Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite mystery or espionage novels?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Alan Furst's spy novels set around WWII are great, in particular "The Polish Officer" and "The World at Night."

HungaryTom

One Too Many
dienadel.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Has anyone read Donna Leon's "Guido Brunetti" mystery series? The first one is "Death At the Fenice." They take place in Venice and reflect realistic Venetian life. Brunetti is a good man and fullly realized on the page.

Also Trevanian's "Shibumi" is a great read; a parody, but not when you're 12, which was when I read it.
I read Trevanian's "Shibumi" when I was much younger and the descriptions of the protagonist's water garden stuck with me. Many years later, I purchased a 1st edition. This has been the case for many books that I read when I was much younger and want to reread. I'll find a good 1st edition and add it to my library.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Anything by Eric Ambler.

The Fortress and House of Cards by Stanley Ellin.

Nearly every Kinsey Milhone mystery novel by Sue Grafton. There are a couple that are merely good.

The Bryant and May novels by Christopher Fowler.

I could go on for hours. These will provide you with entertainment for several weeks.

I have not addressed any "splatter" mysteries or comedic ones. None of what I have suggested will leave you with an unpleasant aftertaste.

David V

A-List Customer
My wife and I are both fond of Margret Frazer's Dame Fravisse novels, about 15th century English nun. For someone in a cloister, she sure gets involved in a lot of murders!

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Wow! I've just now found this thread. It never ceases to amaze me how I come across FL threads I've not seen before.

I'm a big mystery fan. I think I've read, viewed, or heard of most of the authors mentioned here. As a kid I started out reading the Hardy Boys, then Nancy Drew and Fu Manchu, all Golden Era series. Recently I've really gotten interested in some of the Ancient Rome whodunnits. Lindsey Davis's Falco series, and Steven Saylor's "Roma Sub Rosa" series are really good, and a great way to learn about daily life way back when. Its hard to pick a favorite mystery author, but Ruth Rendell often comes to mind.

Old School QD

New in Town
Might I suggest Monstrum, by Donald James. It isn't set in the past, rather near-future Russia, but as I read it I got an old-time vibe from it and it's a decent story.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I finished reading Sebastian Faulk's Devil May Care: The New James Bond Novel.

I really enjoyed it. In fact, I think I like his writing style a lot better than Ian Fleming's.

Anyone else read it?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Die Nadel

AmateisGal said:
I LOVED this book. Haven't seen the movie, though.

Amateisgal,

In my case it was the other way - I saw first the movie (a lot of times-R.I.P. pooor VHS tape) than read the novel.

Both are excellent - just try to get the DVD.

Tom

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Anything by Barry Eisler. His newest thriller, Fault Line, is in bookstores now.
They are action packed and he goes out of his way to make sure all aspects of his novels are based in reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany