Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Maybe he's obsessive-compulsive, and the detailed descriptions of everything are part of his neuroses?

Or maybe use each of these scenes to introduce a different character--call it "the League of Well-Dressed Gentlemen?"lol

The other thing would be, once you hit your cut-point to post it, copy/paste your post into a Word document and just free-write--just let your mind wander, and see what adventures it takes you on! Take a look at the old "WONK: Chaos Reigns Players" thread for an example of it in action...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
I think that a novel about a man who stops every three paragraphs to describe what he's wearing might have a very limited potential audience. :)

But still, I'm glad you like what I write here.

I agree, but if you transfer the style and tone, and just fill in other parts with the same attention to detail, just more important details that could advance a plot, you could really have something.

Edward

Bartender
Just before I left the house yesterday morning:

CopyofUploaded22April2010016.jpg

A dead washer-dryer machine has put a serious spanner in the works of my laundry, so I've been forced to improvise. This has been a fairly common look for me this week as I am in possession of a clatter of short-sleeved shirts with a bit of a rockabilly vibe to them (my casual default over a t-shirt in Summer now) which are laundered, as opposed to my dress shirts which aren't!

Shoes:

CopyofUploaded22April2010017.jpg

These are particular favourites I had made by a craftsman in Beijing. He took two measurements (round the balls of my feet, and further up) and drew round my socked feet, and two weeks later this miracle in leather arrived. Right from the off the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. He had a few pairs in the shop in this colour scheme; I opted for this as I liked it immediately and it's not one I've seen anywhere else. If going custom, why opt for something I could have bought at home? Really, if I had the time and cash, I'd have all my shoes made by this guy. FWIW, these handmade beauties cost me the same as a pair from Rocket Originals, and a touch less than Loakes, of which they are at least the equivalent. They'd have only been 2/3 the price had the pound not nosedived against the RMB (and every other currency on the planet, it seems...).

This photo was taken at the end of the night, with rockabilly legend Wanda Jackson... the Lady can still scream up a storm...

Uploaded22April2010026.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Easter Sunday morning (just found these on the camera)... a couple of poor self-takies.

Top - woven silk bow-tie, white polka dots on black. A few quid on eBay new (from China, if memory serves) - very pleased with it, not one of those 70s-style, ridiculously oversized affairs that crop up so commonly. Shirt is a club-collared item from the Saville Row Shirt company (unfortunately the collar is twisted in the photo... bah). Blazer by Marks and Spencer. Trousers, not visible, are a charcoal grey, heavy wool cloth, probably 1950s, cuffs and held up with braces, good high waist (early fifties style, not thirties high). Shoes were wingtip-pattern co-respondent brogues in black and white. Hat is an Akubra Federation MkIII, Regualr model, in Carbon grey.

Uploaded22April2010005.jpg

Uploaded22April2010006.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Er...6'1" last time I looked, but the sheer weight of life resting on my shoulders may have shortend me a bit over the years... ;) :D
Hmmm...come to think of it...not really. That's why I usually will have to let out the cuffs on my pants. :rolleyes:

There is a nice little scene in The Man Who Knew Too Much where Jimmy Stewart is having a few troubles in a restaurant due to his long legs while Doris Day is trying hard not to laugh...

Jimmy-Stewart's-Long-Legs.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
SlimP, GOD I love this story! Who knew there was a golden era (screen)writer deep inside of you... Thanks Sir.

Slim Portly said:
It was their anniversary, but unless he stopped to do the math in his head the number of years eluded him. No matter; it was the date that was important. He held in his hand a Ronson "Princess" lighter with her name inscribed on the front. He'd seen the look on her face when she discovered the little amber colored lighter in the department store. When he inquired the next day, they had informed him that engraving came free with the purchase. He ran his thumb over the metal surface of the silver art deco insert and felt the letters that spelled out the name of the only woman that he'd ever loved.

He'd kept his afternoon free of clients so that he could come home early to prepare for the evening. He'd made the same meal as that first night so many years ago. He'd lit the candles. He'd played the music that he knew was her favorite. Dinner was over and now it was late. The candles sputtered low in their holders, and he was dressed for the quiet evening to come. The three-piece double breasted blue suit that he wore on this date every year was now hanging in the closet, replaced by a similarly colored pair of pajamas: navy with a discreet diamond pattern and white piping. The maroon wingtips were tucked under the bed and his feet were now comfortable in a pair of navy house slippers. The navy socks were in the hamper, the silver cufflinks had been returned to the old cigar box, and the red brocade necktie hung with its fellows. Tied with a sash about his waist was his maroon silk dressing robe. The grey Jaxson fedora he'd worn during the day hung by a hook over the closet door, and he now wore a black wool derby to keep the evening chill off of his head.

She was long gone, lo these many years, but tradition is tradition and a date is a date, and he kept this one every year. It was only after she had packed and gone that he had found the old lighter hiding in a pocket of the blue suit. Looking at her name engraved on the lighter, he tipped his glass, the first of what would be many this night, and he spoke the words that he always spoke: "Here's to you, princess. I hope you found whatever it was that you went looking for."

IMG_0164crop.jpg

IMG_0163crop.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
I went for a long (roughly 6 hours) walk, it was a hot day here in Ireland, but i have no car so i have to make do. I got a second hand jacket and shirt from some folks in clare in a van and thats basically what i've got here. Nothing special, but i'm not trying to stand out more than i do already.

DSCF2394.jpg

DSCF2383.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
Mario said:
Just out of curiosity: Are you in Galway? Clare? A couple of days ago you posted another photo and I thought it looked like the Burren.
I was. Now I'm in Limerick around familiar territory. I forgot to mention- the jacket and shirt cost me 10 euro.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Edward said:
Easter Sunday morning (just found these on the camera)... a couple of poor self-takies.

Top - woven silk bow-tie, white polka dots on black. A few quid on eBay new (from China, if memory serves) - very pleased with it, not one of those 70s-style, ridiculously oversized affairs that crop up so commonly. Shirt is a club-collared item from the Saville Row Shirt company (unfortunately the collar is twisted in the photo... bah). Blazer by Marks and Spencer. Trousers, not visible, are a charcoal grey, heavy wool cloth, probably 1950s, cuffs and held up with braces, good high waist (early fifties style, not thirties high). Shoes were wingtip-pattern co-respondent brogues in black and white. Hat is an Akubra Federation MkIII, Regualr model, in Carbon grey.

Uploaded22April2010005.jpg

Uploaded22April2010006.jpg

I love that bow tie, Edward.

A

Edward

Bartender
AntonAAK said:
I love that bow tie, Edward.

A

Thanks, it's become something of a favourite. The silk is of a courser weave than the average silk bow tie, which gives it a bit more 'body', a bit stiffer. Somewhere between a standard silk bow and a marcella cotton white tie, meaning it's easily tied and holds its shape pretty well all day. When the slush fund allows, I plan to hunt out a few more like it in various hues. Outside of formal and semi-formal evening dress, I'm a relatively recent convert to the bow tie, maybe only ten months ago or so.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Had you noticed that they've started selling self tie bow ties and cravats in Tie Rack recently?

When you see stuff like that on the high street it's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
AntonAAK said:
Had you noticed that they've started selling self tie bow ties and cravats in Tie Rack recently?

When you see stuff like that on the high street it's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I got a couple self-tie bows from Tie Rack when the Leeds store closed down last year. They are not favourites I'm afraid, the fabric frays very easily, but they get worn from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran