Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I just scored these outrageous trousers on Ebay:

2722375730102775237S500x500Q85.jpg

Pure 1970s. Daks, 100% wool, flat front, tight to the hips, no belt loops, definitely look flared when you wear them. Golf trousers? That was the seller's surmise. Perfect shape; seem to have been hardly worn.

I wore them on Saturday for the first time with a medium blue shirt (open collar), Burberry double-breasted navy blazer, navy socks, and AE Pembrooke tan split-toe tassel mocs. Got lots of admiring comments; felt like a 70s mogul going to a weekend cocktail party on a deck overlooking a body of water.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
It is quite autumnal today, and the oufit reflects that. Polo brown cords with mallards and pheasants (bought yesterday for $28.00 at the Polo store at the outlet mall in Oshkosh); light denim button-down shirt (Old Navy); Pendleton brown houndstooth zipper jacket (picked up for $75.00 at Pendleton store at same outlet mall a few weeks ago); vintage brown Donegal tweed cap from T. Gillespie of Ireland (Ebay); dark brown socks (Jos. Bank); AE Pembrooke tan split-toe tassel mocs (Ebay); Lorus watch with tan band (new; Ebay).

The whole get-up looks like New England money, yet cost under $300.00 all told.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
carter said:
Dinerman, I believe those are your battledress trousers from OZ. Please tell us about the shirt.
You got it- been wearing them a lot- they're extremely comfortable, warm, and the thigh pocket is perfect for my camera.
I got the shirt at the Bass shoe outlet a little over a year ago. I like the cut, but after a few washings, the sleeves shrunk a good four or five inches, so its sleeves are perpetually rolled up.

Weather today wasn't bad, it's close to 60 degrees now, but some days its down to thirty or so.

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Carter-- thanks for the thumbs up! Yeah, the hat's a bit floppy-- not a whole lot to be done about it. About the instruments: The guitar was a gift from my uncle. Unfortunately, it lives there in the corner most of the time. The mandolin shaped instrument is actually an old unmarked ukulele, as are the other instruments hanging up. These are my regular players. I love old Tin Pan Alley music, so the uke just seemed like the natural choice for me!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Griemersma said:
Carter-- thanks for the thumbs up! Yeah, the hat's a bit floppy-- not a whole lot to be done about it. About the instruments: The guitar was a gift from my uncle. Unfortunately, it lives there in the corner most of the time. The mandolin shaped instrument is actually an old unmarked ukulele, as are the other instruments hanging up. These are my regular players. I love old Tin Pan Alley music, so the uke just seemed like the natural choice for me!

Since the hat is floppy, try shaping it so it falls a bit to one or both sides. Your wife might like that look better. Take a look at some of the Cap threads in the Hats forum.

WOW. Another ukulele player. Maybe you and Craig Robertson should get together sometime at a FL event. Do you have anything on YouTube or another online site?

Dinerman, Looking Good! Thanks for the weathr report! :)

anglophile

One of the Regulars
last night-
black homburg-Miller hats
John H Daniel-midnight blue MTM 3 piece dinner jacket
Hanauer black faille bow tie
Charles Tyrwhitt marcella front shirt-turndown collar
white silk scarf-JAB
MOP cufflinks-Kent Wang
white Linen ps-Kent Wang
Pantherella socks
BB patent leather opera pumps
Albert Thurston black formal braces

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
:eusa_doh: I thought that might be incorrect but couldn't think Covertly. [huh]

No biggie. Chesterfields and covert coats both usually have the velvet collar. A covert coat is made from that twill fabric, usually tan in color, and has swelled edges and several rows of stitching around the cuffs and hem.

A Chesterfield is usually black, navy, or charcoal, with a fly front and without the swelled edges, etc.

I may be mistaken, but I believe covert coats are often shorter than Chesterfields as well.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, and yes it is a covert coat from J. Peterman. When it gets colder I'll pull out the double breasted Chesterfield. (I'm a sucker for a velvet collar!)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orgetorix said:
Aren't you glad to be in a part of the country now where the weather actually allows you to wear coats? ;)

That is one of the unquestionable benefits. I've got a ton of jackets and coats. I've also delved into my sweater box, too. You wouldn't believe how much fall/winter wear I've built up over the past couple of years that I haven't really been able to wear. The good thing is almost all of it was thrifted.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Slim Portly said:
Charcoal pinstripe suit, purple shirt, purple/silver/blue geometic patterned tie, silver and black enamel cufflinks, silver double Albert chain with 1891 thruppence fob, sleeve garters, grey Broner Lite Felt fedora, white cotton hanky, ugly boring black shoes.

DSC04232-web.jpg

Slim, I'm digging the chain, but out of curiosity, what's on it? I'd assume a watch on one end; how about the other side?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
WildCelt said:
Slim, I'm digging the chain, but out of curiosity, what's on it? I'd assume a watch on one end; how about the other side?
Thank you, sir. When I wear a gold chain I tend to wear a watch on the left side and a sovereign holder on the right. With a silver chain I usually, as in this case, wear a vesta holder on the right. One advantage of hardly ever having need for either a vesta or a sovereign is that I can bow to my over-inflated sense of style and wear whichever one goes best with my ensemble, practicality be damned.

The vesta holder is silver plated, and of British origin. At approximately 100 years old, it is, much like its current owner, quite well preserved and functioning amazingly well for its age.

DSC04044-CROP.jpg

DSC04043-CROP.jpg

Edward

Bartender
An age since I posted in here...Fairly casual today:

- basic DM shoes (black)
- RAF No 1 Dress uniform trousers (fairly modern but still with a traditional cut and high waist - bought them on eBay for a song. Keep slipping down as I've not yet had a chance to sew in braces buttons, and they come without beltloops).
- black contemporary dress shirt, from Next. Wide splayed, fullt cut collar - not my favourite, but grand with a cravat - and French cuffs. Wearing gold cufflinks which belonged to my Grandfather. Rectangular, diamond-engraved pattern. Possibly 50s or 60s?
- 1960s Tootal cravat - navy blue with very fine polka dots in white.
- Aero repro AN6552 (though if this cold snap keeps up, I'll be into the B3 before the weekend).
- Akubra Regular Federation Mk III, tight pinch and diamond bash, Carbon Grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy