Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

fathergoose

New in Town
Another from last night.
DSC09322.jpg

And today. 1951 Australian army pants. Striped shirt. 1967 Canadian peacoat.
DSC09354.jpg
I have tried on every peacoat I've ever come across here in The Empire. Cheap ones, expensive ones, vintage, repros, tight, loose and big enough for two or more stevedores.
But I looked, as my wife Haruka suggested, as if I'd stolen them off a clothesline on my way out of a prison camp. Some are born to wear peacoats, and others to admire those born to wear peacoats.

fathergoose

New in Town
Have those trousers generously cuffed and you'll have a nice everyday substitute for a 20's suit. :eusa_clap

John Lennon has a decidedly 1930's look in Magical Mystery Tour, and, of course, a 1940's do and suit in How I Won the War. But Bonnie and Clyde and, a little later, The Sting really did have an impact on men's fashion, didn't they. How often does that kind of thing turn up on EBay, I wonder.

mattface

Practically Family
Todays look I call Dustbowl farmer goes to town. I was challenged over on Dappered Threads to attempt the much maligned and misunderstood "Texas Tuxedo", and you know me, I hate the idea that there are any sacred cows in fashion. I love the Beau Brummell tie, but it's sort of challenging to wear with modern clothes since it coems from a time when pants were worn up around the belly button.

Dappered Challenge - Blue Jeans by mattface, on Flickr

Today we'll start from the bottom:
  • 1950s Vintage brown Mason Velvet Tongue work boots
  • Gustin #22 Classic Japanese Selvedge
  • Levis floral western shirt
  • 1930s-40s Vintage Beau Brummell Tie
  • Levis Made in USA vintage Trucker
  • 1940s Vintage Stetson Royal

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This was for a wedding last weekend:

Wedding-1_zps51b45ebe.jpg

Tootal tie and Victorian tie pin.

Wedding-2_zps23f1448c.jpg

Jacket and waistcoat, formerly owned by a Bavarian politician (1950s?). These came to me from Fastuni.

Wedding-3_zps87424e7c.jpg

Homburg from Bates, trousers are dated 1950, by a tailors in Sackville Street, London. Pocket handkerchief by Peckham Rye.

Wedding-4_zps20fa9e80.jpg

With Lady MacBeth.

Before anyone says anything: I know the 'rules' say that a only white pocket handkerchief should be worn with formal wear (and a stiff collar etc etc). But I like the outfit and it was me wearing it, not 'the rules'. SO THERE!!!!

Workin' on it, but you can expect a lot of exclamation!, dubious facts and vague threats, exhortations to mothers and grandmothers, second rate pseudo-endorsements, and certainly a preponderance of excruciatingly tiny pipes …

Apparently defenestration and/or enucleation will be a large part of the experience …

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@TwoTypes

Perfect! You look absolutely terrific in this Stroller ensemble!
Very well done, everything fits - including the touch of color. Good contrast to the grey tie.
If the tie had been "colorful" a white handkerchief would have been called for.

Yes I think the jacket and waistcoat are 50's - but obviously very classical and conservative (appropriate for Bavaria and England. ;)).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24