Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite mystery or espionage novels?

Corto

A-List Customer
I've combed The Fedora Lounge for a similar thread- but I couldn't find one. (If you know of one, could you please point me in the right direction?)

What are your favorite mystery novels? I'm dying to read something good.

Long ago I got spoiled by the clever intensity of John Le Carre and the casualness of Janwillem Van De Wetering. Who else writes a good "mystery" yarn?

I'm interested in well-written clever mind-games...

So...what's in the mystery section of your bookshelf?

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars

Corto

A-List Customer
Pilotguy299 said:

I read the first two and am a devotee of the last...The Nigel West books look fascinating. THANKS.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It's not at all vintage, but I just have to say I am a fan of the Sue Grafton alphabet series. My investigator mentor suggested those to me probably four years ago, and I have been going through the released books off and on when I need a "Sue Grafton fix".

I'm also a big fan of Agatha Christie. My absolute favorite of hers would have to be And Then There Were None. There's just something about a bunch of strangers inside a house being killed off.:)

Josephine

One Too Many
You've already read The Name of the Rose... I adore Agatha Christie. Her books are like comfort food to me. :)

I also like The Man Who never Was, and while not a mystery per se, it's a fascinating look into how a mystery was perpetrated. I've never seen the movie, only read the book. I also like Clancy novels, god help me, as I enjoy reading the details of the tortuous how things came to be.

If you want to go back in time, the Brother Cadfael mysteries are neat, they take place in the 1100s.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
what they said plus

My dad taught Elderhostels on Cadfael and I helped him get his notes together. Fond memories.
Almost all I read are mysteries. Ruth Rendell, Simenon, E.X. Ferrars, Doris Miles Disney,Charles Willeford, Dell Shannon, A.A. Fair/Erle Stanley Gardner, Jim Thompson, anything published for the Crime Club.
For espionage, I have read The Mask of Dimitrios a few times because I like it and never remember how it ends. Modesty Blaise and James Bond are two good 60s series that make me feel like I'm right there with them.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Hammet

Dashiel Hammet runs the course from hard boiled (Red Harvest & Maltese Falcon) to erudite and sophisticated (The Thin Man). You can't go wrong.

Corto

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
The Phillip Marlowe series...
I'm a Raymond Chandler fan. I've read "The Big Sleep" and I may have read "Farewell My Lovely" years ago...

Corto

A-List Customer
ScionPI2005 said:
It's not at all vintage, but I just have to say I am a fan of the Sue Grafton alphabet series. My investigator mentor suggested those to me probably four years ago, and I have been going through the released books off and on when I need a "Sue Grafton fix".

I'm also a big fan of Agatha Christie. My absolute favorite of hers would have to be And Then There Were None. There's just something about a bunch of strangers inside a house being killed off.:)

I'm not a huge Agatha Christie fan, but maybe it's time for another appraisal.
(Did you know that in the 1970's, Annapolis required Middies to read Christie in their Logic classes?)

I never actually considered Sue Grafton. I might check her out too.

Corto

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
You've already read The Name of the Rose... I adore Agatha Christie. Her books are like comfort food to me. :)

I also like The Man Who never Was, and while not a mystery per se, it's a fascinating look into how a mystery was perpetrated. I've never seen the movie, only read the book. I also like Clancy novels, god help me, as I enjoy reading the details of the tortuous how things came to be.

If you want to go back in time, the Brother Cadfael mysteries are neat, they take place in the 1100s.

I'm familiar with the PSYOP, that "The Man That Never Was", was attached to...I'll tack the book onto my to-read list.

If you like Clancy novels, you might enjoy the non-fiction "Blind Man's Bluff". It's about submarine operations during the Cold War. Lot's of "problem solving" of very difficult tasks. Totally fascinating.

Speaking of fascinating, the Brother Cadfael books look absolutely intriguing. I love historical fiction, especially if it's painstakingly researched, which these books seem to be. I'm also an Anglophile, so that's another plus. THANKS!

Corto

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
My dad taught Elderhostels on Cadfael and I helped him get his notes together. Fond memories.
Almost all I read are mysteries. Ruth Rendell, Simenon, E.X. Ferrars, Doris Miles Disney,Charles Willeford, Dell Shannon, A.A. Fair/Erle Stanley Gardner, Jim Thompson, anything published for the Crime Club.
For espionage, I have read The Mask of Dimitrios a few times because I like it and never remember how it ends. Modesty Blaise and James Bond are two good 60s series that make me feel like I'm right there with them.

A lot of people have recommended Eric Ambler to me at one point or another. Will give him another looksee. Thanks!

Corto

A-List Customer
jdbenson said:
Dashiel Hammet runs the course from hard boiled (Red Harvest & Maltese Falcon) to erudite and sophisticated (The Thin Man). You can't go wrong.

I loved "Red Harvest"!

I didn't know that the nature of his writing evolved- so I'll check out "The Thin Man".
I think he's a fantastic writer.

Corto

A-List Customer
Senator Jack said:
I've always like the espionage thrillers that had some sort of cathartic point. A few suggestions:

Graham Greene's Our Man in Havana and The Comedians
Kingsley Amis' The Anti-Death League
Anthony Burgess' Tremor of Intent

I loved "Man in Havana" but I never got into "The Comedians". I might give that one another go.

I like Martin Amis' work, but never read Kingsley.

I'm also interested to see what else the mind that conceived "A Clockwork Orange" produced.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot