

Here I am being interviewed by a young lady doing some primary research a psychology-related research paper at one of the leading University of London colleges. Absolutely true story! The trousers are full length bags, but owing to inclement weather making the going rather muddy underfoot, I took full advantage of my hunting socks to keep trouser cuffs out of the dirt.

You know, considering that funds are very frequently short for me, I've considered trying this. Is there a trick to getting your trousers to blouse out so nicely?

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Today in the Mountains 3000m ( 9850 foot)
- Luftwaffe Tropical Cap
- Swiss Army Sweater
- Swedish Work Boots ( i prefer wool under this condition , but in the lowland is summer and i must back with the railway after this trip)
- Swedish Ski Shoes
- German Army Leggings against the snow
- Us Army WWI Ice Creepers for the Clacier

More Pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/Tiefengletscher?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Edward

Bartender
I noticed you in this as well Edward!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18770953

Ah, yes. I think that might be Japanese television to which I am talking at that point, behind young Tristan... I was interviewed by a wide range of media. Before my victory, this was... I think the cameras favour a fat man in vertical stripes. ;)

Tut, tut. This is a politics-free website![bad];)

Pfft. She's equally popular with both sides of the aisle - truly non-partisan!

Edward and Darhling you look like you were having too much fun! Excellent photos and outfits.

Thank-you, sir. Tremendous fun indeed. I highly recommend all Loungers think of coming next year. It's just good, clean (well, unless you're lucky... ;) ), silly fun. Sort of thing the English do very well, bless them.

I was now going to make an absolutely hilarious joke about nosegays, but then I realised that most people probably aren't in tune with how to signal one's preferences 18th century style. I'm sure Prinny would have got it, though (which is clearly a sign it wasn't in good taste).

Aha! There were indeed a number of nosegays on display yesterday, though I'm not aware of such symbolism. Are you talking the same sort of thing as bootlace colours / which ear you have pierced, that sort of thing?

Did she make you take a Rorschach test? And if so, did you tell her that all blobs looked like pith helmets or handlebar moustaches to you?

Fortunately not - I'd only have said "Some nice flowers" anyhow. ;) Actually, I'd love a set of vintage Rorschach cards framed on my office wall...

You know, considering that funds are very frequently short for me, I've considered trying this. Is there a trick to getting your trousers to blouse out so nicely?

All I did was wrap them round my ankle, then pull the socks up over them - as you would when putting your feet into welly boots, or RAF flying boots. Once the socks were pulled up, I just pulled the trousers back up a bit until they bloused over sufficiently both for freedom of movement and, more importantly, the right look. To be honest, for years I believed that golf knickers were just trousers tucked in like that! These particular trews are the HeyDay Gallipoli model: http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/defau...trousers/mens-really-wide-trousers-brown.html They are especially wide in the leg, which is a big plus when you want that sort of voluminous blousing over a sock top.

Keep them: they fit well and I think they look good on you.

Agreed!

Flicka

One Too Many
Today in the Mountains 3000m ( 9850 foot)
- Luftwaffe Tropical Cap
- Swiss Army Sweater
- Swedish Work Boots ( i prefer wool under this condition , but in the lowland is summer and i must back with the railway after this trip)
- Swedish Ski Shoes
- German Army Leggings against the snow
- Us Army WWI Ice Creepers for the Clacier

More Pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/VEREINBRO/Tiefengletscher?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Your outfits are always perfect, like a slice of time travel. Question: is that a backpack? In that case, what kind? I've been looking for one just like it (used to have an old Swedish military model just like that).

Aha! There were indeed a number of nosegays on display yesterday, though I'm not aware of such symbolism. Are you talking the same sort of thing as bootlace colours / which ear you have pierced, that sort of thing?

On a girl, it's the truly vintage (as in pre-1800) alternative to a black hanky if you are familiar with that code... The bigger the better, basically.

Last edited:

MB15

New in Town
Hello gijoe(Grüeziwohl, if i wrote that correctly)
I agree with flicka. You always look very good in your outfits. I think, that's also because you got a very manly face and body. One can see that you're a Do-it-Yourself-Guy. I like that very much.
Greetings
Marco

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
1950s Oxxford tweed suit with a subtle red overcheck, 1930s tie, and a tweed Retrosport casquette!

The jacket is a little long for my tastes (its a 44L I think). But I do love tweed!

403341079.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Your outfits are always perfect, like a slice of time travel. Question: is that a backpack? In that case, what kind? I've been looking for one just like it (used to have an old Swedish military model just like that).

On a girl, it's the truly vintage (as in pre-1800) alternative to a black hanky if you are familiar with that code... The bigger the better, basically.

I'm not, but I can guess. ;)

1950s Oxxford tweed suit with a subtle red overcheck, 1930s tie, and a tweed Retrosport casquette!

The jacket is a little long for my tastes (its a 44L I think). But I do love tweed!

403341079.jpg

Looks great. As long as the jacket passes the fingertip test, they'll still let you in the dance hall. ;)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
This wasn't today, it was actually a week ago. I when to see my family for the 4th of July and here is what I was wearing. I got quite a few you look like you belong in Mad Men type comments. (I just got home so that is why it took so long to post.
July212017.jpg

July212011.jpg

July212013.jpg

and a close up of the fabric
July212019.jpg

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Question: is that a backpack? In that case, what kind? I've been looking for one just like it (used to have an old Swedish military model just like that).
Thanks for comment. The Backback is a swedish, i use them since years under hdd conditions. The only problem the leather stains a bit the clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo