Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your 2019 leather jacket buying plans or aspirations?

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
@Colin G Good luck and wish you all the best for 2020! Going back to school sounds like fun. I always had that dream of going back to do a PhD in math or philosophy, that plan had been procrastinated for over 20 years, LOL.

As for jackets, I did not stick to my plans. I wanted to buy one, but ended with nothing. Ordered one for the wife though, and still waiting for it.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
So, let's hear it. How did your 2019 shake out?

Besides from all the unrests around the world, 2019 was an uneventful year, at least on a more personal level. As my job is not exactly very secured, I am rather reluctant to spend big on jackets as well as other non-essential items.... and yet I still ended up with some new jackets and some bargain Chippewa boots.

I spent more than half of my (middle age) life in the uni and I can tell you how I am missing all those days. Good luck with your degree mate!

Jan 11, 2019....
When my antiqued tan buffalo cross button Thedi arrives I will be down to four top tier leather jackets. The Vintage black Aero Stuart, Brown CXL zip sleeve Aero Bootlegger, and Aero battered Tan HH Teamster. This is not including my Harley Davidson 100th Ann., and Vanson + Schott riding jackets (Gulp). My buying plans are now done. Seriously..!!
HD

The black HH Stuart and zip sleeve brown HH Bootlegger were sold and replaced with a washed gray Thedi cross zip shortly after receiving my tan buff Thedi.

I now have the battered tan HH Teamster, washed tan buffalo Thedi cross button, washed gray buffalo Thedi cross zip, plus previously purchased black steer Vanson 'Enfield' and Aero brown HH Highwayman along with several dedicated MC riding jackets. IMO all fit well and easy to wear. .....The journey is over and just wearing them has become the joy.
HD

@Colin G , yep, congrats on your decision and good luck!

My year was also very uneventful. I bought some stuff that I wanted to see, sold even more. I have, however, found the jacket I am very happy with and I have to admit, right now I don't feel like I want to buy any other. Which is very strange for me. At least I can focus on other things.

I'm also going to Japan later this year though without any specific purchase goals. I do hope to find something cool there but if I don't, I'll be just as happy. Maybe that HH Schott.

All in all, 2019 wasn't such a lousy year for me. It wasn't particularly interesting, too, but that's not so bad either.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Great thread! My plan is to buy nothing at all next year, unless I manage to secure the funds by selling any jackets that get less wear. I recently started working part time, and while it is nice to have more free time, it has really had an effect on leather jacket disposable income.

So I’m afraid this’ll be mostly a spectator sport for me in 2019. With that said, my long term plan is to have two colder weather jackets, and two warmer weather jackets. One black and one brown of each. I have been obsessing over a grizzly jacket and a premier highwayman in the past couple of weeks.

I currently have one cold weather (aero blizzard) and four warm weather jackets (30’s halfbelt, dustbowl, Hooch hauler, Aeromarine, all in different shades of brown).
The Hooch hauler and the blizzard definitely stays, everything else is under consideration.

Black blizzard, brown grizzly, brown Hooch hauler, black premier highwayman, wouldn’t that be a well rounded and versatile collection?

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Well, I did not stick to all parts of my plan... bought a grizzly and a 59’er highwayman, sold the 30’s half belt. So instead of downsizing I grew my leather jacket stable.

This year for real though I have nothing that I want to buy. Won’t have the money to buy anything either. I will be on parental leave with my second daughter the whole of 2020, by the generous grace of the taxpayers. Having a whole year off work is going to be bliss. I’ll have a lot of time with my kids, and also a lot of time to think about where I want to take my life and my career next.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Seank

A-List Customer
2019 was good. Added a Brown FQHH Aero HWM, a BB Vic Aero Ridley, and a brown FQHH Aero Sheene to my Black Vic Aero Cafe Racer.
I also ordered a Cordovan Steerhide Sheene That should arrive in the coming weeks.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I’d determined not to buy any jackets at the start of the year but at some point decided my cross zips weren’t really good enough and went out and bought four, with the Vanson Model E with fur collar and belt being the highlight.

From a health perspective 2019 was a good year, I was diagnosed with prediabetes back in February and managed to reverse it through diet, intermittent fasting and mainly not eating any more sugar. I’d recommend Jason Fung’s ‘The Diabetes Code’ to anyone who has this condition, or knows someone who does.

This year I’m hoping to buy only one jacket, a vintage Cal. I’m hoping that I’ll be happy with the ones I have.

Last edited:

Frank Lesellier

Familiar Face
View attachment 155393 View attachment 155394 Just picked up my shortened Langlitz Sidewinder, had 2.5" taken off bottom. Langlitz said they wouldn't do the mod. had to find a leather shop that could. Other than a slight wavy stitching, it turned out good. Used Navetsea comment to add double zipper. I like the heft of the leather, style and fit.
Nice jacket, may i ask what is your height and chest size?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m waiting on a Bill Kelso
Custom. So far, Andy hasn’t got back to me re: my questions yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I was saying that I didn't want any more...
But...2019 saw 8 jacket purchases and only 2 sales.
This is not the ratio I was going for. I plan on selling off a few this Spring.

Colin G

One Too Many
I think I was saying that I didn't want any more...
But...2019 saw 8 jacket purchases and only 2 sales.
This is not the ratio I was going for. I plan on selling off a few this Spring.

I have had a one comes in, one must go out policy lately. I have one inbound slot left I am saving for my Japan trips and see what I can find. If that does not pan out I'd like a Monarch but I like a little thicker hide than what he likes to use.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I didn't pick up any leather jackets this year, although I got an Iron Heart Denim Mountain Parka.

Iron Heart Mountain Parka.jpg

Work was patchy, so I didn't have any spare cash for new jackets. In fact, the parka was my only clothing purchase last year.

This year I'd like to get my long delayed Good Wear jacket. Or maybe an Electric Leather Studio one...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Didn’t buy a single leather jacket in 2019. However, I did buy a few in 2018. I will probably get one or two out of storage in 2020.
✌️

SteveFord

A-List Customer
And today I'm waiting for a Fox Creek jacket and liner to be delivered.
It looks like I've got some B.O. damage to attend to at one armpit of the liner.
foxcreek1.jpg

foxcreek2.jpg

I have a hard time predicting what I’ll do next. Three things are certain. I will buy, I will sell, and I will repeat. Looking back at some photos...my collection has never looked the same from one year to the next. I have in mind the d pocket Herc and I really like the cross zip Greg posted the other day.
Could this be the year I finally buy an A-2?

No.

zebedee

One Too Many
No more leather jackets and I've also decided to wear them less often. I'm going to sell the Stockman and the Goat 50s HB and then just keep the Highwayman, Cafe Racer and Maxwell.

zebedee

One Too Many
2019 has now come and gone so I figured I'd bump this up and see how everyone fared. Did any of you stick to the plan or completely fall apart at the seams and buy more than you planned?

So, let's hear it. How did your 2019 shake out?

For me it was supposed to be a boots and belts year, and not jackets. I did not stick to my plan. I ended up buying two leather jackets and a waxed canvas winter coat but I also sold off a Lost Worlds ANJ-4 and got rid of my three Thedi jackets. I also ordered a new Langlitz motorcycle jacket so four went out and four came back.

As for boots ans belts, I grabbed 5 pairs of White's Boots and zero belts. I guess 2020 can be the year of the belt.

2020 will be a strange year for me. I plan on picking up one more leather jacket when I go to Japan next month and a pair of Wesco Mr Lou engineer boots and that is it.

2019 brought some great change to my life. At 48 I found myself with an imminent and forced career change. The company I worked at for the last 17 years shut down my division so I was out on the street and needed to make some critical life decisions about seeking new employment in a dying industry or make a 180 degree change and switch to something else. I weighed out my options and talked it over with my spouse and I have decided to go back to University in the fall of 2020 and finish off my Anthropology degree. These days a degree is the new high school diploma so in order to land a great paying job like I had, I will have to go back and finish my degree 18 years after I started. It always bothered me I never finished so now is my chance for redemption. I have about a year and half left so not a lot but enough. I'll be in class with kids half my age since I have some 100 level courses I never tackled. I have about four 400 level Anthropology classes and the rest is the 100 level BS I never took.

I wish all of you guys the best in 2020 and hope you can post up some wonderful finds in the new year. I'll be living vicariously through you fellas for the next year or so I am counting on you.
Good luck with this, man. I lost a job recently and had to fight my corner very hard and it may still be a few months before I see definite results.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Good luck with this, man. I lost a job recently and had to fight my corner very hard and it may still be a few months before I see definite results.
I have been considering an Eastman Windward 46L since trying one on at Standard & Strange before moving here, but it would be hard to rationalize while living on an island in the tropics.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I have been considering an Eastman Windward 46L since trying one on at Standard & Strange before moving here, but it would be hard to rationalize while living on an island in the tropics.
Jonesy, might nylon jackets be more suitable alternative for nice but quite humid air of beautiful Hawaii islands, esp. if speaking of monsoon seasons? Just as an idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto