What are your 2019 leather jacket buying plans or aspirations?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Colin G, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I know it’s a popular style but I never cared for the huge cargo pockets and the oversized fit. I loved the movies and that character but I always thought, even as a kid, Kurt Russel looked like more a bad ass in EFNY. Which was a horrible movie really. But his jacket was way cooler.
    Indy looked more the role like this:
    1194739D-DC75-44AD-9E15-F0871C6027F6.jpeg

2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

The jacket doesn't fit him the way I'd want any of my jackets to fit, that goes without saying but somehow, it all just works so well. He's the coolest movie guy ever. But then again, that's Harrison Ford. That's why the jacket works.

Also, honestly, if I was in Indy's line of work, I'd want that exact same jacket. Provided I was somehow cursed with wearing leather in a desert climate. Roomy fit with that semi-action back for comfort and two huge pockets for all the archeological stuff. Perfect!

Kurt Russell wore some cool jackets but IMO he achieved the impossible in that crummy old Schott by making it look like the coolest movie jacket ever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I wouldn't expect Aero would agree to do an Indy; they made a couple of trial models at the tail end of the Lauder years, but Ken put the kabosh on that pretty quicxk as he didn't want to do a film-repro jacket of that ilk. Depending on how accurate you want it - i.e. do you want an Indy jacket that is reasonably screen accurate, or do you want something in that general vein? - I'd consider an Aero Royale, or possibly something like a HWM without storm cuffs and with A2 patch pockets in place of the handwarmers.

I would tendc to agree. I think that was the problem with the Aero prototypes, rerally - they were cxl. In time it wilol drape right, but it's going to take quite some time before it gets there. I do think the drape is a big part of the jacket's appeal, in a stiff hide it's just won't look right. I have a goat Wested Raiders I use for warm-weather leather and travel (places where I need a light jacket but it's not the end of the world if it gets lost or stolen). Very practical. Considered the Hero model, but having read into the details of that, I'd rather have the basic model which is a better fit on me than the Hero would be than a jackert which looks totally screen accurate only if you're built like a 40 year old Harrison Ford.

Yeah, the bi-swing shoulders and the slight vents at the hem were cut to make the jacket sit better over the gunbelt, and make the whip both more accessible and easier to wield. I'm kinda glad that they moved away from the look of the A2 as well; for my money, while we can all pick holes in its historical accuracy, the Indy jacket looks far better even now than would have the kind of repro A2 they'd have used in 1980.

What fan bases tend to forget - and I've seen similar in so many of them - is that even costumiers working on highly successful films in the early eighties and before, well.... to them it was just another job, in the same way as to half the cast in the same films it's not a hobby into which they will pour endless time, love, money and attention/obsession, but a few weeks' work and a paycheck at the end. Ask them decades later about some really minor point, and, well.... they could be forgiven for doing a Shatner for real. I'm sure a lot of the time folks just repeat what they think they remember, or what they've heard back from the fans that they had done, rather than disappoint their audience. Seen it happen.

Which was rather the point, though I suspect Spielberg preferred the term homage.

We don't have much call for the whip-movement in these parts.

Heh. I'm in the other camp; it was Indy that made brown leather - and by association flying jackets I had previously considered naff - credible to me. If I'd never seen Indy and only Top Gun, I doubt you'd have gotten me within ten feet of a brown leather flying jacket.

Sloan1874 likes this.
  4. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Kurt Russell has an iconic look in John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing." I'm also fond of his beater leather jacket from John Carpenter's "Escape" movies...
    [​IMG]

sweetfights and Monitor like this.
  5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think many people are aware of that, Edward. My point was simply don't accept the word of experts or people who 'were there' as they may be unreliable historians, for whatever reason. And for a costumer curating an exhibition, I think the fairly obvious 'mistakes' are highly amusing and revealing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Edward likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

For some years I've been wanting a copy of this Sears made in a light/medium weight horsehide, without the belt.

But I could probably just get an Aero long Herc with adjustments, like no pocket flaps.

Sears Hercules.JPG

Aero Hercules.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    steve u, ton312 and Edward like this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Aaand incoming Lost Worlds leather vest. That one from the Deals thread. . .

El Marro, dubpynchon, Guppy and 3 others like this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

The jacket from the first film is great. I love both films, but the second, ...LA, suffers a little bit from bigger budget / over-stylised to my eye (much like the second and third Mad Max films). I much prefer Snake looking rough-edged like in the first one.

Interesting how much the distressing plays in the look of that jacket, too - Wested do a version of it, but in their pictures with it in the smoothe, one-colour/tone goat, it just looks all sorts of wrong.

Bushman and sweetfights like this.
  9. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

There's only one more possible jacket on my scope for this year, and it'll be from Goldtop.

Because any jacket I get now will need to pass muster for riding, and I'm a massive ponce so I want armour, Goldtop offers the perfect combo of designs, safety and custom options.

I've got my eye on two from their range; the 1959, and the Lancer. And I'll be heading to Goldtop in person to try both on and decide what suits me best. But that'll be in a few weeks once I've flipped a few other jackets and freed up the dough.

I'll also be able to discuss custom colour options with them, as they've suggested in my conversations with them that they might be able to make a jacket in any of the colour options that are already available in their line of gloves.

I very much like their oiled cognac cowhide.

10. Edward

Edward Bartender

The new navy gloves would look interesting in a jacket too. They do seem to be the only company I've seen so far to combine such a 50s / into the 60s retro design wioth the armour. Surprises me more companies aren't gonig there given the huge success of the whole retro bike style in recent years.

barnabus likes this.
  11. barnabus

Definitely. Although ridiculously, I'm only about 5 months into my Richa Daytona riding jacket which I adore and wear daily without even sparing it a thought. Why am I looking for another riding jacket? You tell me.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

But you need other colours, right? Frankly, half the reason I want a bike is for the sake of all the outfits! ;)

JMax likes this.
  13. JMax

JMax Call Me a Cab

I just have to add that if not for the fact that I ride, I would rarely if ever wear my jackets. Crazy, but part of the reason I want to move out of south Florida is to go someplace with better jacket weather. I am thinking NC, VA or back to Colorado.

Edward and El Marro like this.
  14. barnabus

I just parked up outside Aldi to buy some groceries, and a bloke immediately started up a conversation about bikes (as often seems to happen the moment I get off), during which he commented how nice my jacket was and how well it complemented the bike, because of the retro vibe.

Astonishing that a cheapo riding jacket covered in flies can nonetheless draw nice comments.

But yes, I DO want other colours.

15. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Careful here, because you start thinking that you need different bikes in different colours to better complement your jacket collection... variety is indeed important :D

16. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I could not agree more. I loved Top Gun when it came out and I think I saw it three or four times in the theater. But the ensuing craze of oversized and over-patched Top Gun themed G-1 jackets scared me away from that style for a good 30 years.

17. Edward

Edward Bartender

I think a lot of people are really starting to appreciate the classic look with bike gear; even subcinsciously, I think mosdt folks are bored of the 'Power Ranger covered in logos' look that was so dominant for so long. (I know there are plenty of bike jackets I liked the generasl style of, but will never buy because I hate the logos.)

Oh, I already have a list of all the bikes I would buy if I won the Lotto (Mutt 250cc, Black Douglas, Triumph Bonneville, Royal Enfield C500, and some American-40s/50s-style but not necesarily made bobber-custom-flatracer type). Definitely there would be outfits appropriate to each....

Ha, I hated the film from the off, which is probably why I hated the overpatched look. Interesting it put you off when you actually liked the film!

El Marro and red devil like this.
  18. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Some of you may remember the Aero Elvis I got, turned out to be not such a nice fit so I sent it back opting for the alteration option for 100 pounds. But ever since they acknowledged receipt of my return, there been no word from Denny. It’s been almost a month. I guess they are on summer hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

I dont know about denny, but I emailed back and forth with holly and christine last week. Very prompt responses to my questions.

20. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

I did a return (for a trade in) a couple of weeks ago and it was Christine who got back to me. You might as well try and email her ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk