Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hotdog, @GHT!! That's one sharp outfit!
So many kind compliments, grateful thanks.
This shirt depicts all the Art Deco styles of the era, it gets so many remarks and compliments. My wife bought it in an end of the roll sale. There was a generous oddment left after she made the shirt, seeing one of my bow ties, looking unloved and frayed, she carefully unpicked the stitching, retained the lining stiffener, used the old tie as a template and made me a unique bow tie from the shirt oddment, how I love it.
shirts 145.JPG hats 068.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At present, we have strict rules about going out. It's known as: 'Lockdown,' but I prefer the term: House arrest. We need some grocery and other provisions so we ventured out today. The rules don't say that you have to dress down, nor do they say you have to drive a modern car. We got lots of compliments, and so did our lovely old MG:
Christchurch quay 006.JPG Christchurch quay 002.JPG

At present, we have strict rules about going out. It's known as: 'Lockdown,' but I prefer the term: House arrest. We need some grocery and other provisions so we ventured out today. The rules don't say that you have to dress down, nor do they say you have to drive a modern car. We got lots of compliments, and so did our lovely old MG:
View attachment 232514 View attachment 232513
Going to the store is an event nowadays. I always dress up. I salute you and your lovely wife. And of course, I am in love with the MG anytime I see it.

Day 3 of 31: Beginning a series of European hats for a week. I have more than that so I'll have to be selective. Today is a German Homburg made by Mayser Milz. It is a very dark navy blue, almost black. The finish is not quite velour, feels soft and supple. The Homburg is a style that will continue to be produced even today, class never goes out of style. My connection with the Netherlands, Stefan Steur sent me this one a couple of months ago. Wonderful hats these, German construction of the 1980s (possible dating on this one) is far, far superior to our current productions.

3May20 Mayser Milz side 550x.jpg
3May20 Mayser Milz liner 550x.jpg
3May20 Mayser Milz sweat 550x.jpg
3May20 Mayser Milz side 600x.jpg
3May20 Mayser Milz brim 570x.jpg
3May20 Mayser Milz brim 550x.jpg

My sad story; I am wearing today the same thing I wore yesterday and the day before....my hoodie and sweat pants. I ventured out for groceries yesterday and just added my sandals. Maybe when this lockdown is over I will actually get dressed up.

Day 4 of 31 hat parade. Keeping with a European theme, I take us to the British Isles. This Penn Craft from the early 1960s is an example of what hat collectors call a "stingy". Hats with brims less than 2" became very popular during this era. Think Mad Men or the Rat Pack! The Penn Craft brand goes back to the 1930s in the US. Stetson owned the name and sold it for production in the UK.
31Mar18 Penn Craft front.jpg
31Mar18 Penn Craft side.jpg
12Sep18 Penn Craft logo 400x.jpg
28Oct18 Penn Craft Liner 450x.jpg

My sad story; I am wearing today the same thing I wore yesterday and the day before....my hoodie and sweat pants. I ventured out for groceries yesterday and just added my sandals. Maybe when this lockdown is over I will actually get dressed up.
Going out to the grocery store has become such an event that I dress in a suit and my best hat to go into the wasteland. The kid at Safeway looks for my outfits. He was confused when I went in there in jeans and a t-shirt the other day!

Going out to the grocery store has become such an event that I dress in a suit and my best hat to go into the wasteland. The kid at Safeway looks for my outfits. He was confused when I went in there in jeans and a t-shirt the other day!
I am thinking if the weather were warmer I could go nude....wearing the mask gives me high degree of invisibility ...well or at least anonymity.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Keep the hats coming Red, looking good my friend. Today would have been a huge street celebration at Poole Quay to mark the surrender of Nazi Germany, a day that we now call VE, or Victory in Europe, day. Poole was one of the many ports that the Allied soldiers embarked from, for what became known as The D Day Landings. So much time, effort and money had been invested over the last fifteen months or so, planning of this event, then in March it was realised just how serious the corona virus is and, regrettably, the party was cancelled.

I have been texting the friends that would have been going to those celebrations, all of them are doing much the same as Tina & I, getting dressed up and partying in their gardens. So, what to wear? I thought of wearing the suit that is a replica of my Dad's demob suit, but Tina said it was a bit staid for partying. Staid? Me? Well let her call this suit staid. (Only joking dear.)

zoot suit riot.jpg

Edward

Bartender
By guessing the year, do you mean the style, or the actual suit? The style is classic, just so late 40's, the lapels were much wider in the 30's. There is no turned up cuff on the hems of the trousers so I'm guessing that the suit is modern, made to measure maybe.

Without seeing the original photo, a lack of turnups could indicate wartime production, of course, but reading between thye lines of your description I'd hazard a guess at a 1970s 'Classic' (rahter than 'Fashion') suit.

The Homburg is a style that will continue to be produced even today, class never goes out of style.

Lovely hat. Interestingly, I think it's the hip hop kids have done a lot to help keep the Homburg alive. I find them a wonderful hat - easily as wearable across a range of dress up / down as a fedora. (Notably, much before the thirties, the Homburg was a much more commonly seen hat across Britain and Ireland than the fedora; the latter gained popularity, likely mostly via Hollywood, from the early 30s onwards, in parallel to the beginning of the hatless trend over here.) They're also a great 'first vintage hat' because they're so widely available and affordable; I have four or five in lovely condition and I've never spent more than about twenty quid on one. Compared to a similar-condition fedora from the same period.... Grey or black, anyhow. Brown and other colours are rare indeed, it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk