Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

gfish

New in Town
I'm more into generic/classic workwear than authentic vintage at the best of times, much less when getting explicitly costume-y, but it's a fun picture so I thought I'd share.

DSC_0225 by Xymon, on Flickr

I took my railroad-style handcar out in the Fremont Solstice Parade on Saturday, which called for a fanciful/steampunkish but still functional workwear look. The outfit works better with my LastWear steeplejacks, but it was warm enough that I wanted a bit more ventilation for pumping that beast 1.5 miles! So I went with the black Utilikilt, Duluth workshirt and the same derby I wear most days. It handled 2 hours of heavy exertion on a fairly (for Seattle) humid day quite well!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
At a small Carshow in Tracy, CA. I was standing next to my Grandpa's '48 Plymouth when my dad snapped this pic.

carsho11.jpg

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
Absolutely horrid pictures of me this past weekend (my daughter took the full length one when I wasn't paying attention), but I love this 40s dress, so I'm posting them anyway :p

0615121846b-1.jpg

Resampled_2012-06-15_18-49-51_562.jpg

Rue, I just don't think you could take a bad picture!
The dress is really lovely!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gfish - It recently has been, until yesterday, oddly humid for Seattle. Maybe more correctly - some heavy air / muggy weather beyond the norm. But as everyone here says, "That's Junetober in Seattle!"

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
grayblack.jpg

Sorry for the slightly blurry pic; autofocus didn't seem to be working well today. It's hard to tell but I tied my tie with the Ediety knot, also known as the merovingian, just for kicks. The jury is still out on it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I promised my dear friend, Gin&Tonics, a photograph of this. So here goes.

Dad and I are going out for dinner and the theater tonight. So I'm wearing this:

IMG_1390.jpg

Plus the black trenchcoat on top, because it's only like 5 degrees above freezing tonight:

IMG_1391.jpg

Not shown in the photograph are my black leather shoes, and black kid gloves.

Oh, and I really like the tie. Here's a closeup of it:

IMG_1395.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Danny! Much appreciated. The fob in the middle is a coin. It's a gold-plated Australian 50c. coin commemorating the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth back in 1977. I don't have a diamond jubilee coin, so that will have to do!

rue

I promised my dear friend, Gin&Tonics, a photograph of this. So here goes.

Dad and I are going out for dinner and the theater tonight. So I'm wearing this:

IMG_1390.jpg

Plus the black trenchcoat on top, because it's only like 5 degrees above freezing tonight:

IMG_1391.jpg

Not shown in the photograph are my black leather shoes, and black kid gloves.

Oh, and I really like the tie. Here's a closeup of it:

IMG_1395.jpg

Well done Shangas!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Rue, as ever, your feedback is invaluable and treasured!

In reply to Daniel, yes I might, one day! As for the watch, the one in my pocket right now is from the 1950s, so that's close enough!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Bravo, Shangas! Absolutely fantastic! The tie is absolutely perfect; it even has a bit of understated whimsy that really sets off the whole ensemble. That jacket and waistcoat are pure gold. I like how you've put together the black trousers, hat and overcoat with the pale blue jacket and waistcoat; I wouldn't have thought that black and blue would work together, but with that shade it's perfect. Even the coloured flecks in your shirt pick up the primary colours of the tie! I am highly impressed! I have a similar homburg to yours.

My only tiny points would be to suggest that you button your collar button and snug up the tie for a sharper, more refined look (although it is admittedly a personal choice if you prefer to have the open collar button) and if you had one, a complementary pocket square would add even more panache to an already outstanding ensemble.

Very well done, sir!

Daniel and Rue, thank you so much for your kind words! In this case I should have puffed the pocket square rather than going with a one-point-up fold, so as to show more of it and set off the tie further.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Shangas and I apparently switched fashions for a day

You pulled off that suit nicely, Shangas! Like those protestors on Saville Row said, "give three-piece a chance," you may learn to like a nice jacket with your wonderful variety of waistcoats.

Before I even got on the Lounge this past morning, I'd made up my mind to build an outfit around my favorite vest. No idea of its age, but medium-old, likely '50s, paired with a similarly aged pair of trousers, a vintage silk tie, and a modern shirt. A good getup for a relaxed, yet sharp and productive day at home.

06-19-12_PastInspiration_img2.JPG

Cue some stargazing song like "Stardust" or "Blue Moon." ♫♪♫

So have no fear, my Australian friend, someone was carrying on the vest fashion for the day! :D

-Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot